Mythbuster's Treadmill Plane Poll - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying
View Poll Results: Will the Mythbuster's Planes Take Off from the "Treadmill"
The RC Plane Will Take Off
66.29%
The Full Scale Plane Will Take Off
49.44%
The RC Plane Won't Take Off
15.73%
The Full Scale Plane Won't Take Off
22.47%
Who cares? This is dumb
21.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Mythbuster's Treadmill Plane Poll

Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Old Sloppy

If you set the brakes, it won't lift off due to the reverse direction of travel.

Or if you removed the prop, it won't lift off.

One must assume one or both of these are built into the myth, other wise the myth is senseless...

Harry

Last edited by Old Sloppy; 06-04-2008 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-04-2008, 01:06 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by Old Sloppy View Post
If you set the brakes, it won't lift off due to the reverse direction of travel.

Or if you removed the prop, it won't lift off.

One must assume one or both of these are built into the myth, other wise the myth is senseless...

Harry
You're right
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cartoon.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	68117  

Last edited by pd1; 06-04-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
wingspann
Certified Codger

I think they need to turn the plane around and run it the OTHER direction on the treadmill. Lock the brakes, and you have a catapult!

John
Old 06-04-2008, 05:08 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

...sigh...

Name:	beating-a-dead-horse.gif
Views:	1005
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	68151  
Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Old Sloppy

Here is one to ponder....

If you are driving in your car in excess of the speed of sound suddenly you turn on your radio. Exactly what happens next?

Harry

P.S. if you really know the answer, keep your mouth shut Please.

I enjoy folk's wild guesses. So I am keeping my mouth shut, for now...
Old 06-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Here is one to ponder....

If you are driving in your car in excess of the speed of sound suddenly you turn on your radio. Exactly what happens next?

Harry

P.S. if you really know the answer, keep your mouth shut Please.

I enjoy folk's wild guesses. So I am keeping my mouth shut, for now...
Old Sloppy::Thats silly ,,as everyone knows that the time continuum would warp to plasma end'in our miserable existence in this universe ,,, bub, steve

Name:	298872FlNK_w.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	68198  
Old 06-05-2008, 05:57 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Sloppy, in your scenario, what would happen next would be that my wife would continue yelling at me to slow down because I'm driving too fast and immediately reach over and turn the radio back off.

But on a technical note...here's my guess...I would guess that provided you were driving a vehicle, say, an SR-71, and F-15 Strike Eagle, or maybe an F-16D (two seaters so that you have witnesses) in excess of the speed of sound that since the air in the cockpit is also moving at the speed of sound then you would be able to hear the radio...

Ooh! Better yet, since people can talk on the Concorde when it's supersonic, then there's the answer! And I'll bet the flight attendants still annoy the crap out of you, boasting that airspeed this, altitude that, right when you're about to fall asleep.....
Old 06-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Old Sloppy

Yes, it will play normaly.
Suprisingly a lot of folks think the speakers will not produce sound somehow...

Round number two.....

You are driving your car at night in excess of the speed of light you turn on your headlight switch.

Will your headlights actually light up or will the light be stuck inside the rear part of the bulbs?

Keep in mind that electricty flows slower than the speed of light.....

Harry
Old 06-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

I've never been THAT stoned, so couldn't tell you....

Greg S
Old 06-07-2008, 02:59 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

You are driving your car at night in excess of the speed of light you turn on your headlight switch.

Will your headlights actually light up or will the light be stuck inside the rear part of the bulbs?

Keep in mind that electricty flows slower than the speed of light.....

Harry
Irrelevant (sorry bout the pun) The speed of light is always 186,282 MPS relative to the viewer. The light will leave the headlight at 186,282MPS from the driver's point of view, and it will also reach the pedestrian it shines on at 186,282MPS from his (or hers). Confusing? That’s where time dilation comes into play. For the driver, time is moving slower than it is for the pedestrian, hence Miles Per Second takes on different meanings for each.

This advanced physics lesson brough to you courtesy of; Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:11 PM
C140
Tailwheels Fly Better

Tell me if I'm getting the concept here.

So when I'm sitting in my Cessna 140 at the end of the giant treadmill runway, the treadmill runway is stopped, and as I add power and start rolling, the treadmill starts in the opposite direction at the same speed the wheels are spinning. But it doesn't ever matter how fast the treadmill is spinning because the plane isn't powered by the wheels. So I would still get my 40 kts airspeed and fly away, since the air the plane is moving through is the same as the air over a normal runway, right?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

That's about the gist of it, yes.

I think it would be easier for them to bust if they used a flying boat taking off against the current. Same principles would apply

Greg S
Old 06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by KingCrash View Post
That's about the gist of it, yes.

I think it would be easier for them to bust if they used a flying boat taking off against the current. Same principles would apply

Greg S
Theres alott of good ( and smart) bub's outthere to Disagree with me BUT,Pull'in the rug out from under a plane wasn't the myth it's just the only way folks with lesser In'tell'lek could make it work, the MYTH was suppose to be a short tread mill close to the length of the plane spin'in to opposite and the plane "lifting strait up,, Aint happening,, They used a normal takeoff run and got to takeoff speed and used the same amount off run-way NOT THE MYTH! this has been a ball an I'm love'in be'in right and everyone think'in they are!!even if I'm wrong, Viva-la differentiations!! I'd love to see your boatplane idea put to the test, Now That would be cool!!your bub, steve

Name:	ds007.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	68396  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:20 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Theres alott of good ( and smart) bub's outthere to Disagree with me BUT,Pull'in the rug out from under a plane wasn't the myth it's just the only way folks with lesser In'tell'lek could make it work, the MYTH was suppose to be a short tread mill close to the length of the plane spin'in to opposite and the plane "lifting strait up,, Aint happening,, They used a normal takeoff run and got to takeoff speed and used the same amount off run-way NOT THE MYTH! this has been a ball an I'm love'in be'in right and everyone think'in they are!!even if I'm wrong, Viva-la differentiations!! I'd love to see your boatplane idea put to the test, Now That would be cool!!your bub, steve
The only way a plane is going to take off within it's own length is if it's heading into a wind which is blowing at or above the minimum speed required for the plane to ascend. In which case it wouldn't matter if it's taking off from a treadmill or static ground.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
The only way a plane is going to take off within it's own length is if it's heading into a wind which is blowing at or above the minimum speed required for the plane to ascend. In which case it wouldn't matter if it's taking off from a treadmill or static ground.
FlyWheel:: Good call,YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!THATS THE MYTH, and in the myth theres no wind so?That Mythbuster crap was just that, CRAP!!!!!!!!!!your bub, steve PS Good call My Fly'inwheelie BUB!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

Even worse...If there's "no wind", by meteoroligical (sp?) definition, there'd be no atmosphere. There's always wind, wind speed, however is different.... That's the kicker for me.

Anyway It's fun to think about (and I still want to see the flying boat in a sluice )

Greg S
Old 06-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by KingCrash View Post
Even worse...If there's "no wind", by meteoroligical (sp?) definition, there'd be no atmosphere. There's always wind, wind speed, however is different.... That's the kicker for me.

Anyway It's fun to think about (and I still want to see the flying boat in a sluice )

Greg S
Sitt'in on the tar-mac wait for the weather-man LOL, good-one KingCrash'inBub! steve
Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I dunno... my Slow Stick will shoot almost immediately straight up on a ROG takeoff. Full throttle + full up elevator + 3S LiPo powering a TP2409-12 = SSTO (Super Short Take-Off), and near VTO (Vertical Take-Off). And if it had a canard configuration instead of elevator, it could probably take off straight up in an even shorter distance.

Also, I think the XF5U ("Flying Flapjack") could achieve lift off in a very short distance, perhaps less than its own length. And obviously a Harrier can, but I don't think that counts for this discussion since we're talking about wing-lift based takeoffs. (Which, actually, I guess disqualifies the Flapjack, too, since it's take-off was more based on raw prop power than lift.)

Still, though--I think lift plays a large enough component in my Slow Sticks takeoff that it should be allowed to count.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

SS/2409-12=Around a three/one ratio,, Oh heck ya!!( mines runn'in 2409-18)your bub, steve
Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Crash&Burn(Often) View Post
Tell me if I'm getting the concept here.

So when I'm sitting in my Cessna 140 at the end of the giant treadmill runway, the treadmill runway is stopped, and as I add power and start rolling, the treadmill starts in the opposite direction at the same speed the wheels are spinning. But it doesn't ever matter how fast the treadmill is spinning because the plane isn't powered by the wheels. So I would still get my 40 kts airspeed and fly away, since the air the plane is moving through is the same as the air over a normal runway, right?
That's exactly right!

Kicking the dead horse again, there I go.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Old Sloppy

Originally Posted by Crash&Burn(Often) View Post
the plane isn't powered by the wheels.

You are way smarter than the folks that origionated this myth....

Harry
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Sorry, video didn't load
Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 AM
desertrat

Ok guys. I'm new to this forum, but this has been very entertaining. Not quite as entertaining as the other forum argument linked to at the beginning of this one, but very good. Those other guys are completely brainless, other than one or two of them. What it comes down to is that groundspeed has nothing to do with flying. Before I ever even flew anything, RC or full size, I had that fact demonstrated to me in a very clear manner at an airshow in Banning, CA. Art Schull pulled out onto the runway in a STOL equipped Cub, aimed it into a 30 mph breeze, and proceeded to levitate. Then, just to show off, he backed it down the runway. You could have ran up there and gave the wheels a spin, backwards, or forwards, it doesn't matter. Airspeed is all that matters.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:20 AM
Pudknocker71
Breaking wind.

I think this thread is on a treadmill. Check the last post date.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Pudknocker71 View Post
I think this thread is on a treadmill. Check the last post date.
Yes, but it will fly.

Quick Reply: Mythbuster's Treadmill Plane Poll

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10968 seconds with 20 queries