What sort of electrics are we flying, folks? - Page 15 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

What sort of electrics are we flying, folks?

Old 11-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Rittenflyer
Florida Flyer

GWS P-51d...love it with a BP 12 installed.

GWS B2...good scale flight but begging for brushless power, waiting a test flight to see if performance is boosted with new plastic thrust cones.

Scratch built composite and coroplast EDF with 25" span, Wattage PowerFan upgraded to Eflite Park 400 brushless-top speed is about 70mph.

Scratch built aluminum channel "stick" canard pusher.

Currently working on a scratch built P-40 in carbon/fiberglass composite with balsa sheeted foam-core wings-will mount a park 400 outrunner on this one. Several other planes are currently in mothballs or on the design table.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Rittenflyer
Florida Flyer

I'm getting 20 minutes of flight time on some of my planes. I've never been a gasser but I suspect that very few gas planes can carry enough fuel to stay in the air that long. Am I wrong? Big planes would definately cost more, especially with all the cells needed. I like small electrics because a guy can have several models ready to fly when he heads to the park on Saturday morning but still pay his mortgage.

Sean
Old 11-30-2005, 01:09 AM
fasted623
Gonna Crash Anyway

Brand new to the hobby. Walked into my local hobby shop last Monday afternoon. Decided to buy a GWS Slow Stick. At checkout I was told I was his 1000th customer and they were giving away the very plane I was buying. Too cool! Completed it in two nights after work. First time I tried to fly we had gust up to 29 mph. Just a skose windy for a light plane with a lot of wing. A friend came over with his electrics on Sunday. I had a really long flight and did a loop. I let it get a little too far from me. When I tried to set it down I smacked a burm and bent the pee waddlin toodle out of the frame and broke half the prop off. Another visit to the hobby store for repair parts and it is ready to fly again. It snowed yesterday and rained today. I guess winter happens. I absolutely love it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
savydad

I have a hobbico superstar ep, modded with endo motor, and IB3600 7cells. I also have a foamie, called the blu-beagle, designed by Gene Bond on rcg, using a j250. My niece has a slowstick 300, and my daughter shares the blu-beagle and slowstick. Happy times with my niece and daughter this spring!

Todd
Old 12-02-2005, 03:52 AM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

Currently my 'top' price point is about 500 Watts . Mostly like to fly planes in the 200-300 watt range though because I get to fly more. This gives me lots of flexability and many flights as most of these planes will easily fly on 3S1P battery packs.... With my Cap I have to go to 3S2P packs. Right now I don't have compatible 3S1P packs so the Cap is a hanger queen right now.

So what am I currently flying?

SA Cap 232 40E
HOB 52" Acrocub (right now on skis for winter flying)
Jitterbug Bipe
MM MiniFlash

Weasel Pro for the slope

SA Groove #2 is being built... Almost ready to cover...

Have several planes waiting to be built, MM E-Tana, Gambler DLG, HOB .20 P-51 are a few of them. All Balsa kits, all EP ...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Nice collection rclark. I'm with you on the price point and class of plane. Better to have several to fly than one really big expensive one. I keep waiting for Stevens to put that Groove on sale so I can finally pry my wallet open and get one.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Bigfoot21075

Originally Posted by Rittenflyer View Post
I'm getting 20 minutes of flight time on some of my planes. I've never been a gasser but I suspect that very few gas planes can carry enough fuel to stay in the air that long. Am I wrong? Big planes would definately cost more, especially with all the cells needed. I like small electrics because a guy can have several models ready to fly when he heads to the park on Saturday morning but still pay his mortgage.

Sean
Many gas planes can fly an hour or more on a tank. BUT you have to drain the unused out of the tank after each use and it really is a heck of a mess. Also, with gas there is a lot more time invested at the field getting ready to fly where with e you just plug the batt in do a quick check and you are off. I am finding 15 to 20 min is fine for me for flight time each charge
Old 12-02-2005, 02:45 PM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Recorded many 20+ minute flights with 4 ounce tanks on 15s, and 8 ounce on 40s and 45s. Electric? With multiple battery packs I can fly relatively continuously, but if the pack has to be recharged in the plane, then there is a long cool-down time before plugging into my field recharger, then the time , 15 to 20 minutes at C-3. The time I spend flying is often less with electric than with fuel. Land, retrieve plane, refuel, and in no more than 5 minutes, I'm back in the air. Swapping packs is a bit more time consuming, and a lot more work than the refuelling process. I'll continue to fly fuellers along with the electrics as long as fuel is available.
I don't put down anybody's choice of propulsion. I only put down those who try to say that only the method they use is right, and anybody else is full of bovine based organic fertilizer. Those are the despicable ones. The ones to ignore and put down.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Bigfoot21075

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
I don't put down anybody's choice of propulsion. I only put down those who try to say that only the method they use is right, and anybody else is full of bovine based organic fertilizer. Those are the despicable ones. The ones to ignore and put down.
Whew - ever think about changing to decaff? :p
Old 12-02-2005, 04:31 PM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

No, but I have cut back to aboput 1.5 cups of full strength per day!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:19 PM
rclark

Better to have several to fly than one really big expensive one
I totally agree. My Cap will get pulled out for 'special' occasions . After the Groove, my next build will be the Wright Brothers Gambler DLG because that looks like a lot of fun off and on the slope or in a park ... plus get lots of inexpenvive flying time (an $7 battery for an hour or so of flying) . One of the DLG flyers in the area says it's a lot like fishing ... fishing for thermals and it gets addictive . I'd also like to pick up the SA Edge 540 but that will have to wait awhile. The HOB P-51 is also calling ... or maybe that new FW-190 from Laser Arts that is coming out early next year .... Argggh ... What I like about this hobby ... so many different kits to build, things to try, and skills to learn :o .
Old 12-03-2005, 02:35 AM
jrb

Two 6 pack & more!

A very good solution uses 3 flight packs of Rs!

Thatís is three NiXx packs to fly your sport plane; and then other ef-planes to fill your other desires.

For example I have 3+ flight packs of twelve cells to fly me American Flyer (3 x two six packs: http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4485 ) that keep my thumbs active and my interest via sport aeros; and then a couple of other planes that indulge and expanded my interest (large warbirds, large scale aeros, EDF, etc.): http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showgall...500&ppuser=497 .

Before my AMF I did it with a Zagi.

Three Rís lets you: fly, cool, and re-charge for nearly continuous flying of something; while, enjoying something else as well.

With winter approaching the advantages of electric flight are even more!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CubWskis.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	4287   Click image for larger version

Name:	MarksCubWskis.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	4288  
Old 12-05-2005, 05:06 AM
rclark

Yes, I did just that when I flew with round cells. Worked well. Had around 10 packs or so and flew all morning. However with LiPo, I've gotton lazy and don't take the Charger(s) to the field anymore . So fly my 4-6 flights and all done. This normally equates to a hour of actual flying time and with 'visiting' and watching others fly, probably spend around two hours at the field ..... Plenty for me. Sometimes I will bring the charger and fly, say the 'Funky Chicken', for a few round cell flights for something different ...

Here is some winter flying pictures from last year. Have around 15 flights so far this year.... Looking good for more ski flying these next few months....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CubOnSkisFlying2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	4321   Click image for larger version

Name:	CubOnSkisFlying3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	4322   Click image for larger version

Name:	CubOnSkisFlyingPretty2_1000.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	4323   Click image for larger version

Name:	CubOnSkisLanding.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	4324  
Old 01-24-2006, 10:32 PM
rocketman1

Default Flying Scale

Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Yes, buzzbomber, thank you, impressive in the air & impressively simple to operate like all electrics, just flick a switch & go, just like the toaster! I thought it would start the scale guys rushing out to buy electric stuff once they saw how easy & reliable it all is but most of these guys are in god's waiting room & are too old to try anything new. I guess we are the 'next generation' LOL - John.
Boomerang: I like to fly scale models, I'm in the last parts of my Boeing 80 A trimotor build for electric motors, is taking three Groupners Turbo 700's brushed
motors, four series Li-Po battery and a 50 Amp ESC. This is a light frame trimotor, comparing with my Boeing 80 A with one engine and two freehweeling
props I flew in the past.
I have a Spectra motorglider with a Jeti 15/30 and 3S Li-Po battery for trainning
purposes.
Rocketman 1
Old 01-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Default http://media.putfile.com/Flying-in-NC

Revised

Current
1. Littlebirdz G-Nat
2. PCW - EdgeRC
3. Plan built PA-18 Cub (FlyRC plans)
4. Pitts Bipe (Aerolabs short kit)
5. Molt Models Tyro
6. G-Nat LS special wind
7. E-Flite Mini Ultra Stick
In the build queue
1. Twinkle water plane
2. 28" Slofly wing 250

Video of a few of my toys along with my brothers
http://media.putfile.com/Flying-in-NC
Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Gaspasser

Default Why fly electric

To Magoo
That's not 1 flight of 6 minutes but 4 flights of six minutes or a total of 24 minutes which never usually ends up using more than half the available battery charge . Six minutes flights are to keep the motor and batteries cool . I've flown my electric planes for over 40 minutes total .Yes they're expensive but I use batteries (Li Po"s ) I've had for 2 to 3 years and they work perfectly if you take care of them . Soooo ,,,,.You get better performance without the hassle of starting a glow engine,no smell, and no noise ,but most of all when in a low hoover they won't STALL like gas motors will .. Jeff
Old 01-27-2006, 03:43 AM
Loone
Duck for member...

Well I guess better late to the party than never...

Currently flyable:

SIG Kadet Senior Arf -AXI 4130-16 6s2p
Graupner Extra Arf - AXI 4130-16 6s2p
Cermark Breeze II Sailplane Cyclon Elite 10 3s2p
E Flite Ascent - Mega 16/15/4 3s1p
PA Katana Mini - Extreme Flight Torque 2818-900 3s1p

on the bench:

GP Electricub
Aerolock Pitts
EFlite Ascent Warmliner

RIP:

Graupner Extra
Wattage Giles
Wattage Giles
Fliton Flubber
E Flite Ascent
Old 01-27-2006, 02:51 PM
aarcon
aarcon

Loone: Your Kadet Sr. must jump off the ground!!!! I have been flying my converted K sr. for two years now on AXI 28/26/12 annd 3s2p Lipo batteries, with a 14x6 prop. Not overpowered, but sufficient to maintain altitude at 2/3 throttle. Bob Constance
Old 01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Loone
Duck for member...

Thanks Bob,

I do have fun with it!
She has a 4130-16 CC Phoenix 80 apce 18-10 prop converted to taildragger.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:24 PM
jobu

Check out nastytoesaviation.com
Some good ideas and parts for someone interested in getting creative with their own designs.
On my third "semi-scratch" build.
Joe
Old 02-02-2006, 12:07 AM
aarcon
aarcon

Originally Posted by Loone View Post
Thanks Bob,

I do have fun with it!
She has a 4130-16 CC Phoenix 80 apce 18-10 prop converted to taildragger.
MHOWELL: Another one of my larger electrics can be seen in the March issue of Quiet Flyer, page 50--In Focus. Self explanitory. Bob
Old 02-02-2006, 04:49 AM
larrypaul
larrypaul

I want to thank all for the posts that I read, especialy for large watt aircraft,

Converted the following gas planes to Electric very succesfully......

My 6 Pound Eindecker w/E Flyte new 46 brushless, Polyquest 4 cell 4600 14v. lipo, 60watt S/C from Balsa Prod.

My Giles 202 4.5 Pd. w/ balsa Prod. new 4-5 cell brushless @69.95 W/60 Amp S/C also from Balsa Prod. using 4 cell polyquest Lipos

My Limbo dancer which 3.5 lbs. using Balsa Prod. new 11volt brushless @59.95 W/Tanic 3 cell 2800 lipos, 60 amp BP. S/C.

All look good, but maybe will be shuffling motors around, to best finalize which will be best for each aircraft.....
Old 02-02-2006, 05:16 AM
larrypaul
larrypaul

In the old days of electrical flight, fuses were used to protect models from short circuits, I am looking into this again for our brushless motors, to save Lipos from shorts upon impact, and as well to arm circuits, saving assembly time at flight line, will research this, unless their is already some info out their, the only difference I can see is the difference in batterie Voltages------help is needed and where we can obtain these heavy fuses
and holders
Old 02-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Currently flying:

Parkzone Typhoon/brushless (set up on the Optic 6)
CombatWings 48" XE2/2815-3000/6x4/2200mAh 3s Lipo
HL Yak-54/KMS outrunner/10x4.7/1350 mAh 3s Liipo
Ikarus Su-27XXL/Warp4/6x4/1450 mAh 3s Lipo

Building:

Mountain Models Magpie, cut the sport wing to be flat, inset ailerons with individual servos (going to play with elevator/flap mixing), another cheap brushless outrunner and 3s Lipo

On the shelf:

Tiger Moth 400 (will get brushless, 3s Lipo)
Wattage Turbo Vector (will get brushless, 3s Lipo)
Great Planes Combat Corsair (will get 350-400W of brushless once I wade through all the options), 3s Lipo

Still might pick up a Multiplex Sonic Liner, (2) 3 turn Warp4's

....and I still lust after an Electrostreak - if they's offer it without the paperweight motor
Old 02-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Robert53

Flying - or soon will be

-Great planes Super Sportster EP
China 2915-5 - 12X10, 6200rpm, 30A @ takeoff on 3S3p 5100mah. I usually fly at 1/2 throttle, flight time almost 30 minutes
-Typhoon - Stock
-Goldberg Shock 3D on a Himax 2025/4266
-House of Balsa, P-51, Himax 2825/2700, 27A @ takeoff, Cobri box, 4.22:1, 8200rpm on APC 10X10, 4S2P
-GWS slow stick - stock, but trying out a battery I hope will give 45+ minutes.
-32" WS Pitts on the way.

Everytime I go to the shop and see my big old Balsa USA Taube sitting there I swear it said it wanted to be Electric!

It turns out I like Eflight.

Quick Reply: What sort of electrics are we flying, folks?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15370 seconds with 19 queries