Wattage PT-17 modified & ready to fly - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Wattage PT-17 modified & ready to fly

Old 08-24-2005, 09:20 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Default Wattage PT-17 modified & ready to fly

Just completed this handsome Stearman and will give it it's maiden flight tomorrow.

MODIFICATIONS:
* Installed a Plettenberg Freestyle24 brushless motor
* Replaced flimsy landing gear with a 1" wide aluminum unit with an 11" spread, using 2 7/8" wheels for our grass airfield. (Stock 1/4" pieces are too soft and easily bent on hard landings). The 11" spread provides good ground stability.
* A ThunderPower Li-Po 2100mah 3s1p battery
* A CoolRunning A-25 ESC
* An 8x4 Zinger prop (will convert to an APC-E after visit to LHS)

Here's the E-calc data to provide performance data.
* 8x4 Zinger, 16.9 amps, 99watts per pound, 1,523 ft/min at 42 degrees climbout and 17.0 minutes cruise.

I also checked:
* With 8x6 Zinger: 21.7 amps, 122 watts/lb, 1852 ft/min, 47 degrees climb-out,
14.5 minutes cruise.

* With 10x6 MAS electric prop: 34.9 amps, 173 wats/lb, 1904 ft/min at 90 degrees climb out. Certainly produces performance that would probably rip off the wings and would require a higher amp rated ESC.

I choose the 8x4 combination for a more docile maiden flight and longer flight time to sort it out.

Will get back with flight update,
Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WATTAGE-STEARMAN-WIDE-LG.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	864  

Last edited by donjiskra; 08-25-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:01 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Default Wattage Stearman PT-17 flight test result

I tried to take-off with the Zinger 8x4 prop rolling through our grass field was not a problem but there was not enough power, (99 watts per pound), to take off. Air was calm which did not help.
I installed the 10 x 6 Master Airscrew Electric (173 w/lb), the Stearman had plenty of power and no problem getting airborn but it was very erratic and wobbling, after getting up 5 feet. I brought it down to determine the cause. Inspection revealed that the firewall had separated from the fuselage causing the motor to seek other directions.
The firewall has been secured with JB Weld epoxy and another test is scheduled for next week, using an APC-E 10x7 (155 w/lb).
Don
Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Default Wattage Stearman motor mount

Here's how I fixed the firewall and how I mounted the Plettenberg brushless motor.
The motor mount is available from http://www.espritmodel.com/ the mounts are awesome and can be adapted to your model by selecting the proper length rods.
Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stearman-motor-mount.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	949  
Old 10-06-2005, 09:49 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Default Wattage PT-17 demise

Well it roared off in a fury got airborne about 3ft and then nosed in BAMMO!!! Plane is now for parts retrieval. Too bad as it sure looked good until the pilot, (ME), couldn't handle it
Old 10-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Duster52

Very distressing! I have many hours on the GWS PT-17 and love it. After a few accidents and repairs, I need a new one. I have been looking at the WattAge model and considering it for my new one. It is much more scale looking and I know it is heavier with almost the same wing area. I was hoping for some flight reports before I put in for the "Christmas hint"!

Are you considering another one or have you given up on it?

Thanks and good luck.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:27 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Default Another?

Well I did like the plane and how it looked but I had to modify too many things about it to make it grass field worthy.
1-the landing was not sturdy enough for rough landingd
2-the wing stuts rubber fasteners were replaced with machine screws (again too flimsy)
3-I didn't like the fact that the wings had to be removed in order to replace the battery. (I inserted through the cockpit).
4-Stock motor not powerful enouigh for grass field take off, so I installed a brushless motor and used a 3s1p LiPo instead of other batteries. (great weight reduction)
5-Reworking the motor mount took a lot of time
6-After doing all these mods I had very capable model which evidently exceeded my flyiny skills

Other than all the above it was a great looking model, but if you keep it stock and fly off a paved runway it will work. I would recommed it for you, if you love the Stearman.

The manual is superb and greatly illustrated, easy to follow.

Good luck,
Don
Old 01-28-2020, 08:38 AM
Aviator Wim

Default Building instructions needed

Hello,
recently I've bought this lovely plane as a building kit. But the building instructions are not included.
Is there any way that you could provide them?
Many greetings from Belgium 😀

Originally Posted by donjiskra View Post
Just completed this handsome Stearman and will give it it's maiden flight tomorrow.

MODIFICATIONS:
* Installed a Plettenberg Freestyle24 brushless motor
* Replaced flimsy landing gear with a 1" wide aluminum unit with an 11" spread, using 2 7/8" wheels for our grass airfield. (Stock 1/4" pieces are too soft and easily bent on hard landings). The 11" spread provides good ground stability.
* A ThunderPower Li-Po 2100mah 3s1p battery
* A CoolRunning A-25 ESC
* An 8x4 Zinger prop (will convert to an APC-E after visit to LHS)

Here's the E-calc data to provide performance data.
* 8x4 Zinger, 16.9 amps, 99watts per pound, 1,523 ft/min at 42 degrees climbout and 17.0 minutes cruise.

I also checked:
* With 8x6 Zinger: 21.7 amps, 122 watts/lb, 1852 ft/min, 47 degrees climb-out,
14.5 minutes cruise.

* With 10x6 MAS electric prop: 34.9 amps, 173 wats/lb, 1904 ft/min at 90 degrees climb out. Certainly produces performance that would probably rip off the wings and would require a higher amp rated ESC.

I choose the 8x4 combination for a more docile maiden flight and longer flight time to sort it out.

Will get back with flight update,
Don