E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Caution the first time you start Blade CP

Old 08-26-2005, 09:28 PM
RichM
Still Trying

Exclamation Caution the first time you start Blade CP

Watch your fingers the first time you turn on your new Blade. Mine wouldn't run. I talked with Tech support, who had me try "a few things." One of which resulted in the Blade starting up at 100% throttle, although the xmitter stick was set to idle. Tech support sent a set a crystals and a new 4in1. By the time the parts arrived, the bruise on my hand has almost disappeared.

Installing the new parts, I turned on the electronics just to have the Blade fling itself into the air, fall to the basement floor, and thrash about until I was able to disconnect the battery cable. The cuts to my hand only bled for a short time.

After much experimenting, I found that if I reversed the throttle switch on the xmitter, pushed the stick and trim to full, the Blade would then respond normally. EXCEPT, pulling back on the stick would increase the motor's rpm and advancing the stick would retard, then stop, the motor.

Horizon says they've never heard of such a thing - "send it in so we can see." E-mail from UPS today tells me that Horizon has received it and I await a repaired or new model.

So, you might want to keep that in mind the first time you turn on your brand new Blade. Happened once, could happen again.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by RichM
Watch your fingers the first time you turn on your new Blade. Mine wouldn't run. I talked with Tech support, who had me try "a few things." One of which resulted in the Blade starting up at 100% throttle, although the xmitter stick was set to idle. Tech support sent a set a crystals and a new 4in1. By the time the parts arrived, the bruise on my hand has almost disappeared.

Installing the new parts, I turned on the electronics just to have the Blade fling itself into the air, fall to the basement floor, and thrash about until I was able to disconnect the battery cable. The cuts to my hand only bled for a short time.

After much experimenting, I found that if I reversed the throttle switch on the xmitter, pushed the stick and trim to full, the Blade would then respond normally. EXCEPT, pulling back on the stick would increase the motor's rpm and advancing the stick would retard, then stop, the motor.

Horizon says they've never heard of such a thing - "send it in so we can see." E-mail from UPS today tells me that Horizon has received it and I await a repaired or new model.

So, you might want to keep that in mind the first time you turn on your brand new Blade. Happened once, could happen again.
WOW,You had all the trouble,thanks for the heads up.I think everyone should strap it down to a table and back up to check it out first time.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:30 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

All Futaba radios have to have the throttle channel reversed. Found out the hard way as you did. On a Hummingbird a few yrs ago, when I did finally reverse the throttle when nothing else worked, went up to the ceiling, across to the wall, fell to the floor and beat itself to death. Now on any electric I take the rotor blades or propellers off till he radio is completely programmed.:p
Old 08-27-2005, 07:01 AM
RichM
Still Trying

Default Throttle reversal

Originally Posted by flypaper 2
All Futaba radios have to have the throttle channel reversed. Found out the hard way as you did. On a Hummingbird a few yrs ago, when I did finally reverse the throttle when nothing else worked, went up to the ceiling, across to the wall, fell to the floor and beat itself to death. Now on any electric I take the rotor blades or propellers off till he radio is completely programmed.:p
Hmm, I must not have been clear enough. Let me try again. First, the Blade comes with its own xmitter, so they all should work as per the manual.

With the xmitter throttle stick switch in NORMAL, the engine won't start 95% of the time regardless of the stick position - all the way down, 10% up, 50% up, 80% up, or full forward (100% up.) The only time this configuration has started is when the throttle stick was full down - 0% advance, or what's usually referred to as "idle position." Those few starts has resulted in a rapidly erratic, fluctuating motor run ranging from near zero rpm to 100% rpm without moving the stick.

With the xmitter throttle switch in REV, startup is always normal, except full on is off and full down is 100% rpm. The 4in1 activates ONLY if the throttle is at 100% (resulting in zero motor rpm), but will not activate if the throttle stick is in any other position. i.e. in this configuration, fail-safe, or safe start, when connecting the battery on the copter works as expected. The motor runs as expected, albeit on is off and off is on.

Bottom line is that in no configuration does my Blade work as designed, expected, or desired. That is, unless you really want to set on the ground with the throttle stick pushed fully forward and fly with the stick retarded to near the idle position. It sure would make it interesting switching between the Blade and my Raptor.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:56 PM
ZIGZAG

Hi
Just a thought
All radio testing of an electric heli should be done with the motors un pluged.
If the motors are to be tested it should be done with the motor gears not in contact with each other.
Hope this helps
ZIGZAG
Old 08-28-2005, 02:56 AM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

What is truely wierd is they are all supposed to be test flown prior to shipment. Maybe something got bumped in shipping?

We have not had any reports on that. One thing I'd like to mention, if you "strap" it down, don't use the skids. Rig up something from the main frame to hold it as the skids will just come right off.

Sorry you had so much trouble. So far mine has been trouble free. As with all of my customers. Of course factory trouble free, not necessarily anxious pilot syndrom
Old 08-29-2005, 11:10 PM
RichM
Still Trying

Zigzag -- Believe it or not, I was actually following the directions. All preflight had been done and it was power-on time for the first test flight.

Debhicks -- Ya, the tech and I talked about the factory tests, too, and he thought the same thing. Hey, stuff happens. I'm really not down on the machine and everyone I've talked to, that has one, really like theirs. Thanks for the heads up on tying down the skids 'cause that's what I was thinking of doing when the new/repair one gets here. Maybe I'll just wrap a dog chain around the canopy and tail boom.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Debhicks -- Ya, the tech and I talked about the factory tests, too, and he thought the same thing. Hey, stuff happens. I'm really not down on the machine and everyone I've talked to, that has one, really like theirs. Thanks for the heads up on tying down the skids 'cause that's what I was thinking of doing when the new/repair one gets here. Maybe I'll just wrap a dog chain around the canopy and tail boom.
Hope it's for a very small chiuaua. DOG (SPELLING)

I think ours is a blast anyway. I am still using training gear. Pop ups (rarely do they occur) are not near as tramatic as they could be.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:06 PM
ARLO

Hello Richie I had the very same thing happen to me twice, once on setting up the heli that sent the heli flying around the room. I brought it in to the store I bought it at and the owner tried to correct the problem and the heli did the same thing again right off the counter! Lucky for us no injury ever occured. The difference with my blade was the 4 in 1 receiver was defective,the tail rotor didn't work. I had to send it in to repair it. 3-1\2 wks later I got it back & it did seem to work but it's still tempermental. Twichy and now 2months later I need new batteries,& the frame is cracked, reglue when needed
Old 09-10-2005, 02:23 AM
RichM
Still Trying

Well, I got my Blade back today (10/9) and I must admit to being a little disappointed with Horizon Hobby.

UPS should have delivered it 10/6, but Horizon used the wrong zip code AGAIN. I even made special mention of it in my cover letter. ALso, they said they replaced the main rotor blades, but there are cuts in the covering and the balance tape is folded back on itself. Also, The mounting velcro is still on the battery but they removed it from the 'copter frame. Speaking of which. You know those spacer/tube thingies that are on the frame wires? I'm now missing some.

However, the worst is that my canopy looks like someone beat it with a ballpeen hammer and there is a shattered portion leaving a 1/4x3/8 hole in the side of the canopy. The recvr. battery was not in the proper location in the foam packing and it looks like it beat the h#ll out of the canopy in transit.

I won't be able to try it until at least Monday. Probably a good thing because all I need now is to turn it on and find that it still doesn't work! Wish me luck...
Old 09-10-2005, 03:50 AM
ARLO

Thumbs up misprint

RichM Iknow what your dealing with so my feelings is give up on the blade while your ahead. I got a new battery a 3rd, and I couldn't get the thing of the ground!!! I don't know If cooked the bty or what ! I did leave the bty on timer but 3hrs oops! The point is you start nickle & diming it till you just want to crash & burn it!! I bought the the Hirobo XRB after giving up & it's a better deal though it's smaller it's easier to use for now. I think bigger is better when your ready for an upgrade because they handle better and stay with an elec. they are easier to fly any where since less noise. But learn how to control the smaller ones 1st. Then if you want to spend time and money if you haven't lost it by then. I get frustrated trying to set up these heli's and every time it hits something inevitably its starts all over!And yes good luck is the key word! Arlo

Last edited by ARLO; 09-10-2005 at 04:00 AM. Reason: typeo's
Old 09-21-2005, 03:47 AM
Gary Hoorn
Chesepeake Bay RC Club

Always remove all blades from any E-Heli before you arm it the first time. On the eFlite Blade simply unplug the tail motor after removing the main blades. Make sure the main rotor is rotating in the correct direction. Shut down and plug in the tail motor still without any main blades. Hold onto the landing gear but keep away from the flybar and arm the Heli. Check for correct operation of the tail rotor. Only after performing these checks should you install the main blades and begin to check tracking etc. Using this method would have avoided the crashes and the disapointments you experienced.
Gary
Old 09-21-2005, 06:29 AM
ARLO

Default the blade

Hi Gary I think your advice is fine but what bothers me is that this shouldn't happen! I don't know if other company's have these mishaps since I've never seen them posted. As for the blade I have, the gyro is still twichy. I think you need to spend a fair amount on any type electronic / rc equip. to get decent quality control! If you notice the web sites that sell these rc heli's, trucks, etc don't want to service or replace the unit once you take it out of the box. With the exception of some stores. Well I almost gave up on the blade while using the hirobo xrb counter blade heli to get more familiar with flying and it worked. I fly the xrb outside with almost trouble free flying ecept for that little gust of wind that blew it into a tree! I rebuilt it''s tail with tooth picks,it completely broke apart, yeah and used that modelers crazy glue & paint & it works great! As for the Blades shaft retaining pin hole got bigger & I cliped a large paperclip and filed it down & Viola! it fly's once again. Now some videoc

n
Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Gary Hoorn
Chesepeake Bay RC Club

Arlo,
I agree it should not happen but unfortunately it does. Electronic devices of any kind can and do fail. I have always felt that any object like an electric powered vehicle should be treated with respect as they can start up with no warning. The amount of energy available makes any electric Heli a device to be respected. I see people holding them in their hand and spooling up to maximum RPM. I always move away when I see this going on. A thrown blade can do serious damage.
Gary
Old 11-09-2005, 03:48 AM
timothysplante

my blade works great but if I turn off transmitter before i disconnect battery it will spin up when I set it on my pc
Old 11-09-2005, 04:26 AM
zappedalaskan

Originally Posted by timothysplante View Post
my blade works great but if I turn off transmitter before i disconnect battery it will spin up when I set it on my pc
You should never, for any reason turn off the transmitter before unplugging your battery. That applies to any rc model. Without your TX on your rc is likely to do anything.
Jay
Old 11-09-2005, 05:03 AM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by zappedalaskan View Post
You should never, for any reason turn off the transmitter before unplugging your battery. That applies to any rc model. Without your TX on your rc is likely to do anything.
Jay
Agreed 100% and it is what we are instructed to do. On power up TX goes on first, then the RX. On powering down reverse the sequence, ALWAYS!