Shop reorganization project - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Shop reorganization project

Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default Shop reorganization project

So as the old adage goes, no matter how much space we have we tend to fill it up. I got tired of continually hunting stuff and moving planes around to work on or even just to get to other planes to go fly or whatever.

When I bought this house the shop was unfinished and the walls were in this uncovered insulation state. There was some OSB sheets in the shop that were intended for the walls but all my stuff got moved in and all set in front of them so that corner became the catch all to stack whatever I wasn't using at the time.

So this past week my son was in from College for spring break and we tackled it. cleaned it all out, threw out a bunch of crap, put all the boards we had (will be getting more to finish) and built these plane racks to get everything up off the floor. I hate wheels with flat spots!

Still got a ways to go but feel much more relaxed now when I am out in the shop and don't see all that clutter, and can actually see the floor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
almost done.jpg (99.7 KB, 83 views)
almost done 3.jpg (145.7 KB, 80 views)
almost done 2.jpg (136.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:45 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

It's looking a lot better than the last time I saw it Bill. Bet it was sure nice to have a high quality assistant giving you a hand out there!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:36 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Wow, quite a change from the last photo I saw. Looks great.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:35 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Thanks guys, still have a lot to do, I found out it is much harder to put those panels up by myself... wish Mason was still home to help!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:49 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Bill your shop looks great now compared to pics I have seen in the past. Getting rid of clutter makes for a happier work space.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:30 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Thanks guys, still have a lot to do, I found out it is much harder to put those panels up by myself... wish Mason was still home to help!
Look into the idea of renting a sheetrock lifter, A store like Home Depot or any construction rental store should have them.

I have installed 4x12 5/8" sheetrock on a cathedral ceiling by myself with one. On the ceiling drive nails at the joint at top center and start there, working your way down to the sides. It is easier that way.

Just place the sheet on the hooks and crank it up, it will lock in place, then move your ladder and screw it on.

It won't work well on the walls.

However you don't get to be an old carpenter like me without a few tricks.
Use a real good C-clamp clamped to a point above the center of the place where you want the panel. screw a 2x4 block on the panel (don't try this with sheetrock) to fasten a line form the panel to the back loop of the C-clamp and back down to the ground. If you have a small block and tackle, use it to raise the panel. Fasten the line off very well and then fasten the panel to the wall.

As you might guess, I had to do a lot of 2 man jobs by myself.
If you have questions PM me and we can trade phone numbers.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:27 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I went one better, had another club mate come over and help last night! lol

Good tips though! Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Hey that's the best way to do it.

I just bought an OLD pallet-jack for $60, that cheaper than 1 mobile base for my bigger tools.

I will just make or modify bases so that the jack can slip under them. Then I can move them anywhere in the shop.