Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Art tech Cessna 182

Old 09-29-2007, 11:47 PM
John Barber

Default Art tech Cessna 182

Hi,
does anyone have any experience and views on the model?

I am considering one as a first electric model.

All recomendations (good or bad) would be most welcome.

Regards,

John.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Leo L

Hi John,

Welcome to R/C flying!

Opinions are pretty much split on this plane (its also sold by ParkFlyers.com under their name). Some people love it, others hate it. Very few in-between. Almost everyone, from both sides of the coin, agrees on the following: 1) the plane is underpowered; 2) the plane, particularly the wing and landing gear, is very fragile; 3) the plane looks beautiful.

Many people have had problems with the electronics and have had to replace the transmitter and receiver. While there have been several flyers who learned to fly with it, for the most part, due to theplane being fragile and being 4-channel, this is not a good selection for a first plane. I bought the Art-Tech Cessna as my first R/C plane, but seeing how beautiful it was when I received it, I couldn't bear the thought of destroying it on my first flights. I waited for one year while a learned to fly with several other planes. When I finally tried to fly it, it was a disaster. I spent nine months, and an additional $300 to try to get it to fly properly, but it never flew well enough to keep. many owners of this plane have had similar bad experiences, yet there are as many others who absolutely love the plane.

Do yourself a favor and start out with the best beginner plane, the HobbyZone SuperCub or the Multiplex EasyStar. After you master the beginner plane, get a good aileron trainer like the Multiplex MiniMagistar (Minimag) or go for the Cessna.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
amakipkip
Un-proud South African

The Cessna is not a good first plane, my advice go for an Art-Tech Wing Dragon 4, it looks like Cr$p and when you crash it, it couldn't look any worse. LOL. It is a very nice trainer (WD4)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I've seen one fly. It looks great in the air! Very scale. It is good at flying around in big circles (just like a real Cessna), but not much else. It doesn't have enough power for aerobatics. Spare parts are difficult if not impossible to get. It's the kind of plane that a rank beginner would buy because it looks cool, and then crash it on their first or second flight. They would come to the conclusion that all electric planes suck and would never come back to the hobby again. On the other hand, if you already know how to fly, even if not well, and actually enjoy making lazy circles in the sky, then it's a nice plane.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:57 AM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Woops, sorry but I mis-read the title of the thread and thought it was about another makers Cessna 182.

So please forgive.
I thought it was about the ST-Model Cessna182, and I have no idea how I thought that.

But since Im here, I'll echo the others and say no it's not a good first plane, and that I sure wish the manufacturers would get off the C182 kick, and do some other GA planes like those of Piper's and Beechcraft.
The C182 is a popular GA aircraft, but Pipers are just as popular, if not more so. And it's a much better looking plane IMO.

Do as the others suggested, and get a proven training plane like the HZ Super Cub, AT Wingdragon or other well proven design.

Last edited by Sabrehawk; 11-19-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by Sabrehawk View Post
Say Doug, who has one? Where did ya see it fly, Honeydew?
Yep. Daniel has (or I think had) one. He didn't even know who made it, but it looked to be ArtTech by the battery hatch, which was identical to the one on my Corsair. ArtTech sometimes sells its planes under other brand names. I see BananaHobby is now selling a 2.4GHz version of the Mustang under the name BlitzRC (or something like that). Anyway, the Cessna flew nice on a 2 cell lipo. Sure, you can loop or roll just about any plane, but it wasn't really powered for it any more than the real one is.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by Sabrehawk View Post
Woops, sorry but I mis-read the title of the thread and thought it was about another makers Cessna 182.

So please forgive.
I thought it was about the ST-Model Cessna182, and I have no idea how I thought that.

But since Im here, I'll echo the others and say no it's not a good first plane, and that I sure wish the manufacturers would get off the C182 kick, and do some other GA planes like those of Piper's and Beechcraft.
The C182 is a popular GA aircraft, but Pipers are just as popular, if not more so. And it's a much better looking plane IMO.

Do as the others suggested, and get a proven training plane like the HZ Super Cub, AT Wingdragon or other well proven design.
Ah, the ole post switcheroo! Very tricky

I just went and looked at the Cessnas at Hobbycity. I do like that one with the flaps and lights! And they have another one made by Skyartec (whoever that is). Neither of those is the one I've seen. And for that matter, I'm not even 100% certain that the one I saw was even ArtTech. Pretty sure though.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Yeah that one with flaps & lights is awesome. And yep, they have one made by "Skyartec" but it isnt Art Tech of course. I dont like it either, especially when they are obviously trying to look like Art Tech with their name and that offends me.
Why not come up with your own name instead of trying to mimmic another? I mean it's not like we cant read, or tell the difference and such things like this seems to be insulting my intelligence.

Still, I dont think even the Art tech one is well suited for a first time pilot.
In fact none of the Cessna models out there are IMO. For none of them have enough dihedral in their wings to have the lateral stability needed for the beginner. The Flyzone C182 being the worst of the bunch. I watched helplessly as a guy crashed one of the Flyzone Cessnas at Ron Regis Park three times in a row and destroyed it on the third crash.
My Art Tech Decathalon has more dihedral than any of them, and even the full scale C182 has more than these models of the Cessnas do.

In fact IMO Art Tech's Decathalon is far more suited for a beginner than any of the Cessnas out there. It's a very smooth and stable aircraft, and can grow with the beginner as he gains experience and give him some nice aerobatic performance fun. And it's about the same price as HZ's Super Cub, and it comes fully equipped with radio and all.
It too can be found at Parkflyers.com and I think it's price is at $159.
http://parkflyers.com/html/decathalon.html

Yes, and again sorry for my brain fart and the edited post, but once i realized my error the post made no sense so I had to.