A. R. Drone technology extending to RC? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

A. R. Drone technology extending to RC?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
But this is something quite different from spontaneous disregard for all things safety by a few nuts. This is the marketing of such idiocy with all the honed tools of persuasion learned in the past 100 years of compelling advertising. And they're not selling iPhones, they're selling RC flying quadracopters with the real capacity to injure people. Are they putting any effort at all toward promoting responsible ownership? Are they promoting a learn to fly program? Do they teach the principles of flight? Do they encourage AMA membership and print the AMA safety guidelines? See for yourself. Count the safety violations.

Air battle! Fight! Augmented reality with missiles and guns! Who are they advertising to? What is the absolutely sure result of this foolishness? Note the open rotor design of the quadricopter--it has meat cleavers extending around everywhere! What happens when a 10-year old Ratchet & Clank maniac just launches one? Fillet of gamer anyone?

Why don't we just give the darling little 10 year olds the keys to a couple of cars and let 'em play demolition derby on a downtown street? Or a couple of loaded .32 autos so they can play bullet tag in the county park? (OH! They do that already.....)
You must be trolling.

You know what is infinitely more dangerous than this toy designed with blades that pop off on impact (in case the person takes the guard off)? A 10 year old with a baseball. It's people with mentalities like yours that cause so many things to be needlessly banned. I say they ban baseball, hockey, football, and karate. One of the most dangerous sports or activities in the world is cheerleading, and yet little girls around the world are still enjoying it by the millions.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Figure.N9ne View Post
I say they ban baseball, hockey, football, and karate. One of the most dangerous sports or activities in the world is cheerleading, and yet little girls around the world are still enjoying it by the millions.
That's the interesting thing about society. They don't act logically or with any sense at all. After all, what's more dangerous, pools with diving boards, which you can no longer enjoy, or riding a motorcycle without a helmet, which is allowed in most states now?

Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters is a book detailing the intense and abusive world of Olympic girls' sports, which permanently maims, arrests the physical development of girls for the desires and needs of misguided parents and the entertainment of unknowing fans. Sumo wrestling is based on the unhealthy mutilation of human beings. The average age of a pro football lineman at death is late 40's. Same for rock musicians.

Yes, society is very fickle and arbitrary about which activities are permitted and which are not. That makes it all the more important not to appeal to the imaginations of those whose careers are based on protecting us from ourselves. They have no real desire to make us safe, as you rightly show. They are simply looking for issues that will graphically catch the attention of the electorate to propel them to reelection.

It is all the accidental coming together of a persuasive advocate, a cute victim, a reelection campaign and a bored public looking for a reason to feel good about themselves. Sometimes it is an up and coming insurance executive, a cute victim, a company looking for new ideas and initiatives, and a group of people like swimming pool owners without any organization or ability to defend themselves. But it is almost always about personal agenda and promotion and almost never truly about safety and that results in the comic inconsistency you note.

I say that based on an irresponsible ad campaign, a population of "gamers" looking for cheap thrills, technology that can hurt even us, who take all safety precautions, and a collection of lawmakers and insurance companies who are convinced that they know better than we do looking to protect us from ourselves we have all the ingredients that took cyclamates off the market in the US (they cause cancer here!) and left them on the market in Canada (no cancer there!), while the opposite happened with saccharine. Somehow cancer respects political boundaries, eh!

Oh, I would only be trolling if I made that ridiculous video. But I'm afraid it is quite real. You could equally be accused of trolling by pointing out gross inconsistencies in safety rules. Instead you raise the most dangerous point. Rules are emotionally established, emotionally enforced. There is no rational science or reason behind it and that is what makes this dangerous to our hobby.

And you're right that there is little we can do about the adoption of this technology. But it's vitally important that we do as the AMA has done and condemn all irresponsible use, just as they condemned the famous New York City FPV tour video. Before the issue is engaged, we need to take sides against stupid people. After the issue is raised we will own the label: stupid. And we won't be able to get rid of it.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

To the OP...

There is technology being marketed that allows you to fly any of your rc vehicles, using your iPhone as the controller.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ol-with-iphone
Old 07-17-2011, 03:42 PM
earthsciteach

Flying Monkey-Thanks for the post. That is an impressive idea the guy has come up with. The diverse capabilities of today's smart phones are a bit mind boggling. At least to me.

I wonder how many channels an iphone would be capable of controlling. Probably as many as you could put on a plane. No doubt the iphone user interface would have limitations compared with a TX. Certainly would not be a good idea to have to look down at the screen every time you want to use an aux channel.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Well I was wrong about one thing. Looks like these monsters are reasonably controllable with an iPhone. There is some delay through the WiFi but because of the gyro stabilization and programming the AR Drone is controllable.

Here's the Flite Test crew, Josh and Josh doing some simple indoor flying of the AR Drone Parrot. They sure aren't doing any of the radical maneuvering in the video above, but they show that it is easily controllable by a beginner.

If these things were marketed as serious hobby products it would be a great thing. But the Duke Nukem type advertising still sets off my danger sensors.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Well I was wrong about one thing. Looks like these monsters are reasonably controllable with an iPhone. There is some delay through the WiFi but because of the gyro stabilization and programming the AR Drone is controllable.

Here's the Flite Test crew, Josh and Josh doing some simple indoor flying of the AR Drone Parrot. They sure aren't doing any of the radical maneuvering in the video above, but they show that it is easily controllable by a beginner.

If these things were marketed as serious hobby products it would be a great thing. But the Duke Nukem type advertising still sets off my danger sensors.
Thank you, thats what I was trying to explain the entire thread.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Well, if these gamer kiddies buy one to do the things in the video it looks like due to the time delay they will be sorely disappointed. Looks to me that these are optimized toward stability for the beginner. If Josh Bixler could have done radical maneuvers I think he would have. As it was all they did was press the takeoff button, hover and slowly move from position to position. Then they demonstrated the land button. End of demo.

If I were an Unreal Tournament FPS gamer I wouldn't have been impressed and would be posting how lame the Parrot is. We can appreciate the technology behind it, the ability to make a controllable quadracopter with a control latency of a major part of a second (anything greater than 1/30 of a second is significant) means that the internal control system is really good, just to keep it in the air. We don't know what the range is.

When they market these things to video gamers who don't go outside more than is absolutely necessary, how can they hope to succeed? The FPSers live on adrenaline bunny hopping side to side somersaults while simultaneously accurately shooting two handed fully automatic ray pistols with unlimited ammunition. There's nothing realistic in what they do at all. If they're shot in the head with a sniper rifle while wearing a shield helmet, they eat a power up and are as good as new, ready for more simulated bloodshed. Reality is a poor second choice for them.

From an RC hobby standpoint, the cost including an integrated two camera FPV system is really good. Looks to me that building one from scratch for that amount of cash would be very difficult or impossible. I'd want a real radio on it though....

Hey, I forgot to post the Flite Test video! Worth a look..

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-23-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:04 PM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

Here read this:

The problem is safety. When flying a real airplane you are carefully trained to continuously scan 360 in all three axes to make sure your airspace is clear and that you will not have a violent meeting in the sky with someone or something. With a remotely piloted drone that just isn't possible. You think you can see but you are flying mostly blind. Therefore you are a menace to yourself and others. Some of those others are personally piloting real airplanes. Some of those others are people on the ground. If this thing becomes real easy and relatively inexpensive to do, all kinds of idiots are going to be doing it. And since the tried and true method of government enforcement of all rules is "punish the innocent. That always works," guess what the predictable result of this foolishness is going to be? You guessed it: the idiots will remain flying unhindered and our safe radio control practices will no longer be allowed. For that reason I hope that reason takes over the process and precludes any of this from taking place. Manufacturers who value their business need to ensure that any remote piloted vehicle range does not exceed a half mile. Even that is not sufficient to ensure that pilots don't leave line of sight range, but at least it would be defensibly responsible. I see dead companies, people and hobbies if this doesn't remain a video game~!

Again, FPV out of sight without a line of sight spotter is unsafe. History shows that when a very few idiots get hurt or hurt somebody a whole sport or hobby becomes unavailable to all the sensible ones among us. Have a swimming pool? Have a friend with a swimming pool? They don't and can't install a diving board any more can they?

Millions of us used diving boards safely for dozens of years. We had a ton of fun. And it was VERY safe, safer than bicycle riding or jumping on a trampoline. But....

And now there are no diving boards. If FPV gets a little out of line with just a handful of people our hobby is in danger. Don't believe it? Count the diving boards on your street, or your neighborhood, or town or state for that matter. That's how many RC planes you could see in ten years if this thing is mishandled.

There is no way with a gyro camera or anything short of a ground based radar unit that you can get the visibility a human eye on a neck gives. First of all, you have about a 180 field of view, all at one time! No camera can give you that without making everything in the field of view so small it wouldn't matter.

The eye has resolution that no camera and set of goggles can replicate, along with motion and color discrimination that no electronic system can get within miles of. No, you CANNOT have even a tenth of the visibility of a real pilot in any plane. Not only that but the brain of the real pilot instantly correlates the image with a mental picture of the surroundings and progressively builds a simultaneous picture of the space around. There is no way to get that with a camera on any kind of mount.

Trying to equate any FPV plane's safety with that of a real plane is just what will cost us our hobby. Maybe knitting is next.

The ONLY way FPV can be safe is to have an observer not flying the plane in constant sight of the plane being flown. Flying the things out of sight is a 100% guarantee of tragedy. The only question remaining to be asked is when I can no longer fly my plane because you refused to listen to reason.

Yeah, so it's cheap to cost all of us our hobby. And we're supposed to be happy for that? Diving boards were pretty affordable too.

Reality is that I am not permitted to have a diving board on my swimming pool, although I am allowed to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Reality is that the AMA has the exact point of miew that I do. Their guidelines allow FPV only in line of sight with an observer watching the plane at all times.

Reality is that a very few idiots will insist on their right to fly their FPV planes out of direct line of sight over interesting targets like cities, bridges, crowds of people, in airspace where private and commercial airplanes fly, and that these idiots will insist it is perfectly safe even after something very bad happens. it is not that they cannot see, it is that they WILL not see. You see, they feel very entitled, just like most criminals and with much the same mindset.

No panic needs to take place, just preparation to make the forseeable consequences so costly that no fool will attempt what all of us know will end up costing us our hobby. Just like the idiots in Tampa who flew a large helicopter in a public park full of people and injured a couple of girls, the consequences have to be made so grave and the people caught need to be made such an example that nobody would dare to repeat the mistake.

That means long jail terms and punitive damages they can never pay back with no bankruptcy allowed. When the foreseeable happens the perps must be entirely and completely ruined. It's them or us, just like with the diving boards where WE were completely ruined.

So, Figure.N9ne, if this were a full-blown video game it would be bad, but since it is just real quadracopters, each with four electric motors swinging what? 10 or 11 inch props at only 7000 rpm or so we shouldn't be alarmed?

Sure, there's a place for this stuff, inside a controlled gymnasium, no people in a position to be hurt by these things and tight monitoring, but we know that's not how this would be used. [irony]It's just a "video game." No responsibility need be applied.

What do you predict the result of that ridiculous mindset will be? What portion of human flesh will be filleted by these flying meat cleavers? We in the hobby take for granted the extreme safety measures we take. The things we don't even think about would be totally foreign to the market these are aimed at: the FPV killers from Unreal Tournament and other similar games of pixellated bloodshed. Except here the action will not be pixels on a screen. That sounds real great to me. You're right. I'm concerned about nothing.

Darn! I thought it was just a video game and was concerned about the safety aspect of THAT. How bizarre was that? Glad you set me straight.[/irony]

I was born recently, but not yesterday.

That's the interesting thing about society. They don't act logically or with any sense at all. After all, what's more dangerous, pools with diving boards, which you can no longer enjoy, or riding a motorcycle without a helmet, which is allowed in most states now?

Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters is a book detailing the intense and abusive world of Olympic girls' sports, which permanently maims, arrests the physical development of girls for the desires and needs of misguided parents and the entertainment of unknowing fans. Sumo wrestling is based on the unhealthy mutilation of human beings. The average age of a pro football lineman at death is late 40's. Same for rock musicians.

Yes, society is very fickle and arbitrary about which activities are permitted and which are not. That makes it all the more important not to appeal to the imaginations of those whose careers are based on protecting us from ourselves. They have no real desire to make us safe, as you rightly show. They are simply looking for issues that will graphically catch the attention of the electorate to propel them to reelection.

It is all the accidental coming together of a persuasive advocate, a cute victim, a reelection campaign and a bored public looking for a reason to feel good about themselves. Sometimes it is an up and coming insurance executive, a cute victim, a company looking for new ideas and initiatives, and a group of people like swimming pool owners without any organization or ability to defend themselves. But it is almost always about personal agenda and promotion and almost never truly about safety and that results in the comic inconsistency you note.

I say that based on an irresponsible ad campaign, a population of "gamers" looking for cheap thrills, technology that can hurt even us, who take all safety precautions, and a collection of lawmakers and insurance companies who are convinced that they know better than we do looking to protect us from ourselves we have all the ingredients that took cyclamates off the market in the US (they cause cancer here!) and left them on the market in Canada (no cancer there!), while the opposite happened with saccharine. Somehow cancer respects political boundaries, eh!

Oh, I would only be trolling if I made that ridiculous video. But I'm afraid it is quite real. You could equally be accused of trolling by pointing out gross inconsistencies in safety rules. Instead you raise the most dangerous point. Rules are emotionally established, emotionally enforced. There is no rational science or reason behind it and that is what makes this dangerous to our hobby.

And you're right that there is little we can do about the adoption of this technology. But it's vitally important that we do as the AMA has done and condemn all irresponsible use, just as they condemned the famous New York City FPV tour video. Before the issue is engaged, we need to take sides against stupid people. After the issue is raised we will own the label: stupid. And we won't be able to get rid of it.

Well, if these gamer kiddies buy one to do the things in the video it looks like due to the time delay they will be sorely disappointed. Looks to me that these are optimized toward stability for the beginner. If Josh Bixler could have done radical maneuvers I think he would have. As it was all they did was press the takeoff button, hover and slowly move from position to position. Then they demonstrated the land button. End of demo.

If I were an Unreal Tournament FPS gamer I wouldn't have been impressed and would be posting how lame the Parrot is. We can appreciate the technology behind it, the ability to make a controllable quadracopter with a control latency of a major part of a second (anything greater than 1/30 of a second is significant) means that the internal control system is really good, just to keep it in the air. We don't know what the range is.

When they market these things to video gamers who don't go outside more than is absolutely necessary, how can they hope to succeed? The FPSers live on adrenaline bunny hopping side to side somersaults while simultaneously accurately shooting two handed fully automatic ray pistols with unlimited ammunition. There's nothing realistic in what they do at all. If they're shot in the head with a sniper rifle while wearing a shield helmet, they eat a power up and are as good as new, ready for more simulated bloodshed. Reality is a poor second choice for them.

From an RC hobby standpoint, the cost including an integrated two camera FPV system is really good. Looks to me that building one from scratch for that amount of cash would be very difficult or impossible. I'd want a real radio on it though....

I just WASTED a lot of your time. (just to return the favor)

You really have no right to bash FPV, seeing as how you didn't even hear about the AR Drone till last month. Yes, stupid people do stupid things, that doesn't mean everyone who picks up FPV goggles should be whipped then tarred and feathered. You can't fix stupid!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Did you just stereotype a whole group of people based on one of their interests? Really? Someone that plays video games obviously doesn't do anything else with their time right? Just because they play video games they're going to want an advanced level quad copter? When you started flying, you started with a 35% 3d plane? No you probably started with something easy to fly and moved your way up, exactly what the parrot is, a gateway drug. If gamers that have never flown before get a standard quad copter, they will destroy it in minutes and give up on the hobby. Just because they like fast paced action and response in their games doesn't mean they want that in their first quadcopter. I love flying 3d with helicopters, I love the instability of it. When I ride my road bike, the last thing I want is instability. When I drive my car I don't want instability. When I walk, I don't want instability.

First you were bashing the Parrot AR for how uncontrollable it must be and dangerous to fly it with an iPhone, now that you actually know what it is, you're bashing it for being too well controlled by the iPhone? Really?

It flies based on wifi, it creates an adhoc network to the iPhone, since both are low range wifi systems, the range isn't very long. Of course you can connect the drone to a high power router and get much longer range, but a high power router field setup is a bit more complicated and above the typical consumers ability level.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Figure.n9ne, yup I probably did paint a whole group of people. But a large proportion of them, including my son (lol), take gaming as something they have to be serious about to be good at, and they do prefer gaming to riding a bike. My son would rather have root canal surgery than fly an RC plane. He does ride his bike quite a bit more lately. But compared to the excitement of the video games he plays, RC flying is just plain boring. Why would anyone want to go out in 95 weather and do something that boring? Better to play Ratchet and Clank, where you can do radical stuff. People who think like that are the target audience for AR Drone's advertising. They don't talk about range. They don't talk about stability. They don't talk about the requirements of beginner pilots. They don't talk about safety. They don't link to Wattflyer. They ignore the AMA or any responsible guidelines for safe flight. Their ads show maneuvering WAY above what this quadcopter did in the Flite Test video. So yes, these things are interesting to us. They are not interesting to those who are being advertised to.

I'm not bashing FPV operated by RC hobbyists within rules similar to AMA guidelines. I'm not even saying that we should all join the AMA and kowtow to their exact rules. However, in a defensive world we have to defend our rights to fly. That means flying within certain guidelines.

It would be fun to mount a BB gun in a large RC plane and use it for target practice. Wisely, there is universal agreement among RC organizations to specifically prohibit guns and rockets from allowable RC aircraft. While this would outlaw the giant B-29 with the X-1 under the wing, there are procedures to gain specific exemptions for a worthy cause.

Similarly, AMA guidelines call for a line of sight available at all times to an FPV aircraft, with an observer able to take immediate control of the aircraft during the entire flight. That is reasonable and does not constitute wasting anyone's time. Nothing wrong with FPV as long as it is practiced safely. If that is attacking FPV, too bad. I'm a big boy and don't need everyone to like me.

I will defend my hobby against anarchists who claim the right to be wrong. These AR Drones are not marketed as RC aircraft, but as video games with augmented unreality.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-23-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Figure.n9ne, yup I probably did paint a whole group of people. But a large proportion of them, including my son (lol), take gaming as something they have to be serious about to be good at, and they do prefer gaming to riding a bike. My son would rather have root canal surgery than fly an RC plane. He does ride his bike quite a bit more lately. But compared to the excitement of the video games he plays, RC flying is just plain boring. Why would anyone want to go out in 95 weather and do something that boring? Better to play Ratchet and Clank, where you can do radical stuff. People who think like that are the target audience for AR Drone's advertising. They don't talk about range. They don't talk about stability. They don't talk about the requirements of beginner pilots. They don't talk about safety. They don't link to Wattflyer. They ignore the AMA or any responsible guidelines for safe flight. Their ads show maneuvering WAY above what this quadcopter did in the Flite Test video. So yes, these things are interesting to us. They are not interesting to those who are being advertised to.

I'm not going to bother getting into the FPV or AMA stuff because I really don't care for all the red tape and bureaucratic stuff, I'll stick to the AR drone itself.

Again you're forming an uninformed opinion about their marketing. I first heard about the AR Drone from Robert Scoble, a well know technology blogger. Many other tech bloggers, tech entrepreneurs, start up guys, bloggers, gamers, etc are the people going crazy for this thing. Everyone that I know that owns one is not an RC hobbyist, but a tech geek. They sell them at the Sharper Image, where regular people see them and buy them up like crazy. The marketing is working great. Everyone that I have seen show up at the fields I fly at with an AR drone is a person that bought it because they saw an ad, or saw it at The Sharper Image and it's their only "RC" vehicle. Marketing to RC people would not have been as lucrative because actual hobbyists would rather build a real quad copter with their own electronics in it, more power, etc.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by lucas2696 View Post
edited by moderator
Figure.N9ne talks about ideas, not people. He is absolutely correct on what the AR Drone really is, an excellent entry level quadcopter, plus a dual camera FPV system for a really decent price. I think it's entirely possible that he's right, that the techies (who are NOT the object of the video) have the power to pull the Drones out of the fire and overcome the apathy of the gamers who won't respond except negatively. Techies are not afraid of steep learning curves, would LOVE the easy to fly characteristics and appreciate the know-how necessary to achieve that.

But generally techies aren't so interested in blowing stuff up or vaporizing it, the strong emphasis of the promotional video for the AR Drone.

Actually right now Sharper Image lists a Remote Control Flying Spaceman, RC 2N1 Vehicle, Flying Fish RC Mini Helicopter, an RC Jet, an RC Speedboat, a Fiery Dragon RC Helicopter, a Remote Control Flying Saucer, a Remote Control Car with Water Gun, an Electric Remote Control Buggy
and a Duck Hunter free flight ornithopter that you can zap with your remote control to shoot it down. As I count it that's 10 radio control vehicles, plus the free flight ornithopter and the AR Drone is nowhere to be seen, because it was so popular I bet. There is no reason for attacking people when your ideas are correct. The truth is that in spite of obviously loving the RC category, Sharper Image no longer has a place for the AR Drone, which in my opinion is superior to all the rest of their RC products combined.

Again, I say that the AR Drone apparently is an excellently designed product with brain-dead marketing directed toward people who will not buy. If they do buy they will have very colorful things to say about how lame it is compared to (fill in the blank) awesome video game. And, like I've said earlier, these people know nothing about RC safety and would endanger our hobby merely by using the product as suggested in the brain-dead videos.

I hope the techies and real AR enthusiasts bail the thing out. It looks like a really good product that deserves to live.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-23-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

This thread and the posters have already been warned to keep it civil and respectful to each other. Please clean it up!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:33 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Is this the same "Sharper Image" company that sold the Ionic Breeze on TV? Until they ran into ozone problems and other issues??

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...rper-image.htm

Just curious
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Twmaster

Guys, keep it clean. No more warnings. Got it?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Have you guys seen the AR drones that are controlled by an iphone, ipad or laptop?

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/

I just found these today. I wonder how long (doubt very) it will be until that technology is extended to all of the RC world. I also wonder how long it will take for the government to crack down on it due to possible nefarious applications.

It creates its own wifi connection to your Mac product. You fly it as a drone, through video cameras mounted horizontally and vertically. Can even battle with another one as a video game. Pretty cool, crazy stuff!
Man I want one of these, Bad!, has anyone found them in the US, and do they work on a android OS? or just Iphones......

have a good one
cr
Hows the vaca going? Sitting on the beach with a laptop surfing WF....I hope!!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Crimson, although the AR Drone was designed for the iPhone at first, it is an open architecture software and other smart phones will be able to fly it. I saw a video on You Tube about flying one with an Android.

Dennis, yeah, same company. The Ionic Breeze proved in testing to do nothing for the air quality of a room. But they're priced so high they're still cool and people still buy them!

Hey, Sharper Image sells items that people think are cool. They don't actually have to work, just project the product's halo of cool over the buyer! Sometimes products that have trouble getting traction elsewhere come to life there. My favorite similar company was DAK! Drew Alan Kaplan just had a nose for cool and could sell a migrane headache at a premium. I loved his catalogs.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Figure.N9ne talks about ideas, not people. He is absolutely correct on what the AR Drone really is, an excellent entry level quadcopter, plus a dual camera FPV system for a really decent price. I think it's entirely possible that he's right, that the techies (who are NOT the object of the video) have the power to pull the Drones out of the fire and overcome the apathy of the gamers who won't respond except negatively. Techies are not afraid of steep learning curves, would LOVE the easy to fly characteristics and appreciate the know-how necessary to achieve that.

But generally techies aren't so interested in blowing stuff up or vaporizing it, the strong emphasis of the promotional video for the AR Drone.

Actually right now Sharper Image lists a Remote Control Flying Spaceman, RC 2N1 Vehicle, Flying Fish RC Mini Helicopter, an RC Jet, an RC Speedboat, a Fiery Dragon RC Helicopter, a Remote Control Flying Saucer, a Remote Control Car with Water Gun, an Electric Remote Control Buggy
and a Duck Hunter free flight ornithopter that you can zap with your remote control to shoot it down. As I count it that's 10 radio control vehicles, plus the free flight ornithopter and the AR Drone is nowhere to be seen, because it was so popular I bet. There is no reason for attacking people when your ideas are correct. The truth is that in spite of obviously loving the RC category, Sharper Image no longer has a place for the AR Drone, which in my opinion is superior to all the rest of their RC products combined.

Again, I say that the AR Drone apparently is an excellently designed product with brain-dead marketing directed toward people who will not buy. If they do buy they will have very colorful things to say about how lame it is compared to (fill in the blank) awesome video game. And, like I've said earlier, these people know nothing about RC safety and would endanger our hobby merely by using the product as suggested in the brain-dead videos.

I hope the techies and real AR enthusiasts bail the thing out. It looks like a really good product that deserves to live.
Most tech guys are or were gamers at some point. Most hardcore gamers are die hard PC gamers which is the primary stepping stone to computer science and IT lifestyle/careers.

My mistake, it was Brookstone, which is basically the same thing as sharper image. http://www.brookstone.com/ar-drone-q...y|toys|652479p

The AR drone was released in september of 2010, the company still hasn't folded so apparently someone is buying them, and seeing how the RC forums aren't over run by them, I'd they're regular people buying them.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Crimson, although the AR Drone was designed for the iPhone at first, it is an open architecture software and other smart phones will be able to fly it. I was a video on You Tube about flying one with an Android.

Dennis, yeah, same company. The Ionic Breeze proved in testing to do nothing for the air quality of a room. But they're priced so high they're still cool and people still buy them!

Hey, Sharper Image sells items that people think are cool. They don't actually have to work, just project the product's halo of cool over the buyer! Sometimes products that have trouble getting traction elsewhere come to life there. My favorite similar company was DAK! Drew Alan Kaplan just had a nose for cool and could sell a migrane headache at a premium. I loved his catalogs.
LOL
Yeah, I've seen some of those "Air cleaners" at county fairs around here, selling for several hundred dollars. One of them had a cut away of the inside of the unit.

With my electronic background, I recognized what parts were used. They have perhaps $10-15 worth of parts in them.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
Man I want one of these, Bad!, has anyone found them in the US, and do they work on a android OS? or just Iphones......

have a good one
cr
Hows the vaca going? Sitting on the beach with a laptop surfing WF....I hope!!
Hi
I ordered one here at Brookstone
http://www.brookstone.com/ar-drone-q...:referralID=NA
Cant wait to mess around with it
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
I ordered one here at Brookstone
http://www.brookstone.com/ar-drone-q...:referralID=NA
Cant wait to mess around with it
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
300 bones!!!! Little much, but I am sure it would be great fun and incredible technology.....waiting on your "build and maiden" thread on this one!! then we shall see......

have a good one
cr
Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I noticed that Brookstone wrote their own ad copy, and pretty good stuff it was compared to the lame videos on You Tube. And they claim the product as an exclusive! I hope that isn't another word for "closeout."

Maybe Brookstone can make a difference in the destiny of the product. I can't wait until kenchiroalpha gets his and lets us in on how it flies and what the guts look like! I'm especially interested in the FPV system. If it works as well as it appears, how do they sell it for $299.99? The FPV system alone should approach that.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:09 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

The other day I found these, some of which are under $100 bucks. I have no knowledge of what would work or what all you would need for FPV, but it is on a rc a/c web site....??

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/products.php?cat=112

have a good one
cr

but yeah RR using Iphone tech and two camera and a quadcopter.....gets expensive quickly
Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 PM
earthsciteach

Angry

Sigh. Why do some of my posts have to degenerate into all of this bashing nonsense?

Hank, I look forward to your informed review of the A.R. Drone. Please let us know what you think!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Ditto, teach

cr

Quick Reply: A. R. Drone technology extending to RC?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15246 seconds with 14 queries