Anybody tried a Wild Wing? - Page 11 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Anybody tried a Wild Wing?

Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 AM
gotboostedvr6

As I understand it the company that was producing them went under.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
wriggs

Thumbs up Wild Wing

Originally Posted by jimw1956 View Post
These are on sale for $29...any good?
Yes! Fly it with small control throws to start with. You will find that the C of G is critical, so not room for much error. If you put a large control movement in to start a loop at speed, the wing will flick roll and it takes around 3 to 4 metres to establish vertical downwards control before you pull up, so start with small movements, then increase these until satisfied with the handling.
I have also found that the model will climb at speed and then descent steeply when on the glide.
I have played around with the motor speed / elevator mix on my computer set to good effect. I have used this method before on other models and it keeps the model level at any throttle setting.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 PM
littlephoenix

Originally Posted by Rhondas View Post
Yes I found that out, maybe you could write to the seller of that eBay Item and see if he has any contacts as to where he bought them to sell?

dont bother, Multiplex bought out the wind wings so they can sell their own Xeno wing for much higher price tag here is the multiplex Xeno replacing the wild wing
Old 09-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Rhondas

Default wild wing

Originally Posted by littlephoenix View Post
dont bother, Multiplex bought out the wind wings so they can sell their own Xeno wing for much higher price tag here is the multiplex Xeno replacing the wild wing
many of the wild wing flyers say that the intructions for the CG is wrong,it should be closer to the battery hatch.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 PM
littlephoenix

hey guys
here is my new wild wing, i got lucky and one of my good friends got me this wild wing, since they do not make them anymore, this will be the last one.
here is a video and picture is below

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OotZFOj1jtY[/media]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wildwing2010.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	120586  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Looks cool.... !
Good job. I've got one that I haven't bilt yet... Maybe its time..
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM
littlephoenix

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Looks cool.... !
Good job. I've got one that I haven't bilt yet... Maybe its time..
if you ever decided to sell it, let me know, hehe
Old 02-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

ok....
Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 AM
visalia31

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17202

just posted this to another thread. it is about pulling banners or signs. anyone ever tried to do this with their WW? any ideas or suggestions? advice like... Don't do it you'll wreck!!!

thanks

V
Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 AM
visalia31

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...d=1#post697154

shows my WW pulling a banner. banner design was no good. have to re-design it to fly right.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

yup,
so no banners... I got it..
Old 07-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Hodakaguy

thought I would post up some pics of my build so far. Had this Wild Wing kit in the garage for the past two years.....got to looking around and I have enough spare parts to put this thing together so I figured I would get going on it. I changed a few things on the kit to hopefully make it fly better. I removed about 3" worth of EPP foam from the rear of the wing to move the motor forward and help CG balance out correctly. I also routed a groove and added another carbon fiber spar to increase the stiffness of the wing. I covered it in iron-on Ultra Coat. For the motor mount I used a piece of hard wood and two carbon rod pieces, routed out the openings for the wood and the rods and epoxied them into place (thrust angle even with the bottom of the wing). Not to far from finishing things up now, the battery I wanted to use won't fit (3S 2100MAH Lipo) so I may router out a little more clearance and try a 1300MAH batt. I think I may still have to add lead in the nose to get the CG right if I can't use the 2100 Batt. I'm going to try a BP21 Brushless motor ($9.99) and a 7x6E prop.

Here's a few pics so far.

The start of the build. Using Epoxy to attach the trailing edge carbon rods.

Here you can see the area of foam I removed to move the motor closer towards the nose of the wing. You can also see the extra carbon spar I added to the wing.

This is the setup that I use for routing out foam. Works great for installing spars, opening up battery bays, etc. Roto-Zip with a small router bit. Just set the depth on the guide and trim away, leaves a nice clean edge.

HS55 Servos installed using low temp Hot Glue.

I decided to use a made in China BP21 Brushless Motor on this build, they are cheap ($9.99) and they hold up great! The plastic motor mount that comes with the kit is junk, plus it won't work with the BP21. I decided to fabricate a mount from scratch. A piece of hard wood and a couple carbon rod pieces later and instant motor mount.

Here's the mounting area all routed out with the Roto-Zip.

And the mount resting in place before using epoxy to lock it in place. It doesn't really look like it in these pics but the motor is parallel with the bottom of the wing, not the top.

You don't have to add covering to the wind but it does make the wing stiffer and stronger. I lightly sanded the wing and used Ultracoat for the covering. I decided not to "glass" this wing like I did the SledgeHammer to save weight.

Underside in Silver. I'll add some orange to the underside as well before I'm finished.

Engine mount stick. Still a little long in this pic, I cut it down some before bolting up the motor.

Getting close to being finished. Still have a little wiring up to do then head down to the park for the maiden flight. Hope it goes well, should be a fun little wing!

I should have just made it ultra light with foam ailerons etc, oh well...it will still be a kick to fly. I'm going to change the batt location to be sideways and farther into the nose to help with the CG.

Hodakaguy
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM
oakleyjp

Default Where are they?

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a new kit of kit's. They are no longer made and hard to find.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 PM
UncleBob
Still Flying G3 ...

Glad I backed up the truck a few years back, pretty sure I have 5-6 kits left still. I would have thought that there is a market for a $25 wing out there, someone surely can start molding a new improved but similar design?

Worst case, you get bought out and make some cash ....
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM
littlephoenix

Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
Glad I backed up the truck a few years back, pretty sure I have 5-6 kits left still. I would have thought that there is a market for a $25 wing out there, someone surely can start molding a new improved but similar design?

Worst case, you get bought out and make some cash ....
love the wild wings, multiplex bought them out
you selling any of your kits?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 PM
UncleBob
Still Flying G3 ...

Originally Posted by littlephoenix View Post
love the wild wings, multiplex bought them out
you selling any of your kits?
I probably better just fly the little buggers, I love the wing - that's why I and my brothers got a dozen at once ...
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 AM
thomdoe

UncleBob that was a GREAT wing