A great day! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

A great day!

Old 04-22-2006, 04:47 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default A great day!

Well the wife is doing better, or maybe delirious, She says to me this morning why don't you go fly...

So off we go, me and my boy. All week it was beautiful while I sat in that hospital worrying. Today it's windy, rainy and just generally yucky But we had a blast. You'd a thought is was sunny and 80 with absolutely no wind. I guess perception is everything.

My son flew his cub first, He kept it low and well below the treeline to stay out of the wind. He is really getting the hang of this flying stuff. I even have a hard time flying that feather in the wind... but he is doing great.

Got the Beaver out next and was relly cooking with it, well as much as a beaver can cook anyway. As Bill G said in another thread the wings were going "fdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdf". I really need to find a way of shoring up that wing somehow.

Then we brought out the E-flite Cessna. That's about the time the winds were really picking up... should have left it in the truck and came home but hey, I wasn't getting that wet and it really wasn't that windy I didn't think the really heavy stuff was going to come down for a while yet!

Anyway it flew well, it was a handful but it was fun. i was getting ready to put her down and it got really gusty, the wind grabbed it and took it into the treeline She kind of dissapeared from view but it looked it was going in at a pretty good angle so we go get it... It was hurt bad at all. Pulled the main gear off and put a good dent in the leading edge of the wing but other that that she was fine.

All in all a good day.

Last edited by firemanbill; 04-22-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Twmaster

It's cold and wet here around good ol' river city (That's DC). The good news is that I am motivated to get some more work done on a nitro to E-power conversion. Much is getting done. Epoxy is setting as I type this even!

I'm hoping to have a couple/three new planes ready for the next nice weekend. It's utter hell being an RC plane addict!

:p
Old 04-22-2006, 05:46 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well it not cold, actually quite warm but it's windy and wet here. Still had a pretty good day though.

it shouldn't be long and you'll be getting good weather up your way.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

I had a good weekend fixing planes too. It's been very windy, and gusty, at that.

I found the source of the battery problem in my Overlord; need to order a new LiPo for it.
I fixed the landing gear and stripped aileron servos in my Ultimate
Replaced the spinner of the Focke Wulf (now it's got gear problems; I think the pinion came off..)

I snuck in a couple hours of flying, and my wife graciously came along and shot video & pictures for me.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
For me it's been a mixed weekend. I crashed my Mini Edge 540 today. I was doing flat spins and couldn't get the motor to spin up to get out of it.
Cracked cowel, cracked fuse, bent wing rod, and a munchedc wingtip. Not too bad considering...

On the other hand, my Twin Star II is flying great, really wowing the folks at the E-field. And with the strongish southwest winds our better slope is kicking hard, I got to wring out my Lead Sled and managed some very good slope combat with my Zagi 5-C. Many good hits and few crashes.
I even managed to covert a hard core power pilot to slope, he'll be out next weekend bashing with the rest of us...
A-yup, all in all a good weekend, even if I did mangle three models in total over the weekend, cest` la poo poo...
RobII