Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

79 Inch CMP Kunlun 200E

Old 02-28-2009, 03:19 AM
diverdon

Default 79 Inch CMP Kunlun 200E

Hello , Has anyone ever heard or this plane ?? It is on sale thru nitro planes for $88 of $100 with shipping . I was about to order it as I have no planes with that wingspan.. I read where the fuselage is fibreglass . Could this be a good thing ? And not break like foam ones ?

Any tips or hints would be appreciated.. Thanks , Don J.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kunlun.gif
Views:	359
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	95031  
Old 05-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Mark963

I"ve got one, but it isn't assembled yet. I've heard issues about the CG (it's too far back as-assembled) and the wing structure was made with the webbing running horizontally, not vertically as the gods intended, so there have been wing failures. Check over on RC Groups for some discussions.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 AM
diverdon

Originally Posted by Mark963 View Post
I"ve got one, but it isn't assembled yet. I've heard issues about the CG (it's too far back as-assembled) and the wing structure was made with the webbing running horizontally, not vertically as the gods intended, so there have been wing failures. Check over on RC Groups for some discussions.
Hi Mark , Mine's together and I haven't flown it yet but with the trouble with the COG doesn't seem to be a problem . I did mine like I saw a few other things I did not like so I changed a few things , The wing got mounted in such a way as to be removeable .. And the crazy rudder linkage pull - pull cables .. I did not like them So I set it up with a single stiff wire .. Works Great ..

If I can Help anyone in putting one of these together I wi ll be happy to try to help ... Goodnite ... Don J.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 PM
websterphreaky
Banned

Default Follow up

Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Hi Mark , Mine's together and I haven't flown it yet but with the trouble with the COG doesn't seem to be a problem . I did mine like I saw a few other things I did not like so I changed a few things , The wing got mounted in such a way as to be removeable .. And the crazy rudder linkage pull - pull cables .. I did not like them So I set it up with a single stiff wire .. Works Great ..

If I can Help anyone in putting one of these together I wi ll be happy to try to help ... Goodnite ... Don J.
Diverdon,

It's been a while since your posting, I've just purchased one of these Kunlun's and heard all the horror stories, so would you mind a good report on how your's flies and what changes you had to make. (photos would be appreciated)

A flying buddy of mine has the Omei, a predicessor to the Kunlun and he loves his except that he has to dial in nearly 7% up Elevator to keep level flight.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 PM
ggroyal1117

Default CMP Kunlun

I am almost finished with my new Kunlun. I made a battery tray right behind the motor (Scorpion 3026-710V2) and added 4 ounces of lead weight under the motor to get the correct CG. Also I am using a 4-cell 2200 lipo. This is the only problem I can find with this plane.

George G. Royal
Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
ggroyal1117

Default Kunlun

Battery tray and lead weights

Name:	Kunlun8.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	111432  
Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 AM
ggroyal1117

Finished the Kunlun today.

CG=50mm

Weight without battery=1422g/50oz

Added 3oz of lead to right behind and under motor.

Hope to fly it this weekend.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:43 AM
websterphreaky
Banned

Question

Originally Posted by ggroyal1117 View Post
Finished the Kunlun today.

CG=50mm

Weight without battery=1422g/50oz

Added 3oz of lead to right behind and under motor.

Hope to fly it this weekend.
3 oz of lead up front is still a lot, was shocked when you originally reported that you had 4 oz up there. What does you 4S battery weigh?

What size prop are you planning on using with that Scorpion 3026 710Kv motor? Curious with your plan to use a 4S LiPO.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 AM
ggroyal1117

MPI 12x6 folding prop with 45mm turbo spinner from www.rcdude.com
4S 2200-2600mah(six different brands) 8.5oz
Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 AM
websterphreaky
Banned

Exclamation Did you test your amp output???

MPI 12x6 folding prop with 45mm turbo spinner from www.rcdude.com
4S 2200-2600mah(six different brands) 8.5oz
With a 4S LiPO (14.8v), that's a LOT of volts with a 710Kv motor to be spinning a 12x6 prop! 14.8 x 710 = 10,508 RPMs. Did you check the Amp output before you burn up your ESC or worse, the motor?

Nothing worse than losing an ESC in flight, which means a non responsive Rx and controls. Happened to me a couple times, (collected the piles of Balsa for the garbage), now I use a separate Rx battery.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 AM
ggroyal1117

RCUDE has a chart for all there Scorpion motors.
The chart showed 38 amps using a 4-cell and 12x6 prop.
I get the same results with a watt meter. (a first for me). The watt meter is worth every penny. I am using a Phoenix ICE 50.
Thanks for the reminder.

George
Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 AM
websterphreaky
Banned

A 50A ESC is a good safety margin size for a measured 38A load from the motor. My flying friends that have long histories with E powered planes and cars have all said to plan for a 20% margin over the actual measured load.

Post your first couple of flight experiences, please. We all learn from those that have been there - done that, especially with the less than perfectly engineered Kunlun.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM
ggroyal1117

I cut a channel next to the wing spar and epoxied a carbon fiber rod(4mm flat) to it on the bottom side of the wing. Also made sure the steel rod was even. The wing ended up weighing 486g/17oz. I forgot to weigh it before I added the CF. Added small piece of hardwood to the back wing saddle and tapped for 10-24 nylon wing bolts.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 AM
ggroyal1117

This setup looks good, but it will not work. I swapped the receiver/ESC location with the battery location. This is the hardest plane to balance. I have four 50cc gassers that did not require added weight to balance.

Name:	Kunlun6.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	111466  
Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 PM
websterphreaky
Banned

This setup looks good, but it will not work. I swapped the receiver/ESC location with the battery location. This is the hardest plane to balance. I have four 50cc gassers that did not require added weight to balance.
Let me get this straight, this picture is of the config that does or does not work? Are you finding the battery need to be by the motor or back where the manufacturer had intended on their battery tray??

Why bother with the wing mod? This is not an acrobatic plane; the design is intended as the mfr advertises as a motor glider / soarer. I've looked closely at the wing design and see no reason to reinforce it. I've had many other gliders with wings of the same design and connecting rod lengths in comparison to the wing length and have never had a problem with a failure.

If you plan on over flying (stressing) the design, any plane's wing will fail. And I really believe that all the complaints of wing failures on the Kunlun and Omei are due to pilot error (over stressing the design), not a design flaw.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 PM
ggroyal1117

The battery tray was moved to right behind the motor to get the correct CG.

This is my first sailplane/glider with a motor. I know I have a lot to learn, but I like to experiment with different setups. I like to look at other peoples modifications and try to use them on the plane I am building. The forums have been a great source of really good info. I will post the results of this weekend on the maiden flight of the Kunlun. I hope my next plane will be easier to balance and there won't be any issues on the wing breaking.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 AM
websterphreaky
Banned

The battery tray was moved to right behind the motor to get the correct CG.

This is my first sailplane/glider with a motor. I know I have a lot to learn, but I like to experiment with different setups. I like to look at other peoples modifications and try to use them on the plane I am building. The forums have been a great source of really good info. I will post the results of this weekend on the maiden flight of the Kunlun. I hope my next plane will be easier to balance and there won't be any issues on the wing breaking.
George,

Nearly everyone that has build this model and it's predicessor the Omei had learned that putting the battery in the factory spot would never work because of the CG issues, and all have made some modifications to secure the battery up front just behind what ever motor they chose.

I did the same and also built a bulkhead between the battery and the motor just in case I have a hard landing so battery doesn't impact the back of the motor.

A tip I learned a long time ago - 1) don't be the first to buy a newly released RC model, and 2) Google the model for reviews and forum postings to see what others had problems with before buying any model.

I bought the Kunlun anyway because my buddy has the Omei and loves it after modifying it and I saw the some of the complaints (wing failure) were more flyers faults than design faults.

Look forward to hearing about your first flights.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Mark963

I guess you can fly tissue very gently and not break a weak wing, but many of us expect a streamlined, heavy bird like this to take some abuse. It's well documented that the spar webbing is oriented the wrong way and that makes for a very low load capacity. Every book and reference I've seen calls it simply "wrong" to orient the grain in the direction of the wing and not vertically where the load will be.

I think some of the tail heaviness comes from an excessively epoxied vertical stabilizer. It looks nice, but seems to weigh a lot as does the rudder itself. A recent review really took that a step further, resulting a significant weight reduction.

http://www.manfredkaiser.com/cmpro_kunlun_review.html
Old 06-28-2010, 01:51 AM
Nuclear

sooo, anyone reinforce the wing? or kept it stock and flown at
specificied tepid WarmLiner?

what power set ups are you all using? 400-700 watts?
please list your sets up? (esc/motor/props ....etc....)
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Nuclear

.....anyone.....
Old 09-27-2018, 12:03 AM
CaptRon

I just purchased this kit and look forward to building it .