Motor/batteries for 1/6 scale BUSA N-17? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Motor/batteries for 1/6 scale BUSA N-17?

Old 06-09-2016, 11:21 PM
hbgandy

Default Motor/batteries for 1/6 scale BUSA N-17?

Without motor and batteries my finished model will weigh about 4 lbs. For steady low speed flybys, and no crazy acrobatics, which motor and batteries should I mount in this 1/6 scale Nieuport 17 biplane? I am leaning toward a E-Flite Power 15 or 25 for the motor, and for two parallel batteries some make in the 4S 1800 mAh range. Comments and suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:14 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Power 25 or power 40 (or similar)... The 1/6 Proctor WWI models when glow powered are .40 glow class.

Actually I'd go with the larger motor just for its weight. Even with the heavier motor and battery as far forward as possible, you'll probably need some lead shot epoxied to the inside of the cowl. (getting it as far forward as possible so you use the least weight for the purpose)

Xoar makes an approrpriate wood "scale" prop in their WWI series. Right shape but not detailed.
You'll have excessively abundant power available so getting an efficient E series prop isn't important.
May as well swing the scale prop.

The glow version didn't need the .40 / .46 for power... it needed nose weight.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM
hbgandy

Default Motor/batteries for 1/6 scale BUSA N-17?

Thanks for your comments. Those WWI Xoar props sure look great but unfortunately they are all way too big for my 1/6 scale N-17. Know of any alternative makes that would fit? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:30 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I have some of the 14 inch and 10 inch Xoar WWI props for my 1/6 and 1/9 scale WWI models.

http://www.justmodelprops.com/xoar-p...-scimitar-wwi/
Old 06-11-2016, 05:01 PM
hbgandy

Default Xoar WWI propellers

Can't thank you enough! Why oh why does the Xoar web site itself not provide those smaller sizes? That's why I gave up. Next question to the guy who usually has all the right answers: where to find scale vintage prop hubs to fit those smaller Xoar props? Dave Lewis, Tech support at BUSA, says their hubs too large for 1/6 scale props. Do you know of any other sources for WWI vintage hubs? As always, many thanks. Cheers, Bill
Old 06-11-2016, 05:28 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Unfortunately I don't know a maker of the scale hub/nut for the small props.

Scale for the LeRhone would be 8 bolts through the front plate and prop into the hub with and un-threaded center spindle through the prop hub. I forgot the scale size of the bolts but they are smaller than 2-56 or 2mm and wouldn't hold up if you used anything that is available to actually bolt it on in the scale manner. (yes I did that once)

I'm not sure what the competition scale modelers do about this... My next experiment in thrying to eliminate that big 6 mm thread nut on the front will be to cut threads in a variation on a blind nut which will then be drilled for the 8 bolt pattern and have little studs threaded in and then add the scale nuts. I'll use spider wire fish line to simulate the scale lock wire.
Then I'll machine the exposed threads off the threaded prop shaft and hope its close enough to scale.

It would be pretty expensive to get a machinist to do this for you...
And I can't guarantee this is going to work, because I haven't done it yet.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:44 PM
hbgandy

Default Smaller Scale vintage prop hubs

Thanks. That's too much for me to even contemplate trying. Oh well, just a washer and nut will have to do for now. As a sidelight to this discussion I sense at BUSA that us 1/6 scale guys are sort of forgotten, with the 1/4 scale guys very much favored with their accessories.