ParkZone enters the fray! SE5a - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

ParkZone enters the fray! SE5a

Old 07-21-2011, 03:42 PM
HobbyJumper

That's what i was thinking. A guy i know has the big p51 and i just want to duck down behind something sturdy when he's at the park.

Originally Posted by wattman View Post
I would really really want this SE5a ...............BUT , that 40 oz weight scares me , weighs around "TWICE " the weight of the Electrifly SE5a
Like Don said , it may fly like a WW2 fighter with two wings

Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM
wattman

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I have the GP SE5A and it weights 20 oz, half what the Parkzone weights. I also have the Wattage Camel which weights 16 oz. The Wattage Camel is a much slower flyer than the GP SE5A. I like flying the Wattage Camel more than the GP SE5A. I only fly the GP SE5A when I want to fly a faster plane that keeps me on my toes.

Me too Don
I have the Electrifly Spad XIII , I really like it , but , it flys just past my comfort zone , and I always try slow relaxed flying , enjoyable , for me

I have gotten comfortable with my Electrifly SE5a , flying slowly .

But the 250 size slow flyers are my favorites for sure
Old 07-22-2011, 02:26 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Me too Don
I have the Electrifly Spad XIII , I really like it , but , it flys just past my comfort zone , and I always try slow relaxed flying , enjoyable , for me

I have gotten comfortable with my Electrifly SE5a , flying slowly .

But the 250 size slow flyers are my favorites for sure
I need to come down and fly with you. Let you try my Sopwith Tripes. They will fly slow like the 250 planes but will fly better then the 250 planes in wind. I have 3 of the Kavan WWI planes and if you can find them I think you will like them too.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 PM
wattman

That would be GREAT especially when its cooler .
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

I would really really want this SE5a ...............BUT , that 40 oz weight scares me , weighs around "TWICE " the weight of the Electrifly SE5a
Like Don said , it may fly like a WW2 fighter with two wings

I agree Watt! I don't like the sounds of that much weight. Marty
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM
dai phan

Default Finally!!!!

Yo all,

It's about time!!! I hope this will fly as docile as the E-flight offering. And for the next one, PLEASE DO AN ALBATROS !!! DP
Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM
wattman

Well I am a sucker for SE5a planes , looked at one at the LHS , it followed me home .
It does look good .
And finally I now know what the chord of the wing is , 7" , so at 37" WS , it is about 518 sq inches of wing . It also has some recess curve in the bottom of the wings , brain dead now because I cannot think of the proper term .
I have hopes that I will be able to fly it Hope springs eternal
Old 08-09-2011, 02:15 PM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

Question of the day: What is that word? Ten points to the winner
Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM
ggunners

under-camber
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

We have a winner
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM
wattman

I am a fan of the SE5a WW1 biplanes , and have three electric powered SE5a in different sizes . The new Parkzone SE5a with the letter G , the Electrifly SE5a with the letter A , and the EFlite 250 size SE5a with the letter M .
16 photos at my link of the threee zizes together .

enjoy

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow
Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I like all three! very nice!!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 AM
reef_rc

I am a fan of the SE5a WW1 biplanes , and have three electric powered SE5a in different sizes . The new Parkzone SE5a with the letter G , the Electrifly SE5a with the letter A , and the EFlite 250 size SE5a with the letter M .
16 photos at my link of the threee zizes together .

enjoy

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow
wattman - cool man. nice pics. I agree...like all three. Wished I had more similar collection.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM
wattman

YEA ! my Birthday present for 67 , flys slowly
Early this AM the maiden flight of my Parkzone SE5a was performed , and the plane will fly slowly , which was my biggest fear for the weight it is .
First flight was my old Electrifly SE5a , nice , even with the breeze .
Then the PKZ SE5a , take off was at less than full throttle , and it will MOVE OUT , throttled back to half or less throttle and calmly flew around , throttle off to see the drop rate , and just flew around slowly really , too low of a throttle setting to loop I can tell you .
NO trim was required , thats a blessing , came around , lined up on the pavement , throttle too idle , and a nice descent drop rate , and nearing the flare time , gave a little throttle and extened the flare and touched lightly upon the ground , I was so happy
The breeze was bumping the Electrifly a bit when it flew , but had no affect on the PKZ SE5a , only flew one battery , the wind was kicking around , changing direction , and the sun was very bright .
I belive that it has enough motor to chase down P-51s , but it will throttle down and fly nicely while on patrol , waiting for the red planes to get within range , and then firewall the throttle and swoop down upon them .

Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

At the Puget Sound Silent Flyers in Olympia, we had a fly-in last weekend, it was very well attended, with about 150 people.

The LHS is fantastic, he is the most supportive hobby shop I have been involved with in my 50 years of modeling, along with many other donations to the club like the meat for hamburgers and hot dogs, he donated one of these SE-5's to the raffle, and he does the same things to the other clubs in this area also.

We are very loyal to him, for his support.

That plane is fantastic, I wish I had won the raffle
Old 08-11-2011, 01:35 PM
HobbyJumper

Agreed! One day you"ll have four when HZ releases the SE5a ultra micro :-)

ps: And thanks for the very useful comparison shots.

Originally Posted by reef_rc View Post
wattman - cool man. nice pics. I agree...like all three. Wished I had more similar collection.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM
wattman

Anybody know why some SE5a planes had the wide white band around the fuselage back at the rudder , stabilizer area , flight member markings or some other group markings ?

OK from the Aerodrome forum .....
Following the thread of information in British Aviation Squadron Markings of World War 1, the dumbell squadron marking was not issued until August of 1917. This was ordered changed to a 450mm white fuselage band from the tailplane leading edge forward on 25 September 1917

PKZ SE5a is painted for ACE James McCudden , score of 51 , without the band , which I have added to mine . Which now dates mine to after 25 Sept 1917.
The PKZ comes stock with the blue dumbells , which I carefully peeled off . and as I started to tape off to paint the white band , I saw that the tape was removeing the planes paint so I stopped with the tapeing , and went free hand .

Last edited by wattman; 08-11-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:26 PM
wattman

4 Early AM patrols , I am enjoying this plane , here it is at the park .

Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default The White Stripe

I like the stripe Watt! Looks different wouldn't you say? Marty
Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM
wattman

If you want a quick and easy Lewis gun drum mag for your SE5a , then you can from Tower Hobbies obtain a GPMA4014 machine gun Nieuport XI ep WW1 arf
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYRZ4&P=7

for $6.79 , the drum twists off so easy , and then affix / glue it upon your PKZ SE5a Lewis gun , it looks good . I glued a rod in the drum mag hole and drilled a hole in the gun and used glue to hold them together . Quick easy painless mod for the drum mag .

I know I know , it could be foam and paper , but I always change the battery out with the plane upside down on my knee , actually on the gun , while I fidget around with the battery in this larger plane

Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM
wattman

GREAT NEWS
Dave Eichstedt of Horizon Hobby posted this at another forum

Suffice to say there is a follow-up already planned for the SE5a that's well into development. If you like how the SE5a flies, then you should be thrilled with the next one

It is getting better for us WW1 biplane fans

A nice red Albatros maybe HA HA HA HA HA
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
HobbyJumper

That looks great. Amidst all of the proto detail HH takes credit for on this bird, why they shipped it without the drum will go down as one of the mysteries of the ages.

I suppose that the SE could be returning from a mission wherein the pilot used up all his ammunition and in desperation threw the empty drum at the enemy.

If you want a quick and easy Lewis gun drumeasy painless mod for the drum mag .
Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

GREAT NEWS
Dave Eichstedt of Horizon Hobby posted this at another forum

Suffice to say there is a follow-up already planned for the SE5a that's well into development. If you like how the SE5a flies, then you should be thrilled with the next one

It is getting better for us WW1 biplane fans

A nice red Albatros maybe HA HA HA HA HA
RED Albatros indeed! Marty
Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

What do you Parkzone SE-5a fliers say about this review? It's over at HorizonRCFlyers dot com, and among other things says
Beginner Airplane: Not really. Being an instructor I wouldn't want to train anyone with it. There's better models to learn on. I can think of better second airplanes too.
The mini-review just below the main interview says
Beginner Airplane: No, a good second plane. This is the second hardest PZ warbird to fly with the BF-109 being first.
I especially enjoyed the main review's
And I don't trust the fin and rudder attachment enough to try knifeedge.
Must be a darned capable plane if he's talking that way. You don't contemplate knife edge without confidence in how a plane flies.

They both loved the plane, by the way, and made no comment about it being too heavy. Sounds to me that it isn't an indoor floater type, but flies like a fighter should: not exactly trainer like. That's a lot different than a lot of WWI slow flier electrics on the market.

How to you like the Parkzone's more aggressive personality?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 PM
wolfewinde

Finally got to see one of these fly this morning. Pretty impressive. Probably have to put it on my wish list.

Wolfe

Quick Reply: ParkZone enters the fray! SE5a

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13963 seconds with 11 queries