Support your LHS - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Support your LHS

Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 AM
RickAvery

I have 2 LHSs within 15mi. of my home. Might think I'm lucky. I would think I was lucky too if only I was treated halfway deciently. Both of them absolutly suck if you need anything relating to flight. If I need something for my e-trucks/buggies, they're OK at best. The attitude is horrible! When it comes to airplanes, neither offer anything coming close to good advice, simply because nobody behind the counter knows much about fllight. 1000 times better information is had in these forums on RCG,RCU & WF. Both shops are smug & really think they're doing you a favor. Except for absolutly basic items, they rarely have what I need. Oh, they're happy to order it for me. Guess what? 2 30mi. round trips, 1 to order, 1 pick up, costs me more in gas @$4.50/gal. than shipping. On two occations I called and specifically asked for a 3mm prop adapter & a DuBro spinner. Each time was told "Yep, we've got it". So I drive there and, Nope don't have it. Thought we did. I haven't been back! LHSs can either offer something to the customer in competitave prices, or GOOD on the spot advice/information/options. If not, then when they whine about the internet putting then out of business, I don't hear you.
Rick
Old 06-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Old Sloppy

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
the web site is managed by the RC Hobbies franchise owner... That will be outside my scope of control... :o

This is bad, real bad because your web sight is a large percentage of your annual sales figure.

Web ordering is the way for your business to grow.

I live in Atlanta, I can't drive to your store.

I can order from your web page so it had better be under your control.

Harry
Old 06-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by carld2002 View Post
Opening up your own online store working out of your main store is a great way to compete and make cash from people who would otherwise be too far from you to buy.
I appreciate your thought process -- however, I believe the problem still exists that the LHS has to pay for lots of "overhead" (such as $2500 per month for rent), that a web-only store does not have to deal with.

Originally Posted by Old Sloppy View Post
Good point -- I'll see what I can do about that. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:11 AM
carld2002

I understand the overhead and that is why I expect to pay more in a local shop than online.

However, when certain stores fail to give me the selection or service that I desire, I have no problem taking my business to a place (online or elsewhere) with lower prices.

Service is #1 and is the only reason why local hobby shops would have a chance at all. Bad service = soon to be failing store.

Local stores can compete with online stores but not in the way of pricing. Don't worry, most people don't mind a spending bit extra (keyword: bit) if it means that they will get to experience the upsides of shopping in real life.

(not implying that you have bad service or anything )
Old 06-06-2008, 03:33 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Kev -- I apologize... You're describing a personality flaw of mine, which (believe it or not) I've been working to correct. I promise to keep at it, if you promise to forgive me from time to time... :o
Oh, if I must.....

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Kev,

My experience with HTU has been hit and miss depending on where you go. Mine is not too bad, just wish they carried more of the micro parts. But they have a great supply of paints, which is where I usually get all my military colors.
I just always find that HTU never has the little things I need when I need them NOW. Granted, RCH didn't have the wheels I needed for my MPXT either, but.....

It just slays me that they want your business, but never would have the things I need. Props were another issue, as were spare parts for my Blade CX2. (Now THOSE I can find at RCH)
Old 06-06-2008, 10:43 PM
aircruiser
onboard addict

i havent been to my lhs in over 6 months. for one, all my money is going to my jeep and only today have i driven an r/c (to windy to fly) since ive been to the lhs. they are all a bunch of pricks there. one time, my friend was joking and told one of the guys at the shop that he was going to buy a stock clodbuster and crawl it at a competition stock. the guy at the lhs went on a rant on how clods suck stock and was out of his mind for even thinking about doing that.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 PM
marchino61

Default I'd like to support my LHSes, but...

Today I realised the prop adapter on my Parkzone T-28 Trojan was bent. I went to three LHSes here in Perth, Western Australia to buy a replacement so I could fly tomorrow.

NONE of them had this simple part. And even if they had, the standard one they stocked was Graupner - over $20!

Two said they could order the part and get it by next weekend. One of them has said that countless times before and not delivered.

I can order this part from Hobbycity for $3 and have it in my hands by next weekend.

What is the point of the LHS if they can't even keep simple, standard parts in stock?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by marchino61 View Post
Today I realised the prop adapter on my Parkzone T-28 Trojan was bent. I went to three LHSes here in Perth, Western Australia to buy a replacement so I could fly tomorrow.

NONE of them had this simple part. And even if they had, the standard one they stocked was Graupner - over $20!

Two said they could order the part and get it by next weekend. One of them has said that countless times before and not delivered.

I can order this part from Hobbycity for $3 and have it in my hands by next weekend.

What is the point of the LHS if they can't even keep simple, standard parts in stock?
Thanks for your post!

Not to pick on you, but the price is not the LHS' fault -- I've made statements on other threads that ParkZone parts are overpriced. (Though, you said the part was Graupner, which I don't think is ParkZone...)

I guess my point is, you are comparing Graupner parts to Hobby City parts, and that's really not a fair comparison. :o

Let me ask you a question -- if your LHS had the Hobby City prop adapter in stock, what would you have been willing to pay for it to get it NOW (instead of ordering from Hobby City, and waiting a week)? Please don't forget to factor shipping into your equation. (For example, when I look at that $2.69 prop adapter at Hobby City, they want to charge me $3.09 to ship to my house, in the United States.)
Old 06-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Old Sloppy

I believe the LHS has to pay for lots of "overhead" (such as $2500 per month for rent), that a web-only store does not have to deal with.
Am I understanding this correctly?
Do you believe you have to "slug it out" with web-only stores ?
You will if you have poor "service".

If you think low prices are needed to make a sale, then you need to learn that "service" is what brings in the profits.

If I get good "service" ( advise /information) I will pay extra to get it.

You "build up" clientel by word of mouth, hense profits.

Harry
Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Mac1z
Rookie Member

Iam new to the rc world, live in Gresham Or, the flying club here says go to http://www.coyotehobby.com/ I have been there once not real big but lots of folks in the shop. I have bought all of my rc setup online with the help of you all here at wattflyer. We will se how it all turns out when it all gets here.

Last edited by Mac1z; 06-08-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:48 AM
marchino61

@ Lt. Loughead:

I was so desperate to fly today that I would have paid $20 for the Graupner part, though I would have resented it.

None of the stores had the Parkzone equivalent in stock, which would have cost $9 or $10 over here.

I ended up buying a HobbyCity equivalent part from a member of my club who retails Chinese stuff at our field. It cost me $7.

My point had much more to do with service than price. If the LHSes can't even be bothered to stock a decent range of parts *and* they are much more expensive than online suppliers, why bother with them?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:49 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Am I understanding this correctly?
Do you believe you have to "slug it out" with web-only stores ?
You will if you have poor "service".

If you think low prices are needed to make a sale, then you need to learn that "service" is what brings in the profits.

If I get good "service" ( advise /information) I will pay extra to get it.

You "build up" clientel by word of mouth, hense profits.

Harry
Case in point: my Blade CP Pro had a bent spindle. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it out. Also had a bent main shaft that I couldn't wrangle out of the machine. This is total about $10 worth of parts. I called the LHS - said I can't figure out how to replace these parts, and they said come on down here we'll show you. I expected them to point out a screw or a clip I missed and then I would be off to fix the thing myself. Not so - the guy at the shop completely disassembled the head of my chopper and replaced both parts for me while I stood there and watched! That is what I call good service.

Thompson Hobbies is still my main shop, but he doesn't carry helicopter stuff, so these guys will now be my go-to people for helicopter stuff. Even if their price is a little higher than online (which it never is), I would go there because I know they are going to back up the product with service that I could never get from an online shop. If I had got my Blade online, it would still be broken right now...
Old 06-10-2008, 02:35 AM
marchino61

Default RC Hobbies website

This is bad, real bad because your web sight is a large percentage of your annual sales figure.

Web ordering is the way for your business to grow.

I live in Atlanta, I can't drive to your store.

Harry
I have just noticed this discussion about the RC Hobbies franchise. I hesitate to step in so late in the day, but I would like to make a comment, having donned my flame-proof overalls

I was looking at buying a franchise a couple of years ago (in an unrelated field) and one thing that really put me off a number of them was the way the websites were targeted at selling franchises. If I were a franchisee, I would want the website to be promoting my store and my products, not selling franchises.

Unfortunately there are many websites for franchise groups that seem to think the website is there purely for selling franchises. One that I spoke to was Minuteman Press. I gave up talking to them as soon as I saw their site:
http://minutemanpress.com/

Even thought it does mention products, it seems the website owner is far more interested than selling franchises than products. As a potential franchisee, this is not what I want.

Compare and contrast with McDonalds, one of the most successful franchise operations in the world:
http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa.html

The first thing you see is a tool for locating a store (I hesitate to use the word "restaurant" in this context ).

The franchise info is still there, but you have to click on a couple of links to find it.

If I were buying a franchise, this is what I would be looking for - a franchisor who helps me to sell my products, Not someone who is simply interesting in signing people up for lucrative franchise fees.

Feel free to flame away!!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

No -- no flames from me.

You are absolutely correct. All I can tell you is that the franchise owner is TALKING about changing the web site... I've been meaning to call him for the last several days, to discuss the future of the web site -- but we keep missing eachother...

When I do get a hold of him, I will be sure to mention what you said.

Thank you for your contribution! ...and never fear to speak your mind!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

That was one of the things that put me off about the RCHobbies web site. It's part of the reason I had so much trouble finding the stores. For a while, it looked to me like there weren't any stores in Colorado, but I could buy one if I wanted to... this is really bad. Franchise sites should be on a different domain name than the consumer site... so if your consumer site is www.rchobbies.com then your business outreach site should be something related, but different like www.rchobbiesowners.com...

People who are interested in franchise opportunities will be able to find the more complex URL using Google, but CUSTOMERS who are the most important people in the business, will not be confused since the simpler URL is for them. I am a professional web designer so I'm a little picky when it comes to this stuff, and I'm a little more irritated than the average user when it's wrong - but it's still super-important. The average user would have just gone somewhere else, whereas I took the time to investigate enough of the site to really irritate me...
Old 07-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Chad
Jaguar ate my Stryker!!!!

It's different down here in aus, because we have to factor in convertion rated, ever increasing shipping cost, the lhs owner earning some moneyfor himself and to pay the rent etc etc.
For some of us, money is pretty tight. I'm currently on holiday from school... and I'm working night shift at a bakery for 10 hours earning $8.01 an hour! So, hobbycity (form me) is the only way to go.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

You know something? Yesterday I received two LiPos I ordered over SIX weeks ago, and suddenly realized the shipping was $7.79.

This added $2.60 to the price of each LiPo, and I had to wait SIX weeks to get them...

Just something to consider when crunching your numbers...