Anybody tried a Wild Wing? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Anybody tried a Wild Wing?

Old 06-16-2006, 04:24 AM
jimw1956

Default Anybody tried a Wild Wing?

These are on sale for $29...any good?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 AM
redgiki

Umm, what kind of Wild Wing are you talking about? The Utah Flyers version that has been available in plan form for several years?
http://www.utahflyers.org/INST_ww.php

I don't know that UFO sells them, though, just the wing cores for $13 if you come pick them up or help cut them. Strictly non-profit.

Anyway, their version flies nicely. Built one, loved it, repeatedly crashed it, it kept coming back for more until I had an accident with a heat gun that pretty much ruined its flyability.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:57 PM
jimw1956

This one is sold by Hobbypeople...here is the link to it:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/160525.asp

I downloaded the manual pdf and it looks like a pretty good kit, but I don't know much about deltas so thought I would see if anyone was flying one.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:48 AM
max-nix
max-nix

Hi Jim
The Wild Wing from Hobby People is a good value. There are mods you should incorpoprate while building it to get it to fly well.

1. The motor thrust line must be a parallel to the bottom surface of the wing or a few degrees negative. This requires modifying the motor installation. (The unmodified mounting will cause a positive thrust line.)

2. Moving the CG forward from the point specified on the plans. The consensus is the CG should be between 7 3/8 & 7 1/2 inches measured back fhom the nose of the aircraft.

The original setup (positive thrust line & rearward CG) can cause the wing to be a handful with a tendency to dive, then zoom & stall from a launch, this has often given the Wild Wing a bad reputation. Correct these things while assembling and you will have a good flying wing when it is set up with proper control throws.
If you keep the wing light a BP 21 motor with a 3s lipo battery will fly it nicely.

Just mho.
Smasher Bob

Last edited by max-nix; 06-26-2006 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:03 AM
thomdoe

Jim, Hobby People have that wing on sale all the time for $18.00 to $19.00 It's a great wing for the sale price. Put a fast BL in it you can't have more fun. Keith
Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Epoxycup

Default Ww

Jim

I bought the Wild wing on sale $18.95 ,I think, last month.
It's not bad for the money but as mentioned the motor thrust line is way off. At a minimum you need to shim the back of the motor (prop side) up so the thrust line is pretty close to level with the bottom of the wing. This will appear that the motor is tilted downtoward the front, but that is what you want. Take a look at a Zagi sometime.
I used an extra carbon rod span wise and the two supplied rods near the front leading edge. I also used flat carbon at the trailing edge, not the supplied rods. Tape covering and ZAPaDAP to glue in the fins. Stock speed 400 motor and KAN1050 NiCd.
I have about three flights on it. First it is much faster than the Zagi and more sensitive. Flys around fine, did a few rolls, tends to be pretty pitch sensitive, more so than the Zagi. Very flat glid but much faster. This is a fun wing but not for a beginner. Well woth the 20 bucks.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:16 PM
midoco
slombat!

I had one for a while, but wasn't impressed. It's probably a good plane for the price, but I won't be getting another one.

midoco
Old 07-12-2006, 05:57 PM
tsuitt

Default wing

I have the hobby people one and with the bp 21 it is cheap and flys ok
I find it to be a good value for the money

Well I took a faster step and put a mega 16/15/3 It
is lots more fun. Had to set down the exp on my transmitter
to pull only 20 amps at full throttle. It is a hoot to fly
I just hope it will stay in one piece.

Last edited by tsuitt; 08-18-2006 at 12:54 AM. Reason: motor up grade
Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 PM
boberos

Default WildWing

My WW uses a 400XT with APC 8X6 TE prop & 3S 800 mah lipo. I find that a 8X4 prop does not load the motor enough. Weight is 15.5 oz.
Performance is great with this set up.
However I find that is is not the most stable A/C in +10 mph winds.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:29 AM
ptglass

Default Gws Hd 9x5

Stick a GWS HD 9X5 on the 400xt and it will cook!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 AM
thomdoe

My project is to mount an EDF on that wild wing
Old 11-05-2006, 10:32 PM
thejc

Smile

Look this up in RC groups ,lots of information.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Tireshred

I finished up my Wild Wing last night, I used a 400XT brushless (mounted on a block of dense foam and the thrust angle is parallel to the bottom of the wing, thanks for the heads up), GWS 25amp ESC, Polyquest 1500mah 3S battery and 8x6 prop. It pulls right at 10amps. The CG is right at 8", the manual calls for 8.5", I cut the battery slot and moved as far forward as possible, the only way to get to 7.5" is to add lead or use a 2100mah battery, I may do one or the other tonight. The other thing I didn't like was the clevis's didn't fit the threaded rods supplied, but what do you expect for $20? Maiden should be today.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
planekiller

just finished mine and hopefully the maiden is this weekend. i also found the pushrods didn't fit the supplied clevises but glue gun helped there the stock motor mount is useless and very weak.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Epoxycup

Default Maiden

Tireshred

Post your report on the maiden, sounds like it should go well . I can't remember if I mentioned I ash canned the ailerons with mine , one was way heavier than the other. I wanted it to be fairly lateraly balanced also.
I have since removed the brush motor and replaced it with a BP21 and 18 amp controller ($30). Very inexspensive set up but good improvment over the brushed . Great vertical . Good Luck.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Tireshred

Just got back from the park. I ended up with a CG of 8" and it worked fine with the thrust line I have, but I had to add 1.5ozs of lead in the nose to get there, AUW is 17.2ozs. As usual I didn't have enough up elevon dialed (I always THINK I have enough, but I should know better by now) and I couldn't get the nose up on the first launch (I use the "pizza box" toss with no power), it hit nose first, no damage. I dialed a bunch more up and threw again and off she went, I had to dial some down and right, but it flew better than I could've hoped! I flipped the dual rates on and cheese and rice, it would turn on a dime and give change, and loops were very tight (too tight) and the roll rate is better than a Stryker C. It's very predictable and the glide rate is good. I glued the bottom skid on, but it came off on the first landing, I won't use it again. Just as I was thinking of landing I had the rates on high and tried a snap roll, it went into a spiral I couldn't save so I cut power and let it hit. I thought I ripped an elevon off but it was the homemade motor mount that broke free, the motor was flopping side to side. There's no damage other than figuring a way to positively attach the mount to the wing (epoxy alone didn't work). I have a modded Mini Slinger and a brushless Zagi XT, but this thing is more fun to fly, looks cool, my guess is around 70mph and handled the wind (14mph) better than the Zagi and almost as good as the Mini Slinger. I'm still getting used to the covering, but it still flies very well with wrinkles!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ww1.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	27190   Click image for larger version

Name:	ww2.jpg
Views:	1285
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	27191   Click image for larger version

Name:	ww3.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	27192  
Old 03-29-2007, 02:28 AM
Epoxycup

Default Mount

Tireshred

Sounds like she flew great . I am posting some pics of my homemade L mount for my motor. It is ZAPADAPED on with some rtv type stuff but more stickey. Never have had it come off, but of course I land perfect all the time:p . Notice, I kind of notched in for the L bracket in the back of the wing, anything to get the weight a little more forward. I am still slightly tail heavey I think, as it gets real pitch sensitive at higher speeds. I got rid of the plastic motor mount and skid a long time ago, just extra plastic to haul around. I also use the Pizza box flip but power on and still hit the ground sometimes. Elevons on mine need quite a bit of reflex on launch then I dial back the trim right away . Thinking about a switch assignment for launch mode, it would be better .

Name:	bp tester 001small.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	27194   Click image for larger version

Name:	bp tester 002small.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	27195   Click image for larger version

Name:	bp tester 003small.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	27196  
Old 03-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Tireshred

Nice set up. What prop is that? I tried a 9x6, but it pulled 12 amps and the motor maxes out at 10amps according to H-L, I hate to go above rated anything, I always blow whatever I'm pushing. That block of foam looks heavy, but is very light. I ended up glueing it back on and then put 2 small screws in thru the bottom of the wing into the motor mount. The weight/CG didn't change, I guess removing the skid and adding the screws cancelled each other out.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Epoxycup

Default Ww

Tireshred

That's a GWS 7X6 prop. Size is about right maybe could go a little smaller though. Maybe 6X5? The bad is the GWS prop is to flexiable but is all I had until I can get some APC's. At WOT the prop sounds like it's cavetating , so probably not very efficient.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Tireshred

You must be turning a lot more RPM's than me, it looked like a GWS, I've tried those and they do deflect from what I could tell.

I took mine out today in 18mph winds, gusts at 24mph, I was confident it would fly if I could get it airborn, but I couldn't. The wind flipped it over at launch and this time the motor ripped away from the foam block, so I Gooped it back on and screwed it with longer screws and will try again on the way home. I may need to make an "L" bracket like you before it's all said and done. The wind should be the same and I'm really anxious to see how it does with that kind of wind.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Epoxycup

Default ??

Tireshred

I have ripped mine out a couple of times also. The BP-21 motor is 1750Kv, and I am useing a 3s PQ 1200 battery with 18amp controller. I have not checked the RPM though.
Flipped up? Maybe need a little more nose weight. With motor off and a calm day you should be able to push your WW from the back and sail out 20 feet or so in front of you straight and level. CG on wings is critical and very little changes alot. You should be able to glid it out in front of you a few feet though, I think you said you are about 17oz. and if I remember right, I am closer to 19oz, yours should glid a little better.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Tireshred

The wind flipped it over, I have little doubt. My flight on the way was WAY more successful, instead of tossing it, I motored up until I felt it pull forward and I just let it go, I measured sustained winds at 14mph and gusts to 20mph. The only problem I had was I broke the glue bond on one of the vert fins again getting it out of the truck, that's the worst design I've seen on a wing. It was leaning in towards the prop, I still flew but on hard turns it would hit the prop, it sliced it but is repairable. It flew well in the wind, I had fun. I could get it to hover for a bit, but a gust would stop that. How do you attach the vert fins?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:39 AM
UncleBob
Still Flying G3 ...

Tempting, but I should get down to 2 Strykers before I get one ......

I might be a wing addict. Is there a support group?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Tireshred

If there was one, I'd be in it.

I went to fly this evening and one of the cheap ESky servos was stripped, no flying. And then when replacing with a good one, I knocked off one of the vert fins AGAIN. I'm really getting irritated with those things.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Epoxycup

Default Fins

Tireshred

Hang in there . I used the ZapaDap like I did on the motor mount for my fins and only have had one come loose once . It's great stuff even cemented the parking light lens on my Son's civic back on with it.
Hey UncleBob $19.95 right now, how can you pass it up, just pass on a couple of work lunchons and it's yours, nice molded EPP, premade servo pockets and batt. compartment. You know you want it. Jeeez I should get a commision on these things .
Tireshred that's how I launch power on. Sounds like your useing pretty small servos, I am useing Hitek HS-81's and wish they were metel gear. But I am not sure but sounds like your servos are about HS-55 size is that right? Small servos = fine teeth = easy strip, dont eve ask how i finally became a gear change ace. By the way that pic is before getting rid of the stock motor mount.

Name:	Wild wing small.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	27258  

Last edited by Epoxycup; 03-30-2007 at 05:33 AM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Anybody tried a Wild Wing?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10346 seconds with 20 queries