Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

motor comes on as soon as battery connected

Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 AM
RobWoodall

Default motor comes on as soon as battery connected

<Disregard, please. Turns out I'm an idiot. I was so concerned with connecting my red to red and my black to black, that I installed the esc backward. It's my little one"s bedtime, so I won't get back to it until tomorrow afternoon, but I'll post a follow-up at that time. Stupidity, electricity and motors don't mix...><disregard, please.="" it="" turns="" out="" i'm="" an="" idiot.="" i="" was="" so="" concerned="" with="" connecting="" my="" red="" to="" and="" black="" that="" wired="" the="" esc="" in="" backward.="" it's="" little="" one's="" bed="" time,="" won't="" be="" back="" until="" tomorrow="" afternoon,="" but="" i'll="" post="" a="" follow-up="" at="" time.="" stupidity,="" motors="" electricity="" really="" don't="" mix...=""></disregard,>

Short version:

I've been training myself on a GWS Slow Stick, and managed to burn out the esc. I ordered a replacement, which came in today. Hooked it up, plugged in the battery, and the motor immediately started at full power (scared the crap out of me)!

Long version:

If more details will help, here goes. I have the brushed GWS motor, and recommended GWS esc. The replacement ecs has the same specs (18 amp) but game with Dean's connectors, while the original came with bullets. I cut the new connectors off and soldered the new ones on. Made sure to solder red to red and black to black.

My radio is a Spektrum Dx6i, and my receiver is the 6 channel "orange" from Hobby King. I tried another identical receiver later, and got the same thing.

The only things I've tried to fix this is to reverse the throttle channel on the Dx6i, and I also reversed the connector from the esc to the receiver. I don't really know why I tried that last, but I was desperate for ideas. Still, full power as soon as the battery is connected.

Elevator and rudder (on the aileron channel) work exactly as expected.

I'm a complete noob in an extremely rural area, with no access to a club, hobby shop or mentor, but I've really been enjoying learning, and would really like to fly again soon. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by RobWoodall; 05-09-2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 AM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Sounds like a bad ESC. Most won't arm unless the throttle is moved to the lowest setting. Did you accidently connect the battery to the motor leads while you were swapping the connectors?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 AM
RobWoodall

Yep. I connected the esc backwards. Dang! Stupidity, motors and electricity don't mix!

It was my little one's bedtime when I realized what I'd done, so I won't be able to correct and test it until tomorrow evening, but I'll post a follow-up at that time.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RobWoodall View Post
Yep. I connected the esc backwards. Dang!
Dang is right. You burned out you new ESC. Switched polarity only takes a millisecond. Common mistake unfortunately.

Replacement - only because you want to get going again soon:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Brushed/Detail

GWS ESC are pretty poor. You can ignore the NiXX vs lipo compatible issue. Neither of them have an LVC work a darn and IMO neither are actually lipo compatible. DO NOT fly to LVC....ever with GWS ESC or you risk ruining your lipo.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 AM
RobWoodall

Thanks, Flydiver, but I actually didn't reverse the polarity, I reversed the whole thing. Battery side attached to motor, motor side attached to battery. I reversed the connections after work today and it works just fine!