Need Advice- What ESC? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Need Advice- What ESC?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Guido44

Default Need Advice- What ESC?

Hi Guys,

I think I have a problem with my speed controller choice.

I'm using the E-Flight 40 amp ESC.

I was using an E-Flight 480 motor. No problems.

I needed a little more power so I bought this from BP Hobbies.

I was doing a test run, just holding onto the plane and after about 2 or 3 minutes at about half throttle and I think the ESC just cuts off. It feels a little warm.

I'm assuming that there is a temp cut off. ?

What ESC would you recommend?

Thanks,

dan

Last edited by Guido44; 03-29-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Buck Rogers

The ESC you have should be ok.

The problem might be that there is not enough airflow over the ESC because you are not flying the plane. Its not good to hold the plane stationary and run the motor for too long - you need to get some air flow over the components.

Exactly how warm is "a litte warm"?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Guido44

Not hot, but enough to make the cover on the ESC come loose, and even separate. NOT nearly hot enough that I can't hold onto it.

After I cut the throttle all the way down, about 5 seconds later the ESC beeps twice, and it resets itself. (?)

That was going to be my next question actually.
My Murphy's law paranoia tells me NOT to wrap the ESC with electrical tape.

What should I do about that?

thanks,

dan
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Motor/ESC Combo?

Hello Dan, Welcome to Wattflyer!
Well, there are a couple of things I'd suggest; First, NEVER run a motor for more than a few seconds "Static". On your speed controller link, you'll notice the words "40 amps continuous with proper airflow." This means when the model is flying, and assumes that there are vents and cooling provisions for the ESC. Even at 1/2 throttle, you are putting a major load on the power system, both with heat dissipation and and amp draw.
Second, a 40 amp ESC is way too big for the 480 motor. This won't cause any real problems in that application, except carrying extra weight around.
But it's likely too small for the BP motor. I'd imagine you're running a 3s LiPo? If so, you'll see from the chart that this motor will pull 30-35amps with various props. If you haven't propped it correctly it may even be higher and you're hitting the "Thermal overload" or Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC), both safety devices built into ESC's to prevent this very situation.
It might work in the air, with proper cooling and the exact prop. On the ground, with poor airflow and cooling, no chance. The LVC or Overload function probably saved you from a melted ESC, cooked battery or both.
Although the BP site didn't recommend a specific value for the ESC, with 440 watts (potential) output, I'd say a 50amp ESC would be the minimum I'd recommend.
Hope this doesn't come across as too harsh, but you are dealing with a potentially dangerous situation here.
Only run an electric motor for a few seconds on the ground, long enough to get a Wattmeter reading. Then shut it down.
Good Luck!
Ron
P.S. Just saw your later post; Don't wrap anything around the ESC. Cooling, Cooling, Cooling!!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
RoadKingAl
RoadKingAl

Thumbs up

#1 Was the battery fully charged ??? and not connected to the ESC and disconnected and connected..... think, the speed control can be thrown auto settings and shutting down due to low Voltage.
#2 Yes this could also be shutting down do to high heat, but the plane was being held in static air. When the plane is not flying yes it will heat up..... Try the same with a fully charged battery, use as many extra fans to force air over the top.
#3 How much throttle were you feeding in ?, too high can be an additional problem that can cause the effect you are describing.

Just a few thoughts, A new ESC may not be your answer. A proper esc should always be used. But look up your specs. I have a new e-flite 40, two flights later I wanted additional motor. Motor gave me a choice on 3s1P or as I wanted a 4s1P battery. your ESC is olny good for up to 3 lipo cells. I was forced to make a change.

Luck with you.
Al
Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Guido44

I just charged the battery right before running it.

I was hooked up to a balancer as well.

Here's another question also: Does it matter if I'm charging directly to the battery, or should I charge THROUGH the balancer?

Edit: Here's my balancer. The e-Station PB6.

I looked at the balacer, I don't think there's a way to charge through the balancer anyway.

AND, yes I am using a TP 3 cell 2100 lipo.

What about this ESC? Align 75 amp brushless?

Is this a good brand?

dan

Last edited by Guido44; 03-29-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
RoadKingAl
RoadKingAl

Originally Posted by Guido44 View Post
I just charged the battery right before running it.

I was hooked up to a balancer as well.

Here's another question also: Does it matter if I'm charging directly to the battery, or should I charge THROUGH the balancer?

Edit: Here's my balancer. The e-Station PB6.

I looked at the balacer, I don't think there's a way to charge through the balancer anyway.

AND, yes I am using a TP 3 cell 2100 lipo.

dan
Hey Dan, you are using a separate balance unit, what are you charging with.
Your original problem, the fact that the battery had a fresh charge means that there is no problems with the BEC in the ESC shutting down. I do agree with all of the rest, never run a motor on the ground, these motors nee4d cooling as well does the ESC.

Al
Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Guido44

A Triton2.

It's set at 11.1 and 2000 mAh.

That ok?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Buck Rogers

Sky Sharkster is right, a 50 amp ESC may be better suited but E-flight stuff is pretty good to it should be good to 40 amps continuous draw so I dont think it should be a problem.

Make sure you dont wrap anything round the ESC you need to let the air get to it.

I think the first thing to check is how much current you are pulling with your setup. Do you have a watt meter - if so use it to make sure you haven't over propped the motor. If you haven't got a watt meter try putting on a smaller prop and see if the same thing happens.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Guido44

No I don't have a meter.

I think I'll just go ahead and order a larger ESC. I need this ESC for my E-Flight 480, and I need another ESC for a Magpie I just ordered.

Would a Phoenix 80 ESC be too much for the motor from BP Hobbies I have?

Thanks,

dan
Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Buck Rogers

Originally Posted by Guido44 View Post
No I don't have a meter.

I think I'll just go ahead and order a larger ESC. I need this ESC for my E-Flight 480, and I need another ESC for a Magpie I just ordered.

Would a Phoenix 80 ESC be too much for the motor from BP Hobbies I have?

Thanks,

dan

Too much ESC wont do any harm except you will be carrying more weight than you need. If it was me I would go for a 50 A ESC but an 80A ESC will work too.