Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Bird of Time Electric Conversion

Old 01-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default foam filled watt bot

Here is a shot of the fuse filled with foam (hard foam) soft foam is to soft and gives no support. Notice where i mounted the off-on switch for the controller with a small wire through the canopy so i can push off pull on without removing the canopy. A comment on the length of the cutoff nose if you followed sundevels directions you would have the canopy to the nose as 2 1/2 inches or the 38 mm spinner will not fit.

Windyhill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2065.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	118352   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2061.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	118353  
Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 AM
SunDevilPilot

Looks great Windyhill.....

Just thought I would add some photos taken at the field while I was flying my Bird of Time. Also pictured is a hawk that I was flying around with trying to catch a thermal. At one point he swooped down towards the tail of my Bird of Time but upon landing I found no holes in the elevator. I guess it was a warning.

Enjoy,

Phil

Name:	Bird of Time 1.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	118743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Time 2.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	118744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Time 3.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	118745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Time 4.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	118746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Time 5.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	118747  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Time 6.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	118748  
Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default credit where credit is due

Anybody on the web that has built sailplanes should give sundevil a 6 star rateing simply because he got everything right in choosing all of the components in modifying the bot to the watt bot. Younger enthusests should note of all of the conversons in the watt flyer website are a nightmare and a lot of them look horrible, "to small of a motor" to big of a motor, gear driven motors sticking out way to far and so on. Im sure sundevel and myself when growing up did not do everything right and skimped. I can say that was the case for me but as we get older we gain a sense of how and what it takes to do it right the first time.

The bot was made for this conversion and anyone considering something different is ill advised. GREAT JOB SUNDEVIL

Windyhill, age 72
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default 7 Stars!!!!!

Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
SDP!!

Nice video!! I wish I could fly that well!! That looks like a great flying field, no huge trees, & the cacti look to be the tallest things around. (Except for that windsock)

If you get a plane in a tree here, it could be as high as 150+ ft.

BTW! Very nice craftsmanship on the electric conversion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Jimmy
Originally Posted by windyhill View Post
Anybody on the web that has built sailplanes should give sundevil a 6 star rateing simply because he got everything right in choosing all of the components in modifying the bot to the watt bot. Younger enthusests should note of all of the conversons in the watt flyer website are a nightmare and a lot of them look horrible, "to small of a motor" to big of a motor, gear driven motors sticking out way to far and so on. Im sure sundevel and myself when growing up did not do everything right and skimped. I can say that was the case for me but as we get older we gain a sense of how and what it takes to do it right the first time.

The bot was made for this conversion and anyone considering something different is ill advised. GREAT JOB SUNDEVIL

Windyhill, age 72
Mr. Windyhill!!

I concur!!
A WattBot is in my future, just because of the great job by SDP!!!!!!!!!!!(7 Stars) After finishing A Guppy MKll with Poly & Aileron wings, and 25% larger Cosmo that I built several of as a kid back in the day. All of which were flyaways! This one will be R/C & BL. instead of TLG.

Regards!!
Jimmy age 72.95
Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 AM
SunDevilPilot

Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
Mr. Windyhill!!

I concur!!
A WattBot is in my future, just because of the great job by SDP!!!!!!!!!!!(7 Stars) After finishing A Guppy MKll with Poly & Aileron wings, and 25% larger Cosmo that I built several of as a kid back in the day. All of which were flyaways! This one will be R/C & BL. instead of TLG.

Regards!!
Jimmy age 72.95
Thanks a lot guys.... Your comments are great to hear. I pride myself on doing / building the "Right Way" and only doing something once. I think about all the different ways something can be done, research my project, and execute it using my best abilities. Hopefully some of what I learn on forums like these find their ways into my threads for all the learn. With each project I complete I learn a new skill largely in part to these forums.

Here is a link to my first electric plane. This one saw a few modifications as I learned about electric motors.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38812

Again, Thanks.

Phil

Last edited by SunDevilPilot; 01-24-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Steve Brian

Sun Devil you did a great Job on the Bird of Time electric conversion. I spent a lot of time searching other forums and was a little discouraged like your self at the lack of documentation available. But low and behold I found your forum which you had done all the heavy lifting and to top it off you took photo’s. Well done!

I have just completed my BOT and it looks great! The conversion took longer that I though but it was well worth the wait. As it turns out Faith and her good sister Hope were on my side because I had all the components need to complete the conversion, AXI 2820-10, 40 Amp controller, batteries and the only thing I needed to buy was the folding prop. This truly must have been fate, when I start a new project I never ever have the right stuff to start…

Well I live in New Hampshire so getting a chance to test Big Bird in February may be a stretch, but when the weather permits I’ll be out there ASAP. I’ll let you know how I goes.

Take care, and Thanks again.

Steve
Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
SunDevilPilot

Originally Posted by Steve Brian View Post
Sun Devil you did a great Job on the Bird of Time electric conversion. I spent a lot of time searching other forums and was a little discouraged like your self at the lack of documentation available. But low and behold I found your forum which you had done all the heavy lifting and to top it off you took photo’s. Well done!

I have just completed my BOT and it looks great! The conversion took longer that I though but it was well worth the wait. As it turns out Faith and her good sister Hope were on my side because I had all the components need to complete the conversion, AXI 2820-10, 40 Amp controller, batteries and the only thing I needed to buy was the folding prop. This truly must have been fate, when I start a new project I never ever have the right stuff to start…

Well I live in New Hampshire so getting a chance to test Big Bird in February may be a stretch, but when the weather permits I’ll be out there ASAP. I’ll let you know how I goes.

Take care, and Thanks again.

Steve
Thanks for the compliment Steve. Enjoy your Bird of Time! Be ready for a lot of questions at the field. The simple glider is quite majestic in flight and will captivate even those not yet interested in the simplicity of glider flight.

SunDevilPilot
Old 02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Steve Brian

Well ok, I tested the Big Bird today. This flight is a testament to why converting the BOT to an Electric Sailplanes is worth the investment. At the field I perform my preflight check, the plane was looking good and the winds are light at 3 to 5 MPH from the northwest making near perfect conditions for hand launching the Bird of Time at the field.

Now those of us who live in New England understand that our weather can change at a moments notice and that’s just what happened. Upon launching the BOT under ¼ power the Bird had a nice gentle climb and very nice handling for a glider, I was surprised. When suddenly the wind jump to 10+ MPH. Wow! The Big Bird can handle it... More power was applied and the BOT climbed like a rocket to 200ft at ½ throttle and life was good. Well that didn’t last long and the wind gusted to 15+ on the ground, crap! Life is not good… More power Mr. Scott! I kept the nose into the wind hoping the gust would die down, but it just kept coming, at a constant 15 to 20 MPH. I bank the plane to keep it close to the field, the wind grabbed the Big Bird and carried it down wind two full length of the field before that big beautiful tail swung the bird around back into the wind. Whew!

Wow! At full power the plane is make headway back to the field but the ride is very bumpy and the wind is getting scary. I decide to shoot the landing before I lose the plane or the wind gets worse. To top the day off my eyes are watering because I forgot to put my sunglasses on and the BOT is now in line with the sun and my eyes are screaming!

20 feet above ground I’m looking at the BOT through two pools of water and the plane appears to be on a roller coast of death. More power! More Power! Then at 3 feet the plane started to settle in so I reduced the power to 1/2 throttle and BOT was bobbing just a little so I tried to time my flair out with the bobbing to reduce the damage to plane and bingo! The Bird of time landed flat and skidded about 10 feet across the ice. Do you smell that?

After the surprisingly smooth landing, the wind is starting drag the plan backwards so I ran and grabbed the bird before anything else can happen. To my surprise the BOT only received a small tear in the wing and a scratch in the fuse from the ice.

I fill very lucky today and with that kind of luck I’m going to go play the lottery. LOL

The moral of the story is, don’t fly your Bird of Time in the wind! But if you get caught in a sudden wind storm make sure your Big Bird is an electric with balls!

PS It doesn’t hurt to bring extra undies with ya.

Take care,

Steve

Last edited by Steve Brian; 02-12-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 PM
riverrat

Default AXI

WoW!!

2820/10 Good power!

Steve!
Glad it worked out for you!
Could it have been SKILL, with just a little luck?

Later
Jimmy
Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Steve Brian

LOL I think more luck than skill. This was my first time flying a glider... Up to this time I've been a turn and burn kinda guy. I usually rip the wings off going too fast.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default first e bot flight (awsome)

Had my wattbott built from winter time and never could fly it because of the weather. We live on a ranch in unity oregon at 4000 ft and the weather has been very cold and windy this year. Two days ago we had a 80 degree day and no wind so went out on the hillside above the hay field and launcher her, Everything went great trimed it up a little and flew around the field and decieded to land in the tall grass but came in just a little short so gave it some throttle and went around again and landed safely.Thought that was so great i would do it again and gave it full throttle on the launch and it went up like a rocket and kept climing so i just let it go up, im not a good judge of how far she went up but it almost went over the top and i had to give it full down and nosed over to level flight (man it was up there) There wern't many thermos and i trimed it for level flight and just sailed around seeing what it could do. After in came down close to the ground i hit the throttle again and went way out over the hay field and turned back and came in over the fence and landed. Wow what a feeling it was, everything worked like it was supost to and it EXCEDED my expectations and then some. The thing i like about it is a second chance to be able to throttle up and get out of trouble and launch from my back yard or hillside over the field without a high start.

Ron
Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 PM
riverrat

Default BOT

Ron!

Kudos!!!!
Sounds like a great day!!

Regards!
Jimmy
Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Steve Brian

Yep! It's a nice flying machine. I took the BOT to an electric fly-in this past weekend and got alot of questions like, where do I get one of those? And "I did'nt know you can fly a glider in the wind..." It was very windy, but the Big bird seem to manage just fine. I would park it into the wind and let it hang there for a while... it looked like a kite without the string.

Well take care and congrates on the launch of your Electron burning BOT.

Steve
Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default being older has it's rewards

Im 72 and look and act 39 and it seems kids have soooo much trouble geting some things right. When i saw sundevils build it was a no brainer. This big bird is a watt natural and only has one flaw but the fuse fix with foam should take care of the problem. I like the way it flies and just want to be able to enjoy myself when i have the time and not be in a contest with other people to see who is the best. We have some AWSOME thermos here in this valley as we are in a big bowl and the thermos hold steady and do not move (just go up) I have photos of 50 to 60 crows thermoing 15000 to 2000 ft in the air and hawks and eagles coming in from maby 5 thousand ft to join in and then they get to the top of the thermo and break away and glide down to the valley hay fields and chatter to thier buddies what fun that was.
Ron
Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Anyone have suggestions on how to land this thing? I love my BOT, but I've gotten into trouble a couple of times because I can't seem to slow it down enough trying to land. Last time did some damage to the fuse when I hit my pilots station carrying way more speed than I though. sheesh :-( Is it just a matter of giving myself enough long low approach? At least with a motor, I get a couple of chances!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post
Anyone have suggestions on how to land this thing? I love my BOT, but I've gotten into trouble a couple of times because I can't seem to slow it down enough trying to land. Last time did some damage to the fuse when I hit my pilots station carrying way more speed than I though. sheesh :-( Is it just a matter of giving myself enough long low approach? At least with a motor, I get a couple of chances!
Spoilers, they're easy to cut in.

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	130915  
Old 06-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

I just repowered my Watt_BOT too. Went to a Rimfire35-48-1300KV Outrunner with an 11 x 7 Aeronaut and a Scorpion 70 amp ESC/UBEC. She climbs out much better, see video. Sorry about the poor quality,but you can get the idea.

[media]http://vimeo.com/12050277[/media]
Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

I had several Viking 10 foot Span Sailplanes in the mid 1980's. Made the mistake of hand launching them with no regard for landing. Danged thing went far further than I thought, wound up landing in about 4 inches of water at the far end of the field.

As others have indicated, install spoilers. It doesn't take much, perhaps 10 inches wide, with the spoiler blade about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches or so.

If you install them, try them out first at sufficient altitude. These sailplanes tend to drop like a rock when spoilers are activated.

If possible, use a radio channel that allows proportional control, or if not available, three position switch or similar.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
As others have indicated, install spoilers. It doesn't take much, perhaps 10 inches wide, with the spoiler blade about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches or so.

If you install them, try them out first at sufficient altitude. These sailplanes tend to drop like a rock when spoilers are activated.

If possible, use a radio channel that allows proportional control, or if not available, three position switch or similar.
Just as a referance,my BOT's spoilers are 9" l x 1" w and they are way plenty to turn her into a rock. Add in up elevator as needed with thumb when spoilers are deployed for landing approaches. Full spoilers are good for getting out of trash mover thermals but use caution as she will build a good amount of speed nose down and some have experianced wing flutter.

I'll second the spoilers on a proprotional control. I like flaps or spoilers on the throttle stick with the throttle on the gear switch in off/on mode. And I'll also second trying them at altitude...don't make your test on a landing approach. Practice playing the spoilers and elevators and soon you'll be landing at your feet everytime..or almost everytime.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 AM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post

If you install them, try them out first a
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Just as a referance,my BOT's spoilers are 9" l x 1" w and they are way plenty to turn her into a rock.

I'll second the spoilers on a proprotional control.

I hate the idea of tearing into an ARF wing, so many unknowns - but this does seem to be THE answer. Absolutely proportional, thats what I have on my Spirit elite and really like it. Suggested type of spoiler?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

I hate the idea of tearing into an ARF wing, so many unknowns - but this does seem to be THE answer. Absolutely proportional, thats what I have on my Spirit elite and really like it. Suggested type of spoiler?
I made mine from standard trailing edge stock. Installation procedure used was to install the spoilers on the "Root panel" next to the fuse on my polyhedral?? wings. Cut the wing covering on the top, about 1/4 inch from the wing spar with a sharp exacto knife. Then slide down about 1/2 inch from a rib about 6 inches or so from the fuse, and cross over away from the fuse toward a rib about 18 inches or so from the fuse, and go back to the spar.

Before doing anything else, make up several pieces of 1/4 inch balsa sheet, and "Beef up" the two wing ribs on the inside. Then build up a piece of 1/4 inch balsa for the "Trailing edge" of the trailing edge stock, and fit it in to the wing, between the two ribs. This "Crossover" balsa piece should be fitted under the wing covering, and spaced to allow the trailing edge stock to fit closely. Then iron the wing covering to the two 1/4 inch doublers, and the cross over balsa piece. Also, iron down the 1/4 inch covering over the spar.

Then, trim the ribs between the outside ribs with an exacto knife to allow the spoiler to fit flush into the wing.

(If you don't install the 1/4 inch beefing up pieces for the two ribs, and the crossover piece, your wing covering will wind up bending the ribs, and getting a sag you will never get rid of.)

Next, install the two spoilers to the wing, I used plain old scotch tape, but wing tape is also available for this use. Then set up a pair of micro servos with 1/16 music wire type inside plastic tubing for push rods to open and close the two spoilers.

Much fancier ways are also available to do this, but this one is simple, and if you don't like it, you can permanently glue the spoiler to the wing, then cover it with wing covering, and be back to where you were before you started.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Aaro

Default BOT conversion, Finnish version...

Hi all

After reading several threads about BOT and e-conversion, I was not able to resist it...

So, thank You for hints, examples and other information, below is a short description of my version + a few pictures.

The plane is great and relaxing as You all propably know!

Aaro
----------------------------
Modifications:
Canopy attached with 4 mm neodymium magnets + pin
Wing tips attached (i hope..) with 10 mm neodymium magnets
Motor + BEC + battery + prop as detailed below
Weight 2200 g (= 77 lb), includes 7 ounces lead in nose (tail is a bit heavy)
Cooling air from firewall via cabin window holes

Tail boom (just behind the saddle) filled with foam
Spoilers

Equipment:
Motor: Turnigy TR35-48/900
ESC: Turnigy Plush 40A
Battery: 2350 mAh 11,1V LiPo
Prop: Graupner CAM 12x6
Simprop spoilers
JR X3810 -radio, Hitec HS-85MG-servos

Name:	wf_almost_ready_to_go.JPG
Views:	979
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	131522   Click image for larger version

Name:	wf_brakes1 (1).JPG
Views:	1074
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	131523   Click image for larger version

Name:	wf_brakes_extended.JPG
Views:	1112
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	131524   Click image for larger version

Name:	wf_cabin.JPG
Views:	1076
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	131525   Click image for larger version

Name:	wf_nose2.JPG
Views:	1109
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	131526  

Last edited by Aaro; 02-26-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM
SunDevilPilot

Aaro, Looks like a great conversion. I like the modifications you made, all seem well thought out and will add to the connivence factor.

SunDevilPilot
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Aaro

Yes, in this case almost all the thinking was made by others (I read lots of BOT threads...) so it was possible to gain success

Aaro

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot View Post
Aaro, Looks like a great conversion. I like the modifications you made, all seem well thought out and will add to the connivence factor.

SunDevilPilot
Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Desertdog
windyhill

Default Crash test dummy on my birthday 72

Have been test flying my e bott and on the third flight i was coming in for a landing on my downwind leg and noticed the prop windmilling really fast and all of a sudden it went hard left and straight DOWN into the tall hay field, I was really rattled and walked down across the barbed wire fence and thought it would be OK but to my dismay it was nose down in a small bare spot in a 140 acre thick hay field with no grass and dirt and and a rock, smashed to smitherines.The wing was tore off the fuse and in two halves, and the elevator was bent down, the prop was trying to flutter as i failed to shut off the tx while walking to it. After suffering heart failure picked up the pieces and went back to the house, The wing was totally gone and the prop was driven in and jamed the motor and the fuse had just cracked the jell coating thanks to the hard foam i wrote about earlier in this article. One of the things i failed to do was set the brake on the motor so the prop would not windmill. Fixed everything and ordered a new wing and will be up flying next week. (there is no fool like an old fool)

Windyhill

Last edited by Desertdog; 07-14-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Bird of Time Electric Conversion

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12253 seconds with 25 queries