RC Lander 70mm F9F Panther thread - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

RC Lander 70mm F9F Panther thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
miket

Nothing to it. About 50 bucks in parts. If you need any help let me know. I found a few old treads on some that guys have built then modified it to suit my needs . I will admit I (overkilled) mine but that's just my style. Mike
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
miket

Here's some pictures of yesterdays test on the launcher. I'm going to get rid of the foam on the rails and lengthen them another foot. Worked well for the first test. 4 great fights. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Another Day at Danny's 017.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	91045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Another Day at Danny's 016.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	91046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Another Day at Danny's 021.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	91047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Another Day at Danny's 020.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	91048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Another Day at Danny's 019.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	91049  

Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

The correct nose cone and paint arrived this week so hopefully I'll get it finished up this weekend. I've kind of lost interest in this one for a while and it's just been sitting. Now I'm ready to get back on it.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

We was wondering what happened to you and the plane Tom. Good luck with that maiden!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks Don.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

A little touching up around the wheel wells and attach the battery strap and she's ready to maiden.

Name:	DSC04334.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	94931   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04335.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	94932  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Wow, thanks for the link on those FlightMax batteries. I love how the cost of electric flying just keeps getting more and more affordable! I was a little surprised at how cheap they were. I've got Zippy Rhino 4S 2350mah 25C packs, and they all ran $40 each. Even the same packs in 20C are $33. I would have loved to have gotten FlightMax's 20C's for $15 cheaper a pop, though I still need the 25C for some JS-1400 and Wemo setups. Still would be nice to get three 20C Flightmax's for less than the cost of two Rhino 25C's. Be great for the 1 pack Alfa's and 64mm EDF's.

I don't see any 2200mah 4S Flightmax's with 25C ratings, but I did see this Flightmax 4S 5000mah 25C pack .... only $65!! I paid $80 for my two Rhino's, and they only give me 4700mah in parallel.

Anywho ... enough marvelling over the cheapness of batteries and slight tinges of buyer's remorse for buying seven freakin' Rhino packs. lol. At least I can still split them up! You know you REALLY have a problem when you own ten 4S batteries, yet you've never once flew a plane on 4S.

Tom, I hope the maiden goes splendidly. If you get a wingman or a second outing, I'd love to see some pics!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

The Jury is still out on the Flight Max packs. gr8taznitro and I went together and ordered 4 each. He had a cell crap out on one of his during the first flight. He wasn't working it too hard either. I hope it was a fluke.

Your 4S packs are going to go stale. Send them to me now before it's too late. Oh, and throw in a P-38, the HYperion P-51 and any other plane you never fly.......oh, that would be 99% of them.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

I only let them sit because I don't want to scuff them up! Back in the fall, I had four crashes out of my last five planes. F-16 went nose in (elevator reversed), F-18 pancaked (bad launch), Alfa F-86 cartwheeled over the sidewalk and into the road (I'm too stupid to listen when people are saying, "Hey, you're running out of grass to put her down"), Hyperion P-51 smacked the curb and bent the struts like crazy (who knew you couldn't make a plane drift like a race car?).

So I got a little gun shy in the late fall, and I've only flown the P-47, Sea Fury and rebuilt S.E.5a since (the ones I ripped the wings off at SEFF ... you were right, it WAS fixable. ). But that Sea Fury sure is a joy!

As soon as I get new struts, that P-51 will go back up. A little covering scuffed through or not, it's still the best looking plane I own.

You know, I seem to recall you stealing my DX7 charger for a couple of weeks. I think letting me steal that Panther for a day or two is only fair.

How's the weather looking for you through the rest of the week? Think you'll get a flight in?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

OK, so I stole your charger. I would have kept it too if I had known I was going to buy a DX7 and need a charger for it. I didn't use it so it's only fair you can't use the Panther any way. Besides, you wouldn't like it. That aluminum fan unit sounds too real.

Weather's not looking good here. Cold front coming through right now. It's dropping from a high of 73 today to a high 37 on Saturday and a chance of flurries. Windy as all get out right now as well.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Poweredge
www.PowerEdgeRC.com

My Panther is 3/4 done, I just need to finish up the wing and mount it.

I ran up the fan unit using 2 different 4S packs. The first one was my 4S 4800 PowerEdge 30C pack and the watt meter peaked at 860 watts and 55 amps. The 4S 2200 peaked at 780 watts and 50 amps.

I may run a 3S pack for the first flight as the wattage is incredible for such a small plane. The manual indicates a 4S, but I think I have the smaller fan unit.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Which version did you get?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Poweredge
www.PowerEdgeRC.com

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Which version did you get?
Blue & Silver color scheme, no servo's, and the retracts are installed but I pulled them out and will hand launch. I have to check but I think the motor is the 3900 KV version.

I have a Berg 7 channel rx on order and when that comes in I will finish up the aileron servo installation and mount the wing. all that is left would be the linkage to setup and balance.

Depending on how the CG is will determine the battery. Either a 4S 2200, 2 4S 2200's in parallel or a 4S 4800.

CC Phoenix 60 ESC, Futaba S3114's on elevator & rudder and the digital versions of the S3114's on the ailerons.

No flaps, no retracts. should be light (depending on the battery).
Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Sounds good. Mine came with the retracts and flaps installed. I removed the retracts as well but left the flaps. I didn't order it with flaps but for some reason they were already in it. From what I've read, you don't really need them anyway. I've got more time in this ARF than I do in a lot of the kits I've built.

When they installed the gear doors, they butchered it up. I took the gear doors off, filled in the retract bays and areas around the wheel wells with foam and covered it with silk and wbpu. I left the wheel wells for hand launching. I'm going to glue the main gear doors on it before it's painted, but leave the small doors off so you can still get your fingers in the wheel wells for hand launching. Here's a picture of the wheel wells after filling and silk. The last picture shows the main door laid in place. It will be glued down so it doesn't catch grass on landings.

Next is to airbrush, put the gear doors back on then it's ready.

Name:	DSC04344.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	95167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04345.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	95168   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04346.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	95169  
Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Poweredge
www.PowerEdgeRC.com

Tom, how are the batteries that you are running? How many watts are you putting to the motor?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

It's been a while since I've run it up but I think I was getting around 780 watts and 47 amps. I'll have to check it again and let you know. I haven't flown it yet so I don't know how these batteries will do.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

How were the gear doors butchered up, exactly? If I ever get around to ordering one, I sure don't want to pay for gear doors and have them show up all goofy.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

If you look at the pictures in post #64, you can see the white foam I added all around the wheel wells. All that area was cut out for the gear doors. It looks like who ever made the cut outs for the doors used a butter knife. They were very uneven and the gear doors didn't cover the openings when they were closed. I'm sure if you use the 50/50 rule (50 feet away or 50 mph) they looked alright but I didn't like them. Since I removed the gear and covers, it was even more visable.

I tried to order mine without the retracts, but at the time, they didn't offer it that way. so I knew I was in for a little work.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 AM
gr8taz nitro
electric?? are you sure??

It looks pretty good Tom, it's a shame the idea for making the covers split and snap back closed after launch was too much trouble to do, but then again the way you did it will work pretty good and it does follow the KISS principle.

BTW for anyone needing testimony for the Grasshopper powerframe and maintenance company just ask me. He did a repair and glassed the bottom of the airframe and had it done in a night. Just don't ask about the union pricing for afterhours weekend rates. It's a good thing he takes greenstamps in lou of cash.
Thanks again Tom.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks Roy,

Now we just need some good weather to fly all of our unmaidened planes. Hope we don't get tennis elbow from all the hand launching.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 AM
gr8taz nitro
electric?? are you sure??

Wednesday says 62 and winds down the runway out of the south. I could tow the panther up with the katana. Wouldn't that be a sight, the jet being towed by the aerobatic prop plane. LOL No worries about tennis elbow that way.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks, but I really don't care to get slime all over my new jet.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 AM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

The Panther would have to be one of the best ARF jets to come out in 2008. I have built 4 of them so far and average build time for HL version is 5-6 hours. They build quickly and easily, so far no aileron trim required on any of the maidens.

The factory 4 cell power system is the best option in this battery size, produces around 8-900 watts on a 4000mah 4s1p 25c pack and pushes the Panther to 100+mph level flight. Motor is tough, my personal plane has had over 50 flights on it and no issue with motor heat or performance. I fly it WOT most of the time, it pulls around 54 amps at 15 volts under load using our ELITE4000mah 4s1p 25c packs.

It will land heavy if you are not careful and while it usually wont damage anything in the H version I wouldnt want to land heavy on the belly if the gear doors are on there.

For covering the servo wiring etc underneath I would go to a sign writer and get some scrap oracover vinyl, I got silver and blue and ran an 80mm wide strip fron nose to cheater entrance, and another strip across the fan cover. Has protected the underneath very well and covers up the front wheel well at the same time. I cut thinner strips and covered all the servo wiring, sticks to the factory paint real good and the colours match almost perfectly.

Fitting the fan: You need to line the fan up and press down to mark the foam for where the fan housing ridge sits, then cut out the foam on both the fuse and the fan cover to match with the ridge running round the fan housing.
Fit the fan with the thin double sided tape, the stuff that is just glue, like they use for carpets and drapes, just the half that goes into the fuselage, not the cover! This is all you need to secure the fan permanently, 4 builds all the same and no issues!

Video of my panther
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVK54GBzqg&eurl=http://www.extremerc.com.au/Panther.htm[/media]
Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks for the tips Extreme. I never thought about graphics vinyl for covering the servo wires. I'll have to look through my stash to see if my red is a close match. I'd really rather not have to cover it with something else then paint if I don't have to.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Poweredge
www.PowerEdgeRC.com

Can some one post their aileron and elevator throws? The manual has quite a range from 10-18mm. 18mm seems a bit high for the elevator. Thanks.

Quick Reply: RC Lander 70mm F9F Panther thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17271 seconds with 23 queries