Who makes multiple harnesses for 3 Controllers? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Who makes multiple harnesses for 3 Controllers?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 AM
rocketman1

Default Who makes multiple harnesses for 3 Controllers?

I'm looking for a manufacturer of a triple harness to connect three Controllers for my trimotor with brushless motors, or a printed board with three connectors and a line to the throttle channel in the receiver. Any idea?
Sam
Old 08-15-2009, 03:10 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

can't say as I've ever seen anything like that. good luck finding something. I'd be interested in something like that also.

I am not currently flying in multi motors but will again someday I'm sure.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:33 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Default Triple Connector

Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
I'm looking for a manufacturer of a triple harness to connect three Controllers for my trimotor with brushless motors, or a printed board with three connectors and a line to the throttle channel in the receiver. Any idea?
Sam
Assume you are looking for a servo cable with one connector to the receiver, and three connectors to the three ESC's running the three brushless motors?

One way to do this, is to buy three servo extension cables of appropriate length, cut off the connector to the receiver end on all three cables. Then strip the leadwires, and solder the black wire of the receiver cable to three black wires of the lead wires of the three connectors leading to the ESC's. Repeat with the red wires, and the signal wires. And, of course before starting any of this, slide appropriate pieces of shring tubing over the leadwires BEFORE soldering. (Kind of hard to do after soldering.) Don't solder to close to the shrink tubing, it might shrink to soon, and screw up everything. You can always place a wet rag on the shrink tubing to make certain soldering doesn't shrink it to soon.

Then double check, then triple check your work, especially wire colors, and try it. Make certain the red and black wires are not reversed:o

You should be able to plug the receiver end into a throttle servo in your receiver, then plug in a servo into each of the other ends to make certain all is OK.

Also, make certain you don't get it backwards, and make a cable to connect three receivers to ONE ESC!

Other readers have indicated that only one ESC should feed the receivers 5 Volt DC input. Good point. But, since a three motor powered model might be getting a little big, it might be a good idea to power the receiver battery with a separate switching type BEC, such as the Castle Creations unit, or the Common Sense unit. I'm using both of them, and both work very well. The Common Sense unit does have a higher voltage input rating than the CC unit though.

Last edited by kyleservicetech; 08-15-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: BEC Wiring
Old 08-15-2009, 04:01 AM
Twmaster

IIRC you want to disconnect the red wire from the ESCs to the RX as you do not want the power from three BECs feeding the system.

Not sure why this is bad. I just remember reading that somewhere on multi engine setups.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:42 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

It's basically in series then.

That would be 15v or so to the receiver.

So cut the red on two of them, or all 3 and use a BEC.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Twmaster

No. Parallel.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

If they are Castle controllers you can leave all the red wires connected with no issues. Im running a setup with 8 Castle controllers and all the BEC's are feeding the rx at the same time.

With most any other brand of esc you should NOT do this though. The BEC circuits on the cheep controllers wont handle it well. Never do it with any controller that has a switching bec.

The simple way to do the rx conenction is just use 2 Y harnesses in line. Y the first two controllers together, then feed the output of that one into a second Y along with the third controller and feed the final lead into the rx.

On that particular plane Im using 7 or 8 Y harnesses (I forget) to connect up all the controllers. It works fine

Remember that Im using quality controllers and feeding the whole mess with a Berg Rx. With the cheeper stuff it may or may not work as well. I would think that with only three it would be fine though.

As far as connecting up multiple battery connections you'll need to wire something up yourself to connect your pack or packs to the three esc's. I dont know of any premade tri-paralell setups. Of course you could also use two Y type battery connectors and do it just like the rx connections.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:26 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Thanks Larry.

MUCH clearer.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:32 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
IIRC you want to disconnect the red wire from the ESCs to the RX as you do not want the power from three BECs feeding the system.

Not sure why this is bad. I just remember reading that somewhere on multi engine setups.

Good Point. I've used multiple inputs from my CC ESC's to the receiver with no problems, but different ESC manufacturers may not like doing this.

I've added text to my posting showing this concern.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

The simple answer to your basic question "a three connector lead" is to use two "Y" harnesses. I just did this on my E-Flite P-38 for the nose wheel and rudders. That's three servos. Two into on "Y", the "Y" into one side of the second "Y" and the third servo into the remaining slot and then into the rx.
WT

PS do what you want with advice about multiple escs w/bec; all I can say is that with two CC controllers and a total of 6 micro servos the BEC from both controllers are connected and it's working fine.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:07 PM
rocketman1

Thanks to all for your response, Larry3215 tell me the right thing to do, no problem with BEC, I not plan to use it, to many mini servos in my model, is big and can take an extra rcv battery.
Thanks to all again,
Sam