Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Hobby King

Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Sorry for you getting had, Dahawk, but thanks for that image above. Too funny!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

No worries at all Nigel,

It's the Sapac, not the Lanyu. Not sure they even sell the Lanyu anymore. I opened it and it's just lacking in many regards. Dual arm servo for ailerons that run the entire length of the wing. Horns are near the root and are suppose to provide moment for about 700mm each way.

Tail feathers look very weak. Manual (downloaded) is awful. I'm sure I'll get her to fly, just had my expectations set too high. Would need a lot of modding to do her right. I think I may just slap her together as is and give her a go. Drop in a 64mm edf w/ 50 amp esc. have some htx 900 servos. If she's a keeper, I'll be inspired go from there.

I'm spoiled with the Red Arrows 50mm JPowers T-45. Much smaller but built better.

Cheers,

Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 12-11-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nor worries at all Nigel,

It's the Sapac, not the Lanyu. Not sure they even sell the Lanyu anymore. I opened it and it's just lacking in many regards. Dual arm servo for ailerons that run the entire length of the wing. Horns are near the root and are suppose to provide moment for about 700mm each way.
In fact - don't knock the torque rod ailerons ... that was the way for years - to keep weight down. We didn't have 9gr servos then !! they work exceptionally well ... My Lanyu has that as well ... no problem.

Tail feathers look very weak. Manual (downloaded) is awful. I'm sure I'll get her to fly, just had my expectations set too high. Would need a lot of modding to do her right. I think I may just slap her together as is and give her a go. Drop in a 64mm edf w/ 50 amp esc. have some htx 900 servos. If she's a keeper, I'll be inspired go from there.
I'm surprised by the comments as the SAPAC is generally regarded as a good machine. Lot of people hot them up with literally only EDF modifications.

I'm spoiled with the Red Arrows 50mm JPowers T-45. Much smaller but built better.

Cheers,

Hawk
I do agree though that the 50mm 's are a good little machine ...

The Lanyu (TW-750-1) is available but via a different suppliers name - volantexRC.com and the price is much higher ... I contacted them and discussed supply ... way way out there in space on shipping etc. Seems they do not supply HK anymore.

I reckon you'll put the 64 together ... put it up there where it belongs and smile !!

I know my Lanyu does ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzAKirB5mGc

Nigel
Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Have to give HK a tip of the hat. Placed an order on International site tonight and within 2 hours received the checker bot notice and then shipping acknowledgement. It still may take 2-3 weeks to get here but the response time on order fulfillment was the best I've experienced thus far.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I think maybe even HK customer service is improving. I recently had one of their YEP 120HV ESC's causing me problems. I shot a video and took some photos and raised an RMA. It took them best part of two weeks to reply but when they did I was gived a store credit for the full value without having to return the ESC.

ok, a quicker response would have been nice and a refund in cash better than store credit, but overall i think they did ok. This experience is certainly a lot better than similar dealings I've had with a manufacturer of supposed premium quality (and certainly premium price) ARF models (mentioning no names 'Precision Aerobatics') from whom I never even got so much as a response to an RMA request.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I think it always unfair when people knock a seller for faulty product that 99% of the time is not their manufacture ... the crunch of course comes when you deal with the seller CS to get satisfaction.

Some Ebay sellers mistakenly tell you to contact manufacturer - in blatant disregard of T&C of Ebay and Standard Retail practice online and over counter.

HK has taken a lot of knocks in past and I cannot say if fair or not.

My HK experience so far with lots of orders made with them :

Recently I have had an ESC fail - sorted in about 20 mins on Chat ...

I have been supplied a 9xr that failed first days use - they sent replacement after I sent Video and competed RMA sheet. I did not have to send back faulty.
Sadly the replacement did similar - again they sent replacement after I sent video ... I did not have to send back either of the two faulty - in fact I have been told to keep them and do as I like with them.

I have had follow up emails asking directly my comments and thoughts on service ... this is additional to the standard auto-emails of shipping etc.

I cannot fault the CS I have had over these items. The faulty product - is another matter and basically out of the hands of the box-mover - which HK is in reality.

I have to say well done HK for my items.

Nigekl
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I'm not sure HK can be resolved of all responsibility of the quality of the products they sell, especially when the products are Hobbyking exclusive lines, like the Turnigy 9X or HobbyKing YEP.

Sure, HK get a 3rd party to manufacture but they still can control the QA standards that that 3rd party works to. They can also stop carrying lines that have poor quality.

But as long as the failure rate is reasonably low and customer service does the right thing then they are doing ok. I've got to say that two out of three failures on your 9Xr doesnt really install a lot of confidence, but maybe you were just VERY unlucky.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:33 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

My last several orders from HK China arrived in 8 days from date of order.

My last one from USA warehouse arrived in 4.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Maybe they had an epiphany, recognizing there are alternative sources out there winning business on the basis of customer service. I've heard they have cleaned house and have new management. That's good news for all of us.

As the 800# gorilla, they sure take their share of bashing. I'm first to acknowledge the good. So HK, if you're listening, keep up the good work !
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
My last several orders from HK China arrived in 8 days from date of order.

My last one from USA warehouse arrived in 4.
I have been happy with shipping from HK China, usually taking 2 weeks...but now I have been getting a lot of Post Fiji. MY retracts came Post Fiji, took 41 days :/
As long as you don't get Post Fiji it will be okay.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

talking about shipping. I'm not sure if HK do this for other destinations but for shipping from the China warehouse to the UK they now offer what they call 'Direct Channel' service.

Turns out that what this means is they group a bunch of orders into a single large package then ship it express to the UK. Someone must then collect the package from the airport (Heathrow) splits up all the individual orders and posts then UK domestic mail. The postal tracking shows them to be posted by UK domestic mail from a post office near Heathrow airport.

This seems to work out quicker than standard international airmail, it may also help get under the UK customs radar. Cost is about the same as normal airmail.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

All of mine from China recently have been Swiss Post.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:57 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
...........I've got to say that two out of three failures on your 9Xr doesnt really install a lot of confidence, but maybe you were just VERY unlucky.
If You think I'm confident - then please think again ... I haven't got home yet to test the 3rd 9xr ...

But the fault appears to sit in the same item part ... and I've read posts on 9xr forums on similar. HK wouldn't actually confirm they had a 'batch' problem - but they did say they were actively looking into manufacture - gave impression that may be the case.

Thousands of 9xr's are out there with people happy users .... already forums up and running with 000's of posts ... amount is rivalling that of the 9x .. maybe more. So it cannot all be bad.

If the radio had been over-counter purchase - I probably would have changed to another brand or model. But being HK online and a purchase of $83 total (incl. some other gear and shipping) I was willing to let ride and try replacements. If it had been $380 - it's a different ball-game ...

Nigel
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Fingers crossed that 'third time's a charm'.

Yep, I'm with you on the point that you can generally forgive a lot more when the stuff is bargain basement priced vs. top dollar hardware.

On the other hand a transmitter or receiver is a little different in my book. It's not so much the cost of the actual transmitter or receiver but the 'consequential damage' it could do when it fails. This of course could in a worst case be a lot more than just the dollar cost of your model.

Though it's also true that all brands have problems from time to time so there are no guarantees.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:54 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I agree that a Tx is not just a toy to accept it works or is faulty and no risk to others.
But I am lucky that rarely am I in location that risks public etc.

A crash where I fly is worst case a hole in ground or maybe own car dented !

But before anyone mis-understands me .. I am not irresponsible enough to just go out and fly with the radio ... I will do a lot of checking ... range-testing etc. before that happens.

Nigel

Last edited by solentlife; 03-29-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 PM
bacibear

Default Beware of hobby king!

Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
Safe to order from? Are there any other sites that are good for ordering from, aware of tower hobbies but they seem fairly limited in their supplies. Thanks. Scott
HOBBYKING SCREWED ME!
I ordered a product from hobbyking. Because they state that it can take up to 39 business days for a product to arrive, i (not so patiently) waited 39 days before requesting a refund. Now i can't dispute the item with paypal because it has exceeded how long you can wait before registering a dispute. Hobbyking has several time and continues to give me the run around.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Porcia83

You haven't given enough info. Did you order something that was in stock, or on backorder. Also, you aren't outside of the timeframe to file for PP, who told you you were? You have 45 days to do so.

Also, if you backed your purchase via PP with a credit card, that is your next avenue of recovery. File a chageback with them. While it sucks to not get your item, you also have to stay on top of things and not blame vendors when you don't act to protect yourself accordingly. But again, in this instance you still have time. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:55 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by bacibear View Post
HOBBYKING SCREWED ME!
I ordered a product from hobbyking. Because they state that it can take up to 39 business days for a product to arrive, i (not so patiently) waited 39 days before requesting a refund. Now i can't dispute the item with paypal because it has exceeded how long you can wait before registering a dispute. Hobbyking has several time and continues to give me the run around.
HK has had a lot of shipping issues to the US lately. They are not the only company however. You should always know when the PAYPAL limit is for an order. Just because HK says it can take up to 39 days doesn't mean you can't file a claim if you think it's lost in the mail.

I had a batch of RX's go missing from LemonRx and filed a successful claim with PAYPAL. It's their job to track down their package, not yours.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:22 PM
carpetbagger

Hobby King sucks. Saving a few bucks isn't worth the nightmare for me.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 PM
bacibear

Default Chargeback via PayPal?

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
You haven't given enough info. Did you order something that was in stock, or on backorder. Also, you aren't outside of the timeframe to file for PP, who told you you were? You have 45 days to do so.

Also, if you backed your purchase via PP with a credit card, that is your next avenue of recovery. File a chageback with them. While it sucks to not get your item, you also have to stay on top of things and not blame vendors when you don't act to protect yourself accordingly. But again, in this instance you still have time. Good luck.
The items were in stock. I did several online help chats with HK, and they said not to worry. So I thought I would "follow the ruless" and contact PayPal once the 39 day delivery window passed. The 39 day time frame is WORKING days, which amounts to more than 45 ACTUAL days. PayPal told me I am too late.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:39 AM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
Hobby King sucks. Saving a few bucks isn't worth the nightmare for me.
Are you speaking from first hand experience, or basing your opinion on others stories?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by bacibear View Post
The items were in stock. I did several online help chats with HK, and they said not to worry. So I thought I would "follow the ruless" and contact PayPal once the 39 day delivery window passed. The 39 day time frame is WORKING days, which amounts to more than 45 ACTUAL days. PayPal told me I am too late.
O/K, was your PP account backed up with a credit card? If so, file a dispute with them.

Did the order ever get processed at HK, it's odd that you would have received nothing from them, no status e-mails, no shipping info etc. They had issues at the beginning of the year with lipos (was your order for batteries)?

If you're only option is dealing with HK, open a ticket and go through that process. Some have had their issues resolved right away, others have had to wait.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:45 AM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
Are you speaking from first hand experience, or basing your opinion on others stories?
Definitely saving more than a few bucks, especially on electronics. You can get a motor, esc, batteries for less than what say an eflite motor costs. My big 3548 motor is less than a small 400 eflite.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

Has it been 39 days without being shipped or shipped but in transit.
If in transit what shipping method did you choose?
I have never used the cheapest option as that can take months. The cheapest options for larger items are not airmail and are shipped by boat. Depending on the cargo vessel and the route it takes from port to port it can take months for a package to arrive.
Last Friday I ordered from both hobbyking and great hobbies here in Canada. Both packages where delivered to me Wednesday morning. Even by using the more expensive shipping options I still save money over buying locally.
Also, if you order 100 items in a single order and only one is back ordered the entire order is held till the back ordered item is back in stock. If it never comes back in stock you need to cancel the order and get a refund.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:44 AM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Great hobbies isn't perfect either, I ordered a 130x redbull, no confirmation of shipping so I cancelled it, emailing them a few times, no response, telling them I wanted a 450x instead. Well I have that 130x now, and the 450x is on it's way too...too much spending. Argh!

Quick Reply: Hobby King

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11354 seconds with 11 queries