Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Bird of Time Electric Conversion

Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 PM
SunDevilPilot

A little windy for video but here are the results:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edh1poKpvu0[/media]

I haven't quite figured out YouTube so I haven't uploaded the HD Version successfully yet. The camera recorded the flight in 720P but I have to compress it slightly to get it to upload. Will keep trying to get the better version up.

SunDevilPilot

Last edited by SunDevilPilot; 09-27-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default BOT

SDP!!

Nice video!! I wish I could fly that well!! That looks like a great flying field, no huge trees, & the cacti look to be the tallest things around. (Except for that windsock)

If you get a plane in a tree here, it could be as high as 150+ ft.

BTW! Very nice craftsmanship on the electric conversion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 PM
wilmracer

I am insanely jealous of your flying field... Nice video!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

"arrghhh" yee matey......tiss a fine view from they crows nest indeed
Best to be kept a weather eye on the horizon

why is the rum always gone....
Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 PM
SunDevilPilot

Thanks for the comments. The windsocks are usually not a problem. I made a "Pitt Pass" at the request of my flying buddies who wanted to get in the video. You can seen them sitting in the shade as I flew over the awnings.

SunDevilPilot
Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default BOT

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot View Post
Thanks for the comments. The windsocks are usually not a problem. I made a "Pitt Pass" at the request of my flying buddies who wanted to get in the video. You can seen them sitting in the shade as I flew over the awnings.

SunDevilPilot
Yeah!!! I as well as you were flying, I had assumed you were doing a flyby!!!!

Regards!!
Jimmy
Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

Nice flight with my Watt-BOT a couple days ago. Winds were less than 5 kts. and the thermals were in the trashmover range. Launched right into a boomer and nearly specked out after a 30 second motor run. Touched down 1 hour and 15 minutes later on the one motor run. Gotta love it!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default aluminum firewall

Hello sundevilpilot, Thought you did the best job of all the elect conversions out there and i followed yours. Instead of making a wood firewall i wen't aluminum as wood will wear out and crack. Also i had a spare fusaloge that cracked last year and i fixed with fiberglass and want to tell everybody out there to fill the rear of the fuse with (hard foam)as this will reinforce it and not break into on a rough landing and does not add much weight to the overall .

Windyhill Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1957.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	108787  
Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 AM
SunDevilPilot

Originally Posted by windyhill View Post
Hello sundevilpilot, Thought you did the best job of all the elect conversions out there and i followed yours. Instead of making a wood firewall i wen't aluminum as wood will wear out and crack. Also i had a spare fusaloge that cracked last year and i fixed with fiberglass and want to tell everybody out there to fill the rear of the fuse with (hard foam)as this will reinforce it and not break into on a rough landing and does not add much weight to the overall .

Windyhill Ron
Thanks for the compliment windyhill. Yours looks like it is coming along nicely. After I built mine I determined you don't need to attempt to save weight in the conversion process. The new motor, ESC, and battery will weigh less than the slug of lead removed from the fuselage so you will ultimately be putting it back via lead. The aluminum firewall looks like a great idea. Should be plenty strong.

When I made my firewall I glassed the outer facing side of the firewall with fiberglass and epoxy so hopefully I will never have a failure.

Be ready to answer a lot of questions when you take the plane to the field. People seem to gravitate towards the Bird of Time and want to know how it was converted to electric.

SunDevilPilot
Old 09-08-2009, 04:37 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Thanks Gramps,

My first "airplane" was a Carl Goldberg Gently Lady with a Sig Power Pod and a Cox .049 motor. The power pod strapped on top of the wing via the rubber bands used to hold the wing to the fuselage. This is my first attempt at putting the motor onto the nose of a glider. Was easier than I expected once I got going on it. Took a bit of nerve to run the nose of the fuselage through the band saw. Only hurt for the 1/2 half.

SunDevilPilot
Brings back memories of my two "Viking" 10 foot wingspan sail planes I built in the 1980's. Got tired of trying to find a field big enough for a winch, so one of them was converted to electric power with an Astroflight geared 40 motor and 18 2400 RC 2400 Nicads. That electric model wound up with a number of two hour plus flights over the 10 years I flew it.

I actually shot about 30 minutes of movies with it, using a super 8 MOVIE CAMERA! Those movies have since been converted to DVD, still got them.

It got sold to a club member, who after a year or two sold it by Ebay to some person in the East Coast of the USA.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default kite launch

This will be the first time i have ever said anything online to anyone but you could launch a small sailplane from a kite. I also fly a 8ft delta coyone here at the ranch, the trick is the KITE! the delta is a tri kite with wings and is the most stable kite made and it takes a strong wind to get them up over 1500 to 2000 ft. A large rip strip (velcro) on the front of the nose and 15 ft of cord atached to the kite. I have a large reel to get all the line out and back. here is a telaphoto shot with an eagle around a 1000ft. I have been working on the idea for a while but not yet taken the plunge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1945.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	108853  

Last edited by Desertdog; 11-29-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
SunDevilPilot

This will be the first time i have ever said anything online to anyone but you could launch a small sailplane from a kite. I also fly a 8ft delta coyone here at the ranch, the trick is the KITE! the delta is a tri kite with wings and is the most stable kite made and it takes a strong wind to get them up over 1500 to 2000 ft. A large rip strip (velcro) on the front of the nose and 15 ft of cord atached to the kite. I have a large reel to get all the line out and back. here is a telaphoto shot with an eagle around a 1000ft. I have been working on the idea for a while but not yet taken the plunge.
You probably could but if the wind was enough for the kite to take the glider up you could probably just hook the glider to the string as if it were the kite and leave the kite out of the picture. With enough up elevator the sailplane would act similar to a kite.

SunDevilPilot
Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

Smoked the HURC 3536-10 motor in the Watt-BOT last week on climbout. Not sure why,but this is the second motor of the same flavor that has gone wobbly on me. The other was in a totally different style of aircraft (read:non-sailplane) so the BOT installation is not the prime suspect in the motor smoking caper. So beings I have to repower I have decide to go up a step to a HURC 3542-11 motor spinning a Aeronaut 11 x 7 folder and a 60 amp ESC. The motor dimensions are similar and the weight is 30 grams more ,but I have lead in the nose that can be removed so it should work fine. The additional power will be very welcome as you can never have enough.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:05 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Smoked the HURC 3536-10 motor in the Watt-BOT last week on climbout. Not sure why,but this is the second motor of the same flavor that has gone wobbly on me. The other was in a totally different style of aircraft (read:non-sailplane) so the BOT installation is not the prime suspect in the motor smoking caper. So beings I have to repower I have decide to go up a step to a HURC 3542-11 motor spinning a Aeronaut 11 x 7 folder and a 60 amp ESC. The motor dimensions are similar and the weight is 30 grams more ,but I have lead in the nose that can be removed so it should work fine. The additional power will be very welcome as you can never have enough.
Question:
How much does that motor weigh? And how many watts are you running through it?

Just my personal opinion, but any motor that is running way over 100 Watts per ounce of motor weight, is running that motor pretty hard. Regardless of how the motor is rated by its mfg.

My Hacker motors run around 80-100 watts per ounce of motor weight, and they only get slightly warm after a flight.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

SunDevilPilot

Just read this thread. Very nice job on the conversion.

Have you ever weighed the plane? I believe that it is targeted at 60 ounces as a pure glider. Wondering what yours came to, all up, with battery and all.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Great build thread SDP. A friend of mine sent me pics of his BOT and now I am thinking about getting one myself.

Appreciate you taking the time to post your conversion process.

Frank
Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

PS I rated the thread 5 stars.

Frank
Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 PM
SunDevilPilot

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Great build thread SDP. A friend of mine sent me pics of his BOT and now I am thinking about getting one myself.

Appreciate you taking the time to post your conversion process.

Frank
Thanks for the compliment Frank....

I fly my Bird of Time quite often and each and every flight brings a great amount of joy. There is just something about a large yet simple glider just floating around. Every time I fly it I get a large number of guys watching it and asking questions. Just pure and simple.

SunDevilPilot
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default lipo charger

Hey sundevil, What charger is a good one to buy. and wich one are you using.

Ron
Old 10-31-2009, 04:45 PM
SunDevilPilot

Hey sundevil, What charger is a good one to buy. and wich one are you using.

Ron
Everyone has their own theory as to what is a "Good Charger" so mine is only a recommendation of my experience. I have been using a Triton 2 charger for a little over two years now to charge all types of batteries. It has served me well over that time and seems very versatile.

SunDevilPilot
Old 10-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Everyone has their own theory as to what is a "Good Charger" so mine is only a recommendation of my experience. I have been using a Triton 2 charger for a little over two years now to charge all types of batteries. It has served me well over that time and seems very versatile.

SunDevilPilot
Excellent answer. (even though I don't use that charger, I like the way you said that).

Frank
Old 11-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default src 506

I decieded to get a src 506 from hobby lobby, It is a new one out with all the adapters and just 75 bucks.

Ron
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default li polly charger ic6

got this charger from hobby lobby and am imprtssed, does it all and comes with all the atachments including temp sensor. Sky rc makes it and when you get it in the mail it has a holligram on it and you scratch it off to get the code and go online to varify it is genuine not a pirated copy from china.

Windyhill
Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 AM
sprint

Default Bird of Time Electric Conversion

SunDevilPilot

This has got to be the best illustrated conversion, good job. Could you tell me what the measurement is from the canopy opening to the firewall is?

Anthony
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 AM
SunDevilPilot

Originally Posted by sprint View Post
SunDevilPilot

This has got to be the best illustrated conversion, good job. Could you tell me what the measurement is from the canopy opening to the firewall is?

Anthony
Thanks for the compliment!

I measured the length of the nose from the firewall for you. Measuring from the firewall to the beginning of the canopy (Where the fuselage drops down to allow the canopy to flush mount) is 2 inches exactly. I ended up at 2 inches because that was the point on the nose of the aircraft that allowed the motor to fit while removing the least amount of nose.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Quick Reply: Bird of Time Electric Conversion

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12049 seconds with 13 queries