Who's got Flying Weather? - Page 288 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Who's got Flying Weather?

Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 PM
  #7176  
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 5,019
Default

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Thanks. It does pretty well considering the five foot wingspan.
That was some great flying ! 5 ft WS? Holey Moley Looked like you snuck through some pretty tight spots. Great job !
dahawk is offline  
Old 08-16-2017, 04:40 PM
  #7177  
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 5,019
Default

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Thanks guys. I've never turned the camera around backwards on my wing before but those birds kept dive-bombing it so I thought I'd try to get some footage.
Awesome. We get them here in North Texas too. Must be migratory. They are a curious lot and not afraid of anything.
dahawk is offline  
Old 08-17-2017, 02:42 AM
  #7178  
mclarkson
Super Contributor
 
mclarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,958
Default

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
That was some great flying ! 5 ft WS? Holey Moley Looked like you snuck through some pretty tight spots. Great job !
Thank you, sir.

mclarkson is offline  
Old 08-17-2017, 07:06 PM
  #7179  
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 5,019
Default

Squawking 1200 here today. Think I'll go out and fly later
dahawk is offline  
Old 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM
  #7180  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default Flying Weather

Good flying weather here lately! Ben getting in some good ones each morning.
3 yesterday and 2 this morning.
Temps not too bad, on the cool side for this time of year but ok.
Wind 1or2mph.
Just the way i like it for my lite planes.
Have a good one!
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 08-27-2017, 06:31 PM
  #7181  
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 5,019
Default

Flew yesterday but today we're getting big rain bands from Harvey. So grounded. Really feel bad for my Fellow Texans along the Gulf Coast. Prayers out to them . The storm has caused enormous damage both from wind and flooding. And it's not over. Some places around Houston will see over 50" of rain before it finally goes offshore late next week. Houston is low lying and has never handled high water very well. 3- 5" causes local flooding.This one is the worst of all time. Biblical.

From where it went onshore near Rockport North of Corpus Christi to Houston is over 200 miles. San Antonio to the West is another 200 miles away. I'm about a 4.5 hour drive up here in N. Texas , some 300 miles. About every 1/2 hour or so, a rain band comes through and Man, it pours ! We call it a " Frog Strangler"

Initial damage estimate is around USD $ 40 Billion with a capital B. This is worse than Katrina or Andrew which is hard to comprehend.
dahawk is offline  
Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 PM
  #7182  
mclarkson
Super Contributor
 
mclarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,958
Default

We've had a run of unreasonably calm days here but I haven't gotten to fly as much as I'd have liked. Today, though, I took my 60" scratch-built glider down to a nearby schoolyard and put her up there. Some birds appeared, circling, and I joined them in their thermal. Now, usually, in Kansas when you see some birds circling in a thermal, that thermal is blowing downwind at 10-15MPH but, today, it was barely moving at all and I put the plane way up there in a nice, gentle ride, until I couldn't tell if I'd lost control or not.

I shoved the nose all the way forward, though, and down she came so I circled slowly back down to the ground. Uncharacteristically, I didn't have a camera mounted - I wanted to keep the plane light today - so I don't have any video or any real idea how long it was up there but this was definitely one of the best thermal rides I've ever had.

mclarkson is offline  
Old 08-28-2017, 12:31 AM
  #7183  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Flew yesterday but today we're getting big rain bands from Harvey. So grounded. Really feel bad for my Fellow Texans along the Gulf Coast. Prayers out to them . The storm has caused enormous damage both from wind and flooding. And it's not over. Some places around Houston will see over 50" of rain before it finally goes offshore late next week. Houston is low lying and has never handled high water very well. 3- 5" causes local flooding.This one is the worst of all time. Biblical.

From where it went onshore near Rockport North of Corpus Christi to Houston is over 200 miles. San Antonio to the West is another 200 miles away. I'm about a 4.5 hour drive up here in N. Texas , some 300 miles. About every 1/2 hour or so, a rain band comes through and Man, it pours ! We call it a " Frog Strangler"

Initial damage estimate is around USD $ 40 Billion with a capital B. This is worse than Katrina or Andrew which is hard to comprehend.
Well i feel Blessed compared to the folks down there Hawk and of course
Prayers to them and all the Victims of the disasters.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 08-28-2017, 04:05 AM
  #7184  
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF
 
Wildflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lacey WA, 1 mile E of Mushroom Corner
Posts: 2,081
Default

I saw a comment on TV, they estimate 1.5 Billion Tons of rain fell in the Houston area.
Wildflyer is offline  
Old 08-28-2017, 05:34 PM
  #7185  
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 5,019
Default

9 trillion gals and still counting. Hard to fathom. We got a few sporadic outer bands up here in DFW and it poured cats and dogs intermittently. Can't even begin to imagine if this was constant.
dahawk is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 PM
  #7186  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default Flying Weather

Speaking of Flying weather, it has been great here lately and i am flying something every morning. This morning the Ultimate Bipe and the Infineon.
Supposed to be up to 90deg. this afternoon here. It is 61 now so i am running
the attic fan and bringing in the cool air.
Cheers everyone, good flyin to ya!
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 07:27 PM
  #7187  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

Another fly morning here and one quick flight with the Infineon#1
Possibly might do a maiden tomorrow morning.
Just finished a Tigermoth 40inch wingspan.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 09-30-2017, 01:21 PM
  #7188  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default Flying Weather

Cool this morning only 30deg. out but no wind.
Flew the TigerMoth again and no issues.
Landing was good in the frosty grass.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 10-04-2017, 02:27 PM
  #7189  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

Rain and wind this morning prevents my flying.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 10-09-2017, 11:17 AM
  #7190  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default Flying Weather

Wind 1mph
Temp 57
Looks like i got flying weather this morning.
Guess this will be a good morning to fly the new P-51 SlowStang.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 10-29-2017, 12:32 PM
  #7191  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default Flying Weather

Wind 2mph.
Temp 27deg.
Looks like i might have some flying weather this morning.
I will need a Tx Mitt though.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 12:45 PM
  #7192  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default Flying Weather

Rain and Snow mix this morning.
Looks like a no fly morning.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 10-31-2017, 11:10 AM
  #7193  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

Another no fly morning folks!
More Snow and rain today.
Wind is up also.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 04:27 PM
  #7194  
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 81
Default

Dude. Doooode. Here in Wheaton (40 klicks west of Lake Michigan) we get wind. Yesterday wasn't as bad as Monday, which was like a gale. I gotta go outside and fly in the front yard whenever it dies down to a howl.
Some Useless Geek is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 06:45 PM
  #7195  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

Originally Posted by Some Useless Geek View Post
Dude. Doooode. Here in Wheaton (40 klicks west of Lake Michigan) we get wind. Yesterday wasn't as bad as Monday, which was like a gale. I gotta go outside and fly in the front yard whenever it dies down to a howl.
Good luck Geek and good flyin to ya!
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 PM
  #7196  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default Flying Weather

Wind 2mph.
Temp 6deg.
Snow on the ground this morning.
I still might fly something.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:45 PM
  #7197  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,441
Default

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
Wind 2mph.
Temp 6deg.
Snow on the ground this morning.
I still might fly something.
Crash
Is that 6C or 6F ??

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
  #7198  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Is that 6C or 6F ??

Nigel
6deg. F
How ya doin Nigel?
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
  #7199  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,441
Default

Blimey ... 6F !!

We are in Autumn and it stinks !! Wet, windy, temps hovering in the 3 - 7C range ...

I get an odd quickie flight in when suns going down and wind abates for a few minutes - I rush across road and fly the MIG29. Otherwise its work ... work ... work ....

Have the off-road car of course but that also gets hit by wet weather and a real B to clean after !

Our Club is getting into Indoor Flying ... so I may sort out for that ... but it means a bit of a drive each time.

Cheers and KEEP WARM .. or at least your LiPo's !

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:29 PM
  #7200  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Blimey ... 6F !!

We are in Autumn and it stinks !! Wet, windy, temps hovering in the 3 - 7C range ...

I get an odd quickie flight in when suns going down and wind abates for a few minutes - I rush across road and fly the MIG29. Otherwise its work ... work ... work ....

Have the off-road car of course but that also gets hit by wet weather and a real B to clean after !

Our Club is getting into Indoor Flying ... so I may sort out for that ... but it means a bit of a drive each time.

Cheers and KEEP WARM .. or at least your LiPo's !

Nigel
Thanks Nigel i will try to do that.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  

Quick Reply: Who's got Flying Weather?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10854 seconds with 13 queries