Dumas Spad XIII - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Dumas Spad XIII

Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by tipsy mcstaller View Post
I'm not sure where all the weight came from (on my plane that is), but suspect the exhaust pipes. I've flown it three times this weekend with no further problems. Once I learned that yes it can stall and fall off dramatically, I'm keeping the air speed up, even on landing. It is not, however, the easy, slow park flyer I expected.

I'll post some pictures of the landing gear. Pat has you gluing it to the landing gear brace on the back of former 2, which puts it under the belly stringers. As I had to rebuild the engine mount (no stick mount), I simply moved the front "crosspiece" of the landing gear to the from of former two in the battery hatch area, and lashed it to two pieces of bracing for the firewall.

In retrospect, it probably would have been fine using the original plan, as long as the pilot is good enough to have no hard landings.

Incidentally, I changed my username, as jszeiter was simply not keeping up with the wit of the community...
Man it just seems to come out of the woodwork. I know the feeling.
My few vintage planes all ended up heavier than expected. While not terribly difficult to fly, they were not quite as relaxing as I expected. Not the indoor flyers I was planning on.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 AM
barmonkey

Thanks for the landing gear pic "Poster formerly known as jszeiter"

You kind of got me worried when you said yours hit 15 ounces...I was just kidding when in the begining of my build I stated something about 15 ounces for mine. I was kind of hoping to keep mine around 13 ounces in reality!

Do you think a larger prop/lower pitch would help the slow flying ability of the plane?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
7car7

Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
BTW...there are some 1/8, 1/9, 1/10, and 1/12 scale Spandau, Lewis Gun and Parabellum guns availibile at Wright Brothers...unfortunately no Vickers.

http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/products/wwi.htm
I just bought a set of Spandau's from these guys. They came out pretty cool. A bit hard to build the jacket, it's just paper, but they are VERY light, and worked out good in the end.

I sent an email asking if they had plans to make Vickers guns, but never heard back. I'm sure if others wrote to them, perhaps we'll see them eventually.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:52 AM
tipsy mcstaller

Any progress on the plane? Mine has become a trusted member of my hanger, although only for dead-calm days...
Old 11-01-2008, 11:37 PM
barmonkey

Haven't done a thing to it...not that I'm stuck...but just haven't had time to mess with it. It's funny how time can just fly bye.

It's nice to hear that you are still liking yours.

BTW, what did you end up with for the Center of Gravity?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:48 AM
barmonkey

Well...It looks like the Spring-Like Fall weather has left the building, it will be cold and rainy for the next few days. Hopefully, I can get my act together on my build.

I have actually started work on my reference materials. If you noticed earlier in this thread, I posted a couple of pictures showing some of my references in the form of books and some plastic models of the SPAD XIII. My theory is that building these models along with the research I have done will yield a better looking model...to this point it has done nothing but delay the completion of this project! I must remember that this was not designed (or claimed to be) a scale model...it certainly looks like a SPAD. It should fly just fine built per plans...However, as Tipsy McStaller found out, the Tower Hobby suggested power set-up aint up to snuff (thanks for your input BTW).

A NOTE TO ANY POTENTIAL BUILDERS: This kit has gone together very nicely...the parts are laser cut and there is plenty of extra balsa for those little mishaps with the stringers and such. I have made this a little more difficult on myself by adding the Ailerons, thinking about those scale details, and then running out of vacation time coupled with some very wonderful weather! Also, keep in mind the fact I am new to the building aspect of this hobby.

At any rate, I ran across this site... http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/.../showbirds.htm There are some profiles of the planes of the 94th Aero "Showbirds" by Bob Pearson (I firmly believe it is a good idea to post references!). For those that are put off by the kits Non-Warbird paint scheme, I have posted a couple of pics from that site...these schemes are legit...from post WWI victory exihibitions!

From the beginning I wanted to do a five color camo sceme: However, the wings of this plane are of the earlier rounded wing-tip type and not the squared off later type. The 94th Aero and all American Expeditionary Forces certainly had the later squared version (sorry, just a detail that bugs me a little). If I go with a legit scheme, it will have to go with the yellowish-tan colored plane scheme. The only camo schemes I have found with the rounded wing tips are British...I already have a SE5A and a Sopwith Camel in the hanger...and the SPAD is French anyway. I do like the Black SPAD with lightening Bolts though!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	spad13_94-cook.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	83510   Click image for larger version

Name:	spad13_94-dawson.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	83511   Click image for larger version

Name:	spad13_94-jeffers.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	83512  
Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 AM
rhino

NICE! Yeah the black one is cool. I also like the other two, but the last one gives me a little vertigo, heh.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
jofrost
It flew once before...

Is there any updates on this build Hope all is going well

Mine just arrived today . Everything looks pretty good , and hopefully I can get to it soon .

-John
Old 04-04-2009, 06:40 PM
tipsy mcstaller

Please feel free to post questions - I'd be happy to help from my experience building this kit.. I would REALLY suggest you mount the front of the landing gear in front of the former in the battery hatch area as opposed to under the stringers as the plans call for. Any hard landing, and the landing gear can pull away and through the stringers, making for a much harder rebuild.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:42 PM
jofrost
It flew once before...

tipsy ,

Thanks for that . I'll keep an eye on that LG mount .

Any news on BarMonkeys aeleron modded Spad ? Seems its been a while ...

I think I'll do mine for three channel as per plan .

Are you still flying yours ?

-John
Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 AM
tipsy mcstaller

Absolutely. Only in a dead calm! The plane actually performs well if you have some idea of how a biplane should fly - I didn't so there was a steep learning curve. There is a lot of wing area and thus a lot of drag. I ended up putting about two ounces in the nose, and still had to put down trim into the radio. It's a nice model and I learned a lot. I'm sure I'll do another Tritle design at some pont.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 PM
jofrost
It flew once before...

TM ,

Good to hear it worked out well . I built the Waco YMF-5 a couple years ago , and still flies great . They definately shine on calm days under modest power settings .
I got a couple models to finish first ( Earl Stahl Albatros DVa and Dare B25 ) Then maybe Pats GeeBee Model D or a Peter Rake design ...
So many choices ...

-John
Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 AM
barmonkey

Wow! I didn't realize that it has been that long...November!

I purposely did stop work on it...I was just to the point of over thinking things like scale details and the such...which probably would have left me with a brick. I have started work on some plastic scale models to help me size things up...actually I have acquired just about every plastic scale model and book made in the last 30 years for the Spad VII and Spad XIII.

I am currently working on cleaning all of the junk out of my garage so I have a better work area. Now, I just need to remember how I had the aileron situation worked out!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:18 AM
tipsy mcstaller

Keep going! I'm sure it will be a fantastic model. I was impatient, and slapped mine together. I'd love to see what's possible by somebody taking their time.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:39 AM
barmonkey

"I was impatient, and slapped mine together"

That's what I originally wanted to do...I looked back and it looks like it took twelve days to get all the parts glued up...and I couldn't work on it every day. I was proud of myself up to that point!

I should get my garage stuff done tomorrow, and a couple of days of much needed Spring house cleaning and I should be back in business...

Of course there's still the P-38, P-47 and my nitro Hydroplane I need to tweek for the races next month...
Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Ryan Flyer
K Close's friend

Hi barmonkey, any more work on the SPAD.
Ryan
Old 06-07-2009, 01:44 PM
tipsy mcstaller

I'm still subscribed to see if I can help with you build. Just one major point: The way the lower wing attaches to the fuse is inadequate. I have had to repair that around four time (and will now try to figure out how to make it permanent). I'm considering the use of carbon fiber. I'll post pictures as I do this (hopefully) final repair.

Problem is if you put it down and a wing tip strikes, the l.e. just pulls away from the fuse side.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 PM
barmonkey

Still haven't done a thing to it! The only R/C stuff I have messed with has been my boats...kind of a steep learning curve going from Electric flight to Nitro Hydroplane racing.

I do need to get back on this...missing some primo flying weather!

Let's see those pics of where yours is pulling apart...I'll try to get some pics of that area on my uncovered version. If you think that would be helpful...
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
wattman

So was this Spad ever finished ?
Has anyone else built one ?
I am thinking of getting one , that would insure some mfr making a rtf one if I do
Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 AM
PureCarnage

Default Building the Spad Xiii

Hello

I have just currently bought this and will commence building on Saturday.
Thanks for everyone's advice on how this build went, it will make it easier for me to build (with not to many mistakes)

This is my first balsa model I am building so it looks like I have a challenge on my hands

Regards
Kevin
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM
PureCarnage

Default Building the spad

So I have got some progress started on the body last night, I will post photos later. I will be doing a big change and instead of using brushless I will be using a Cox 0.049 red bee engine. Hopefully this will work out well