Evolution and how future Forums could be ? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Evolution and how future Forums could be ?

Old 02-26-2018, 12:01 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Evolution and how future Forums could be ?

Today we have instant messaging with video conferencing and so on ... makes it better to see the other and certainly reduces misunderstandings.

I wonder how long it will be before forums will adopt an online video function - so when in a thread with others - you can see the person you may be replying to ?

I know its more than just a single face issue ... but given the stupid arguments that forums often have - and most are due to bad wording / ego / poor understanding of what other person writes or replies ... a face in the 'discussion' would likely remove vast majority of those 'incidents'.

Our club has a Group listing on SKYPE ... and there we have chats and sometimes we have some serious comments - but instead of as would happen on a forum where it would most likely upset someone - there it just gets sorted and no-ones upset.

It would be a game changer but with thousands of members not an easy one to sort ... maybe person can only see those who are on Friends List ... or an invitation system when reading a thread ?

Wonder if it will ever happen ?

Nigel
Old 02-26-2018, 03:02 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I'd say that eventually that will happen. Technology is an amazing thing and continues to develop and grow.

We have teleconferences in my work a couple times a week between National Parks all over the country and the collaborative efforts of everyone working through issues together in real time are things we only dreamed of a few years ago.

I can see it filtering down to the hobby forums as well. Hard parts would be doing it live when people are from all over the planet in different time zones. I like you guys, but I am not getting up at 2 am for a chat session on RC planes! lol
Old 02-26-2018, 04:04 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Too true !! Time zones are a definite factor.

As some know - I deal in huge amounts of chemicals / fuels and shipping .... military and civilian. Only today - we had Skype Video conference Philippines - Dubai - Mumbai - Latvia .... and the great thing is seeing faces - you can talk more broadly, more openly without problems.

When I was involved in Fuel Supply in Gulf War 1 ... it was a different ball game and the comms were of course not video-conferences ... I'd be in xxxxxx location (I'm still not allowed to name) and trying to get High Grade fuel through for US armoured gear ... then few days later working "dirty" fuel for Chieftains .....
If we'd had what we have today - a much easier task.

It will come I think ... as people strive for more activities in their leisure time ...

Nigel
Old 02-26-2018, 04:15 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Video Conference adaptions or Virtual Meeting web applications (even with todays technology) doesn't come cheap.....and not every consumer will have the PC capacity/network speed for the application to function properly.

Here's a few examples of what we use at work.....Web RTC Conference Assistance....:

Min. PC requirements..:

CPU - Intel Core iS-4690 or better.
Graphic Card - Direct TX 10.0 512MB
RAM - 4GB to 8GB.
Memory Storage - 60GB or more.

Network Speed - min. 2GB in/2GB out

Operating System - Win 7pro or newer, MAC Fuze Meeting w/latest OS.

Cameras are also an issue.......We use PTZ Pro. Sound systems are not much of a problem, most everything that comes with a modern PC works.

I have been associated with two former web forums as a Mod or Admin.........at both sites we had live chat lines.........arguments and big ego's were still a problem at times. Unfortunately, you cannot prevent that "human" aspect from popping-up......just control it with hands-on Mod's that can pull the plug.....which we did occasionally.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hardware isn;t that far off. I can sit on top of a mountain in the National park ad live stream tv to my cell phone through my cable provider. Granted it is only one way but who would have dreamed that possible 10 years ago?

We need another UFO to crash like that one in Roswell so we can get some updated technology to start doling out.

Egos will always be an issue, just go to any local flying club on a Saturday to prove that point...
Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Hardware isn;t that far off. I can sit on top of a mountain in the National park ad live stream tv to my cell phone through my cable provider. Granted it is only one way but who would have dreamed that possible 10 years ago?

We need another UFO to crash like that one in Roswell so we can get some updated technology to start doling out.

Egos will always be an issue, just go to any local flying club on a Saturday to prove that point...
Even my old trusty Blackberry 8 would video conference till certain people created problems for RIM ...
I now use the later Z30 ... but of course again they've removed compatibility with BB RIM.

So I use my Samsung S8 ... and its funny as its basically only the USA I have trouble with comms ... I can travel most other areas including conflict zones and no problem.

Anyway - given the average PC at home works Skype ... as well as other Web based Video / Message comms - we are not that far off .....
No longer do I need to scrounge 'time' of the Military boys vid-comms. With smartphone and gear for the street person - we can communicate to an extent that even 10 years ago was unheard of.

As to Forums .... I have 3 I created and run ... I moderate on another 3 ... I advise Govt bodies and Associations on Fuel matters as they change ... all possible because of todays gear.

I remember the days of BB's ... with black screen and text only !! UGH !! Looking back - its incredible we ever kept sanity with the BB's !!
And incredibly - being one of the first to carry a Notebook Computer for Work with Saudi Govt ... the BB was important !! Trouble was we needed a telephone line for the basic modem available then !! A 286 Dos Notebook ... a modem that was so slow that you started a short message and went had dinner while it sent !! It was quicker to use a Fax !!

Nigel
Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Oh....the technology is available now and the out-source distribution is in-place.......but, consumer interest and network provider prices control the industry.

From what I understand, "hand-held" devices that have the capacity to perform multi virtual web communications exist too.......the military and NASA use them........there are even dedicated satellites circling the Earth ready for the expansion........... However, we (the average consumer) are years away from the reality........power supply and high speed processor heating issues are the culprit.

But, like all have mentioned, in the last + 10 yrs we have gone from virtually no broadband wireless speed to 12Mbps to 50Mbps download speeds.........or known as 4G LTE. Even 5g is on the horizon.......which will require cell-phones to be a little larger in size.......Maybe when we start mining asteroids we'll find materials that will overcome heating and power consumption issues......

Last edited by pizzano; 02-27-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Telstra in Australia has announced a 5G network soon. Wow! That will be fasssst however I guess you will have to pay for the goodies and my guess is it won't be cheap. I use mainly 4G and Satellite and am happy with those. Some videos could be better on youtube even with 4G.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:23 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

What has technology brought us.

Today cell phones have taken over number 1 cause of car accidents/deaths. Use to be alcohol and drugs.

Millennial's who require adulating schools to teach them how to do everyday functions and react in public.

Online streaming of murders

School shootings as a result of cyber bullies

Cyber fraud and theft that is impossible to stop

Fake news and media

Cyber warfare that is coming. Like shut down the electrical grid and banking.

I am guilty, I help bring it to you. Right now already implementing 5G to steal your money faster. I keep my cell phone turned off and use Proxy Servers on the Dark Web.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:58 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I prefer to look on the positive side of things, yeah sure tech can be used in negative ways and it has fundamentally changed, and not for the best in some cases, our lives in general.

But... it sure has created a lot of good stuff too.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:33 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I prefer to look on the positive side of things, yeah sure tech can be used in negative ways and it has fundamentally changed, and not for the best in some cases, our lives in general.

But... it sure has created a lot of good stuff too.
Absolutely.

Nigel