******* Windows 10 and the latest update - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

******* Windows 10 and the latest update

Old 04-12-2018, 03:27 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default ******* Windows 10 and the latest update

I am now transferring works data and email archive to this computer because my Works Lenovo has decided that the Fall Creators Win 10 cannot be installed no matter what I do ...

I've done all the tricks and ways I can find online .. IT pals of mine have looked and apart from a complete re-install - its ******'d !

I switchy it on and for about 3 - 4 mins its trying to decide what to do ... then next 5 mins it throws up I need to update Windows to install latest updates ... it then slows me down for next 9 hours as it downloads the update ... starts install and then craps out - saying its reverting to old windows (1607).

I've had enough Bill ... you've destroyed a perfectly good computer ...

The Acer I am typing on now had exactly same installation and that updated fine ...

Nigel
Old 04-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I know what you feel like but I don't have critical stuff in my PC's anymore.

My laptop decided to stop showing any kind of video. Should be simple enough I thought, just update or reinstall the video drivers. Well after 3 weeks of trying that idea, and everything else, still no video.

My full desktop PC will suddenly freeze and nothing except pulling the cord out of the wall will get it's attention. Plus it started going black screen except for the top and bottom bar of the program.

Well for me everything is running smooth right now. I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot on my laptop.
I know that may not be an option for you on some programs, but for anything web-based it works great for me, and no worries about viruses or at least only 0.1% as much.

The laptop I put it on is a HP Pavilion dv7 with a Intel Core I7 processor, It also has Win 7 on it.
I have another HP tablet computer that will not accept a new install of the Windows program I bought for it after I changed the mother board and hard-drive, but it accepted Ubuntu and runs fine on it.

I hope you can get things working.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:02 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

For a long time - if you changed a major component - then Windows would refuse to run ... requiring contact to MS to sort.

Nigel
Old 04-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Windows can make the Pope cuss! It's always something that doesn't get along with something else that leaves you pulling your hair out until you do a fresh install in total frustration.

I just got a Raspberry Pi 3B and started messing with it last weekend. From the time I plugged it in it has been a stress free blast. From a web surfing and e-mail standpoint it could be my normal daily computer. Raspbian OS has everything you need for office programs too. Cost for the Pi? $35.00! Of course you need a power supply, 16gb microSD card and maybe a case. Keyboard and monitor from your old unit works just fine in HDMI! Total cost about $65.00. I have a well outfitted desktop box with Win7 with good video, lots of memory etc. and a decent Dell laptop with I5, SSD, 16gb etc. They both do OK for their intended uses but this little Pi is a trip. I've played with Ubuntu in the past but always as dual boot and didn't give it the time to learn it. I'm fed up with Windows. I'll experiment with the Pi and Linux/Ubuntu until I'm good at it then dedicate either or both computers to some flavor of Linux. There are so many good open source programs out there for Linux. I understand there are some awesome audio/video editors too. I've ripped all of my DVD's into Plex for my media server. Some of those files need some cleaning up and the programs to do it are for the most part free!

Of course the Pi isn't going to handle much in the way of video work but I'm using it as a training platform to better learn Linux. I should have been doing this a long time ago and climbed out of Windows.....

Joe
Old 04-12-2018, 08:40 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Won't say I didn't warn you Win10 users many many months ago......Oops.....guess I did.......lol

My IT guy bought the Raspberry 3b mother board, case, Raspberry power supply and touch screen for his daughter when it first came out (the 3b+)..........he and she love it........could not believe how expensive it is....!

When Windows stops supporting Win7pro and I can no longer keep it running decent, I'm all ready set-up for Linux on an older laptop collecting dust here.........will dive into it then, with help from my trusting IT buddy.....lol
Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I'm sure you know, Ubuntu is Linux, how much different it is from other forms of Linux, I can't say.

I downloaded the latest LTS version (Long Term Support) 16.xx.xx I think, made an ISO copy to a disk or to a USB drive (as you wish) they have directions on-line. Put that into the laptop and turn it on. It should boot-up into install mode.

Note; My HP laptop had the Bios set to start first from the hard-drive then the CD, I had to change the order. I think HP does that to keep some people out.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I will stick with Win 7 as long as I can. It runs my Quad software for missions and everything else. I have another laptop coming as mine is missing letters and numbers and I have already replaced the keyboard. It seems to be internal somewhere. It was a great machine once. Win 7 will be going on the next one as well.
I mainly use my Mac though.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:56 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I know what you mean, I have AutoCAD 2000 which I am very comfortable with, unfortunately it won't load on any of my 64 bit machines so I have to keep an old 32 bit machine just for it and my Real flight sim. It's in another room so I need to get it on the Wifi to print.

I don't even remember what OS that one has.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:07 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Nigel or anyone I can help you with Linux Distros.

There are two to consider Unbuntu and Linux Mint. Beginners will want to use Mint as Mint requires less resources on older machines, software manager is much faster, software source because you can easily reset the repository. Mint come out of the box with a lot more apps, codec, and flash.

One thing you will want with either is WINE so you can run Window apps without the hassle of setting up partition on a SSD and bogging down resources.

But for a web browser using Firefox is lightning fast and virtually virus and tamper-proof. Once you get use to it, you will never go back to MS or MAC
Old 04-14-2018, 05:44 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I have an HDMI stick preloaded with linux and a bunch of software, no bigger then a streaming stick like chrome cast or those cheap little roku streaming sticks.

I have it loaded up with a bunch of old dos games from when I was a kid. Pretty much all I use a computer for now a days.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:38 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I'm sure you know, Ubuntu is Linux, how much different it is from other forms of Linux, I can't say.

I downloaded the latest LTS version (Long Term Support) 16.xx.xx I think, made an ISO copy to a disk or to a USB drive (as you wish) they have directions on-line. Put that into the laptop and turn it on. It should boot-up into install mode.

Note; My HP laptop had the Bios set to start first from the hard-drive then the CD, I had to change the order. I think HP does that to keep some people out.
After we scrubbed most of the garbage (I had loaded) off of the new hard drive installed on the older HP laptop...(HP sure is a pain to remove their "helpful" integrated systems tools).......we loaded Linux with WINE 3.5 and integrated my WIN7 Pro copy.......we had a few bios issues that we circumvented and made a CD back-up copy.......It was running fine a few moths ago.......still need to load a web browser........will probably do that and download the 3.6 up-dates as time permits.......!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:51 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I played with Linux some years ago as I found it provided a good server base. I had a server set up in my Office to provide PC based Charting / Mapping archive / service. I was Vectorising charts and topo's to create chart sets for LOWRANCE GPS gear. It was a hobby ... for my own use - I vectorised the River I live on as no charts were available for any GPS units....

Anyway - Linux was good - but then server was reverted to Windows 97 vers 1 ... as that was most stable for our use and allowed use of my old sheet feed scanner.
Various people I talked to were using Linux - but in those days some email packages and other services such as the Small Boat Club Forum wouldn't show on it.

I've never really looked at it again ...

The Lenovo came with Win 7 on it ... and it was a free upgrade to Win 10 .. so I took it. Everything was fine until this latest Win 10 version .... it just will not install but MS have made it so it keeps re-downloading to try again. My Lenovo is stuck on Win Home 1607 version which is supposed to upgrade without problems - but so far I have read many complaints online similar to my own.

The Acer which came with Win 7 updated as well to Win Home 10 same - but has accepted all updates and this latest upgrade without any hitch at all.

There's something the install is detecting or not finding that kicks it out ...

Nigel
Old 04-14-2018, 11:45 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I have freinds who only run linux on high-end gaming pc's and use windows emulators for everything, because it works better emulated through linux then it does in windows.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:48 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I have freinds who only run linux on high-end gaming pc's and use windows emulators for everything, because it works better emulated through linux then it does in windows.
That would be WINE.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... so I have finally got it sorted.

But dear old MS in its typical form created a system that just drove me nuts for 3 days ...

My WIN 8 had been updated with the Free Win 10 .... fine ... Home Edition which was fine and did all I wanted. Updates went through fine ... until this latest fiasco when in November they started rolling out pre-notices for the Redstone versions ... No problem - I could ignore the early pop-ups and in fact once you declined a few times - they stopped. But come February - they started up with the "Your version of windows needs updating to install latest security etc. etc. ..... "
Didn't matter what you did - you could not stop it downloading ... that's fine if it installs once downloaded ......... BUT of course MS forgot to allow for various OEM Drivers and differences .... turns out my Lenovo had drivers specific to it that this upgrade could not work with - so it crapped out.
Now that's fine if the install fails and you can then go back to work and it leaves you alone .......... no way was MS going to let us off the hook ...
No - it just started the whole process again ... fail ... start again ....

I tried all the solutions online - updating drivers ... changing registry lines .... applying patches ..... nope ... nothing worked.

Now I have to say - I'm not completely stupid when it comes to PC's ... so this was getting me going.

I spent days on the web scouring for info ... titbits that could solve this or at least give a clue to a solution.

In the end - with no remedy working ... I decided that only way would be to re-install Win 10 Home and see if it would update to a later version such as 1703 to get through ..
I downloaded and cut the DVD ... the ISO was the general Win 10 with all forms .. Home, Pro, Enterprise included.

I transferred data to my Acer so in event of losing data - I had it backed up elsewhere.

OK ... start the process .... but instead of installing Home as set - it installed Enterprise Evaluation !! What a mess ... now I had a system with a 90 day eval licence !!

So trawl the web again ... seems this is a fault common - that the Home editions that fail upgrade as mine did - basically fail if you try to re-install.

The problem now is that you cannot do anything with the machine to get rid of the version unless you wipe all clean.

Loads of online advice to alter Registry keys ... and try install again.

So finally I get to Win 10 Pro installed ........ it refused Home and would only install Pro.

But activation fails a) because my digital key is Home version, b) My Organisation Authentication Server cannot be found ... I haven't got one !!

This means that even though registry now set Win 10 as Pro - the Enterprise factor still interfered ...

No matter how many times installation / restarts / rewrites ... it insisted on Enterprise.

Finally I lost my rag with it and used the Authentication txt file to beat this ... and now I have a working PC again.

I have no issue with paying for fair and square programs etc. But this way of forcing hand and its failing to work is nothing short of diabolical.

So many online I found had spent out their $119 or whatever for licence to find same as me - the system was so f***** up - you could not get the licence to work.

I was lucky that I have a number of computers around the house ... particularly this Acer alongside the Lenovo and it has become my works machine now ... with all my data saved on it.

Nigel
Old 04-21-2018, 10:34 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Sorry you are having problems with Win 10 mate but you are not alone from what I hear. My brother is having the same problems.

As for me, well my son in law gave me his old Toshiba Sattellite that he had loaned to my grand daughter. She filled it up until it locked up. I managed to retrieve his photos etc using my Mac but the drive itself was unrecoverable.
He sent it to me last week and after some time I worked out it had proprietry software and not much could be done so I looked up the Toshiba site.
I ordered a special thumb drive that was for recovering Toshibas but had to supply the Model No. and Serial Number to get the correct software.
Last Monday I ordered it from Freemont USA and in 4 days it was in Brisbane Customs. Next day it was in my hands and in the Laptop! All for US$35!
It took about 5 hours to reinstall and the worst part was the 181 updates it needed.
BUT, I now have a superb little widescreen Laptop with a registered copy of Win7 and it just worked!.
I took the SSD out of my old Laptop and fitted the clone back in that one.

Then I downloaded AOMEI Backupper and cloned the Toshiba drive to the SSD drive.
It worked perfectly and now my Toshiba is a rocket!
Incidentally the Toshiba is a 64 Bit 'puter whereas my old one was 32 Bit.
It has 8 GB of Ram and I have loaded my Drone Programs on and all is working perfectly.
Slowly entering my Bookmarks etc but I am very relieved that everything went so well.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:57 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Tosh ....

I used to be a Tosh fan .... I know what you mean about Toshiba proprietary. Its actually not hard to create Tosh OS .... I have done it a few times.

You take standard windows and there are utilities to recompile the Windows with Tosh 'apps' added. Then cut a DVD disk and bingo ..... bootable Tosh disk.

If you PM me ... I can give links so your brother can fix it ? I won't put them here as they are not official MS fixes.

Nigel