Aerodynamics Discuss the concepts of aerodynamics here

New Phoenix Evolution power glider settings ???

Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 AM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

Default New Phoenix Evolution power glider settings ???

I've got a few hours flying but not quite an expert yet.
I recently purchased a Lanyu Phoenix Evolution convertible wing span power glider. I'm totally impressed so far by the design and build of the aircraft.
After several hours putting it together and making all my adjustments the maiden flight was a disaster. I rushed in too fast and at low altitude got sideways and lost all lift. POP! After digging it out of the ground lol, I was able to fix all the damage.
Now I'm tasking it slower. I set up dual rate on my DX6i radio and put my servo arms for control surfaces on outer most opening in horns. I lowered the travel distance on my radio of the ail and elev.

What else can I do to slow down a big glider like this?
My controll surface angles are as follows--- Ail up 8deg down 10deg, Elev. up and down 8 deg. Rudder 20 deg ALL AT FULL STICK I changed these from much greater angles from factory.
Any suggestions on angles or anything I'm missing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	938.3 KB
ID:	179139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	179140  
Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Not sure what your real question is here, but the throws you list are inadequate, especially if you find yourself in a thermal and having problems trying to get the aircraft down.

There's a different mindset to flying a powered sailplane vs a sport aerobatic type or extremely different from flying a 3D style airplane. Apply gentle amounts of stick and wait for response... don't try for abrupt maneuvers. The only time the sticks get far from center is when the airplane is in deep trouble. (and hopefully with plenty of altitude for the recovery)

You have to plan where you want the plane to go well ahead of it getting there.

If you think the sticks are too sensitive then dial in significant expo.... but you will want the factory recommended throws (or more) at full stick.
Some sailplanes will benefit from a large aileron differntial, eg double the angle up vs down. Low speed and ailerons can result in a turn opposed to the direction of applied aileron. the one that goes down can add so much drag that the rudder can not compensate for the yaw.

I used to do laps arouond the field inverted with a 3 ch rudder-elev-throttle sailplane with exaggerated polyhedral... Like balancing a bowling ball on a bb.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:42 AM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

Thanks for the reply. You are answering my questions. I'm still learning and every bit of information helps.
The differential idea sounds very good ( more up on ailerons than down). Ail drag is what caused my crash, too much drag on left wing while banking left. I will set up the differential that way.
The throws, I guess I should add more back in but I was trying to limit its response. It's been A while since I have flown my calypso sail plane but I seem to remember it being more gentle and I was going for that feel again.
They are however different planes and the characteristics are going to be different.
Thanks again and keep suggestions coming!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

It won't hurt anything to have 100% (all up, no down) aileron differential... except the reduced roll rate.

The 2 controls that you absolutely must not limit lower than factory spec are rudder and elevator.