Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Lancaster Bomber from HobbyKing

Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 AM
earthsciteach

I like the technique that I've seen some of the Russian builders use. If you have access to CNC, cut out fuselage slices, then laminate. It seems like a very easy method. But, it all hinges on having access to a CNC cutter of some sort.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
I like the technique that I've seen some of the Russian builders use. If you have access to CNC, cut out fuselage slices, then laminate. It seems like a very easy method. But, it all hinges on having access to a CNC cutter of some sort.
I'm going to start a new thread in the Scratch Built listing ... to avoid thread drift here ... bit unfair on those after HK Lanc info !

Nigel
Old 07-22-2015, 12:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

So to resurrect old listing .............

I just clicked Pay .... on the HK Lancaster V2 .... free shipping from Euro W/H ... $126 all in.

So hopefully within next few days will be knock on door of Courier with a BIG box ...

I've printed of the RCG pages with mods for the V2 ... so hopefully soon shall have a BoB video to post up ......................

I still have the Chris Golds Plans for the biggie ... so this may just re-kindle my interest to get on the scratch again. The previous scratch failed at that wing joint ... before I even got 1/2way through build.

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/constructi...-build-review/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716508

Nigel
Old 07-22-2015, 02:22 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Congrats Nigel,

From what I'm hearing, HK got the bugs out of the Lanc that they had experienced with the V1.

Can't beat the price. A lot of plane for the money.

Keep us posted!

Hawk
Old 07-22-2015, 02:54 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Just waiting Post man ...

If the paint is like most Chinese .. and flakes ... plus it looks glossy on the vids ... I will take opportunity once it starts to look tatty of converting to my Mothers Lanc ... which she worked on during war.

Nigel
Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Lanc arrived and wife put in my room ...

Nicely packed and no damage.

Assembly is pretty straightforward and book supplied is nice but there are as usual a few omissions.

Couple of foam pieces that turn out to be bases for dorsal and rear gun turrets ... no mention !

The wings slot into the fuselage and then retained by vertical screw into plastic tubes in fuselage. I had to risk breaking fuselage pressing in real hard to get screws to line up.

Prop adaptors are grubscrew type and threaded section just a touch short for prop nut. One adaptor now is suspect as starting to tighten prop nut - thread gave out. It holds but will need a touch of Blue Threadlock to be sure.

Rear turret plastic is poorly marked for cutting and it really is guesswork to fit ...

BUT for the price .. the thought that has gone into it ... well worth the money I reckon.

I particularly like that the factory has sorted wiring and access so that my AETR Rx was a simple fit to the leads matching numbered tags. The power to ESC's is sorted nicely ...

There are what appear to be 8 bombs in the box ... must be a hang-over from the original version that had servo operated bomb bay doors. This latest version has no retract doors or servo operated bay doors. I am looking at whether I can fit sprung doors over the retracts.

The retracts work very nicely as well ... so I am really looking fwd to the maiden.

Just trying to find out info on control movements ...

Photo's and vids to follow !!

I have downloaded various RAF theme music for playing when at shows and flying her ... should be good for a show or two !!

Nigel
Old 07-30-2015, 03:07 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Nigel,

We're all on pins and needles here awaiting your maiden !

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Nigel,
The maiden of the lank deserves dusting off your good camera!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Nigel,
The maiden of the lank deserves dusting off your good camera!

All depends who is there and can film for me ....

Looks like a windy day - but we are planning to be at the ex-soviet fighter base again.

Nigel
Old 08-01-2015, 08:54 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Today I maidened my Lanc, I had serious winds that were not only moderately strong but also gusting ... with changes of direction.

Stock airframe .. no reflex ... no washout .... no mods ... except for the CoG to be at 55mm from LE of wing. This meant relocating battery to just in front of front wing CF spar.

Flight ? Totally forgiving, no stalls as others report, in fact uneventful smooth flight even though wind was more than would be considered fair for the model.

Yank and bank caused no problems as long as throttle was increased ..
Landing - was nothing unusual ... throttle to control descent ...
She came in nice and flattened out into the grass as planned.

To be honest ......... I was worried about her based on posts in various threads ... but in flight - she prove to be a 'doll' ... with none of what I have read .......... maybe I am lucky ?

The music you hear in the attached video is the compilation soundtrack to play at shows etc. when she flys ..........

I also apologise for the sombre part of family connection etc. But I hope you can suffer the introduction part before the flight, it means so much to me that my Parents did so much for my future ...

Nigel
Old 08-01-2015, 11:04 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Congrats on the maiden, especially in the wind conditions. Great vid !

Hawk
Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

For anyone interested .... the thumbnail photo of the video shows the BoB Lancaster releasing 1 million Remembrance Poppies over the Mall leading up to Buckingham Palace at the 50yr remembrance.

My Mother was a Guest at Legion Dinner in London that day and at Royal Albert Hall for the Service of Remembrance. She manned the RBL Stall as well that day ...

There is an interesting side bit ... My Mother wrote to Queen Mother wishing her Happy Birthday on her 100th. For some reason the Legion branch my Mother was member and was Secretary for objected. To this day I have no idea why. The photo here is the Letter rec'd by my Mother and kept by her. The Legion when they found out a reply had been rec'd demanded the Letter be handed to them. My Mother politely refused reminding them that they had wished a Letter not be sent.

Nigel
Old 08-03-2015, 03:55 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

At Oshkosh Air Adventure this year, amongst the 10,000 airplanes and 500,000 spectators, there was a warbird show. They had a Lancaster, Mosquito and Spitfire flying together. They Zero's flying together and of course, P-51's, P-38 and F4U's.

Here's the British lineup: http://icewings.net/lancaster-mosqui...-oshkosh-2015/
Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
At Oshkosh Air Adventure this year, amongst the 10,000 airplanes and 500,000 spectators, there was a warbird show. They had a Lancaster, Mosquito and Spitfire flying together. They Zero's flying together and of course, P-51's, P-38 and F4U's.

Here's the British lineup: http://icewings.net/lancaster-mosqui...-oshkosh-2015/
Magic ... tks for that .....

Nigel
Old 08-12-2015, 12:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

At moment I am trying to figure out how to open / lose bomb doors but still able to open by hand to access battery ...

Model comes with 8 foamy bombs ... probably a left over from its V1 days. V2 doors are not servo operated and held closed by magnets so you can open to access battery / wing retention etc.

So how to open / close by radio, keeping it light simple and also able to open by hand without causing servo problems.

Thinking at moment about small 5gr servo each side with magnet on arm ... contacts metal plate on door. To open servo is activated by switch .. to close switch again. Hand can open because door will 'unstick' from magnet ??

Any suggestions appreciated ...

nigel
Old 08-12-2015, 02:01 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

One thought is to use a single servo with two short rods and clevices configured in an x pattern. That's how the gear sequencer doors open on my Freewing Mossy. Along the length of the rather long gear doors are two hinges for each door half. Might be a youtube on it.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The main problem is to allow the doors to be opened by hand without need of radio. The flight battery sits in the bomb bay.

Its why the V1 has had the servos removed from this ... the problem of access without radio.

Nigel
Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Liked your bit about the Queen Mother above, Nigel. She was one of my idols when I was a kid. A Lady in every respect. You know what I mean.

Gord.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:42 PM
HaraldJoergens

Default Lancaster virtual tour

You might be interested in a virtual tour of Lancaster "Just Jane":

It has been created for the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre in East Kirkby. There are three panoramas from the outside, eight of the inside, from the bomb aimer to the rear gunner, and a high resolution panorama of the Memorial Chapel.

Almost all details are labelled, many explained, just move the mouse cursor over an item of interest.

Click here open the panorama, and switch to full screen mode!

If you are interested in future aircraft panoramas, please sign up to my mailing list!

A bit more about the panorama can be found here.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:48 PM
maxflyer

Great Panorama views. Nicely done. I found myself eyeing this one at HK. After flying my Eflight Mossy and finding I get a kick out of hearing those twin props, I thought this one would be great fun too. Unfortunately, the small size is a bit of a turnoff, and HK didn't do it any favors in their video by flying it like a fighter.

I like to fly scales planes in a scale manner. That's always a challenge as you can never easily get most planes down to scale speeds, especially at 7000' where I fly. I would like to see or hear feedback from someone who has attempted to simulate scale speeds with this one, always a challenge for this size. Does she tip stall easily?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If you want to read all the modifications and lengths some have gone to with this model ... head on over to RCG ... but beware - its a very long thread.

Price of the HK Lanc is less than 1/2 price at moment and judging by posts over there ... people are grabbing them quick as back-up second models.

I fly mine generally at about 60% throttle with large part at 50% ... she flies nice but of course without rudders functioning - you have to line her up well for landing and power her in ... even with rudders ... you'd still need power ... she does glide though ... but will drop a wing if provoked at slow speed.

Last weekend I did a show stopper of a flight ... all the club stopped and watched ... she was doing low passes wheels up / down etc. ... sweeping turns ... I was having a ball ... then came landing ... so bring her round slowly bringing throttle back so she was flying but in a glide slope to the ground ... just before she touched - a nudge of throttle to reduce the slope and a beautiful 50ft roll out with props still turning !
It was one of those landings that you know will never happen again !!
It really was just like Dam Busters movie ! Guys applauded ... Boy was I grinning !!

Sadly the video camera failed to capture it ... really annoyed about that.

Flies fast ? Not so bad .. but then again - it doesn't really bother me ... I just enjoy the look in the air ...

Nigel
Old 11-24-2015, 08:18 PM
maxflyer

Sounds enticing. Sounds like "the video that got away." Now...if I could just get past the idea of no rudders! Anyone have a B-25 who can show us how they implement rudder control on a bird like this (hopefully, without dual servos - wouldn't want the extra weight on this little beast)?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Many people just fit a small servo in rear fuz and then rods out to the rudders. Because many people use a high C rated pack - they need a few grams at back - which servo does.

The Lanc flies fine on a 25C 2200 .... and with that needs no tail weight when battery is fitted fwd of spar.

But so far I don't miss rudders at all.

Nigel
Old 11-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Just picked up one of these bombers from Hobbyking for $90.00 and free shipping!

Hobbyking is running a Cyber-sale until Monday

Ordered it Saturday, arrived Tuesday, the west coast warehouse is about 100 miles south of me.

Actually I bought it for a friend whose computer is down.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I'm also newly onboard with the V2 Lanc. USD $90 shipped? A no brainer ! Looking forward to receiving so I can get started on some of the minor mods as Nigel as mentioned.

Hawk

Quick Reply: Lancaster Bomber from HobbyKing

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11707 seconds with 10 queries