Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Tower Hobbies LiPos

Old 04-08-2008, 01:55 AM
adhoc
(inactive)

Default Tower Hobbies LiPos

I'm ready to buy some more LiPos, and was putting together an order at Tower, when I noticed a new promotion for their own brand of LiPos... http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towp2110m.html

Seems like maybe they are just cheaper, lower C ratings, made in China, but backed by Tower. I'm not a demanding flyer, so I'm considering getting one or two of these.

Says it's new, so maybe no one has direct experience with these, yet. But does anyone have any thoughts, impressions, gut feelings, or warnings about these?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by adhoc; 04-08-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:06 PM
ororaf

Default Tower Hobbies LiPos

I too saw the tower add. I am also in the market for lipo's. I am also looking for a balancer.

I found this seller http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101

I also found this seller http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=6424

Hobby City seems to be selling directly from China or Korea as I read that someone said that it took 3 weeks to get the LIPO's.

Common sense rc seems to have reasonable prices. http://www.commonsenserc.com/index.php?cPath=37_31

I will buy one from one of them. I might even buy one from united hobbies to try their cheap zippy batteries.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ororaf View Post
I also found this seller http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=6424

I will buy one from one of them. I might even buy one from united hobbies to try their cheap zippy batteries.
If you buy from hobby city (UH) and they are out of stock you can expect to wait 1-2 months for your shipment. They seem to be frequently OOS on loong max and zippy in the common sizes. If the stock count is even low don't trust that it is in stock.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:01 AM
adhoc
(inactive)

I got one of the Tower Hobbies lipos, in stock, two days. I've only flown it once, so too early to say much. I'll fly it more if the weather ever cooperates...
Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

They almost resemble the Great Plains Electrifly Lipos........
Old 04-19-2008, 05:15 AM
adhoc
(inactive)

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
They almost resemble the Great Plains Electrifly Lipos........
Funny you say that. I got two LiPos in my shipment from Tower, one from Electrifly and one from Tower. The packaging looks identical (except for the different titles and colors); the packs look identical (again, except for different printing and colors). The instructions sheets look a little different (layout, font, etc.), but the information seems the same (I didn't compare them in detail).

I could easily believe they are made by the same people. I even wonder if they test the individual cells, and ones that don't spec out at 15C or 20C but do 12C okay get set aside for these Tower Hobbies packs. Either that, or they do separate runs with different materials or designs? But that doesn't seem likely, a lot of trouble for little profit... My "substandard" theory above makes sense; package cells that would be tossed anyway, getting less for them is better than nothing...
Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Stormovic

Good lipos and a warranty is included.