Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Thumbs up Thunder Tiger Japanese ZERO

Hi Guys!

Since my goals are to setup my new Thunder Tiger as a typical Park Flyer and most especially fly it scale like even though it came with a very capable Brushless Outrunner motor, I decided to open the thread here as it will be a Park Flyer and it will fly in a Park and of course my RC Club when the grass field be recently cut!!!

Nothing to be disappointed here of my unpacking of my brand new Thunder Tiger Japanese ZERO! A typical packing job by Thunder Tiger and Tower as the model came in a larger box and the inner box from Thunder Tiger was SEALED with their special round seal marker adhesive decal.

The model was expertly packaged and nothing, I mean NOTHING was damaged, nicked, dented nor molested in any way!

The Paint job and density of the FOAM was EXCELLENT for a EPS foam model and super light. I did not see any voids, low spots nor bubbles of any kind.

Again the paint job is 1st Rate!!!

I have several pictures and the last few are with the GWS Japanese ZERO product.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
captdave221

Friends: (0)

I had one of these in the air for about 10 seconds before the Kamakazi pilot crashed it into the side of my brick house. Total loss except for the motor. Don't think I'll buy another one.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
Monterey10

Club: RCBees
Send a message via Yahoo to Monterey10
Default Zero

I have one in the box, so I'm watching your thread. From what I've read, they have a particularly vicious torque roll on hand launch.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)

Originally Posted by Monterey10 View Post
I have one in the box, so I'm watching your thread. From what I've read, they have a particularly vicious torque roll on hand launch.
I will try and not to put too much Throttle on Take-Off to avoid the vicious torque roll. Additionally, I will be placing some additional Right Thrust and Down Thrust to off-set any high RPM P-Factor on take-off.

Carlos
Old 02-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Seattle

Friends: (1)

7 years ago...tales from the crypt, eh?

Weird thing is, I just obtained a ThunderTiger Zero from a guy on Ebay. Just like the lighter green one in Carlos' photos. Unbuilt. Like a time capsule.

Is anyone old enough to remember these? I love the size, but will it fly?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
F22trainer

Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
7 years ago...tales from the crypt, eh?

Weird thing is, I just obtained a ThunderTiger Zero from a guy on Ebay. Just like the lighter green one in Carlos' photos. Unbuilt. Like a time capsule.

Is anyone old enough to remember these? I love the size, but will it fly?
I remember the brand - even though my RC days had gone on hiatus, I built 9 of the 25 Trainer models from them for some exhibits that featured a working/flying RC model in a large glass box.
Glad to see you picked that one up - I'll bet a gyro might help with the 'left turning tendencies'.
Good luck with it and share the fun with us.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #7
Seattle

Wow. You built a lot of these.

This old Thundertiger Zero really seems to be a relic. And not one that is fondly remembered.

Maybe the size and shape are the best things about it. Why not take those and leave the rest behind? Here's what I'm getting at.

The parts are simple, with no undercuts, so they would work as plugs for rigid moldmaking. I used to do a lot of fiberglass work. I could use some plaster to make up a set of molds. Then I can lay up thin parts from light fiberglass cloth and resin, using wax and PVA as a release agent. If the fiberglass version was very light behind the wing, that could make a big difference in all up weight. Little nose weight needed. But a gyro might be best all the same.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
Seattle

Crickets...
Old 03-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #9
F22trainer

No experience with molding fiberglass...
Sounds like work.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Seattle

It is a bit of work alright. But if it leads to a good flying small zero, it might be worth it. And spare parts would be no problem- just make another one from the molds.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers