Making a wind turbine??? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electronic Builders Workshop Discuss how to build motors, ESC's, chargers, mixers, etc here

Making a wind turbine???

Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM
sam94

Default Making a wind turbine???

I would like to make a small wind turbine, im only young so i dont want to power my house or something, i'd just like to power a few led's.

How can i do it.

I've read many forums about wind turbines but dont understand it.

But i'd like to make an alternator.

I will be able to buy some Neodymium Magnets from ebay for cheap, and i'd be able to buy some cheap copper wire, but how would it work?

I've heard you have a shaft and you have two magnets on the shaft, so when the shaft spins it brushes the copper wire???, i dont know...

Also how do you get the ends of the copper wires (probably 6 ends) to all connect into Black and red wires.

I have a weeks holiday off soon so i'd like to complete it in that week, any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Here's a good place for magnets. (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp)

Here's a great vid on how to do it. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rOvmWJoK4k&feature=player_profilepage[/media]

All you really need is an old fan (or something like it to "collect" the wind) and an old brushed motor to act as your "alternator".
Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM
sam94

Originally Posted by TDisaster View Post
Here's a good place for magnets. (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp)

Here's a great vid on how to do it. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rOvmWJoK4k&feature=player_profilepage[/media]
All you really need is an old fan (or something like it to "collect" the wind) and an old brushed motor to act as your "alternator".
Thanks for replying but i was kinda thinking about making one like this

Any help???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	single3-7.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	111542  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I think the cheapest way, would be to use a 400 size brush motor, and put a large prop on it, you may be able to make a big prop, with 3 wood paint stir sticks. or some window blinds, With a Alternator, you will be making AC current, then you will have to use Diodes to change it to DC Pulsing current then add capacitors to change it to DC current, Just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie
Old 10-18-2009, 01:26 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Sam 94,
Would be nice to know what scale and purpose this has..that is if you wouldn't have to kill me when you told me. Since you are lighting led's I suspect this must be a plane mounted turbine. If thats the case why not try a EDF housing with a brushed motor and a home made set of turbine blades of aluminum (.009 mill finish aluminum flashing) Since it is a low speed turbine then balance would not be too critical and you could experiment with blade pitch with needle nose pliers. If you wanted to test output you could wire it up to a volt meter and hold it out the car window at different speeds (no wind). Might have someone else drive .As to the wiring...Chellie is likely on the right track.

CC
Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 AM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Default Too late!

I already have the alternator off the car engine.

Rich
Old 10-18-2009, 09:27 AM
sam94

[QUOTE=capn chaos;653061]Sam 94,
Would be nice to know what scale and purpose this has..that is if you wouldn't have to kill me when you told me. Since you are lighting led's I suspect this must be a plane mounted turbine. If thats the case why not try a EDF housing with a brushed motor and a home made set of turbine blades of aluminum (.009 mill finish aluminum flashing) Since it is a low speed turbine then balance would not be too critical and you could experiment with blade pitch with needle nose pliers. If you wanted to test output you could wire it up to a volt meter and hold it out the car window at different speeds (no wind). Might have someone else drive .As to the wiring...Chellie is likely on the right track.

CC[/QUOTE]

i would just like to try something new, i have made one before but it created no electricity.

but i'd just like to try something different and make one which will light some led's.

i dont want it to be too tall, only about 4 foot tall, and i wouldnt want it too be a low speed turbine, i would want it to spin fast in high wind, when it comes to blade balancing i was thinking about just using a large 3 blade plane prop, probably a pusher prop...

Is there an easy way i can make a wind turbine, im only 15 years old so i need it too be as easy as possible.

Also can i not just put a propeller onto a 300-400 sized brushed motor and connect the black and red wires from the motor to what ever im trying to make work..e.g a light bulb.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

[QUOTE ] from Sam 94, Also can i not just put a propeller onto a 300-400 sized brushed motor and connect the black and red wires from the motor to what ever im trying to make work..e.g a light bulb.

SURE YOU CAN, WHY NOT have you ever used those bicycle electric generators that attach on your bike forks and rub and spin on the wheel, Same Thing, it will generate electricity the same way, Hope that helps, Chellie

Need a small electric generator?
Try a bicycle generator. This small electric generator is usually mounted on a bicycle and produces about 6 volts AC while you are driving the bicycle. Some students use this generator in construction of a windmill or watermill.
This small generator (Dynamo)comes with components that allow you to connect it to any bicycle and produce electricity while riding a bike. Electricity produced by this generator can be used to light up multiple light bulbs. See more details about bicycle dynamo.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old 10-18-2009, 09:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

The Generator

If you think about it, a generator is just a motor operating in reverse. If electrical current can cause a coil of wire to rotate in a magnetic field, rotation of a coil of wire in a magnetic field produces electrical current. The only difference between an AC and a DC generator is the arrangement of the commutator and brushes.

In the DC generator, the commutator makes and breaks in the same manner as the motor shown above. As the armature turns, one brush is always connected to the positive end of the windings and the other is connected to the negative end of the windings. This results in direct current, or DC. In the AC generator, the commutators never break contact. As one end of the coil winding sweeps past, first the North pole and then the South pole, it changes from positive to negative and back again. The result is alternating current, AC, in which the polarity of the voltage alternates as the armature rotates. If the armature rotates 60 times per second, the frequency of the AC current is 60 cycles per second, or 60 Hertz. In the United States, 60 Hertz is the standard frequency for AC current.

Even a Cave man Can Do It
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...N%26start%3D21
Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default Here you Go Sam, this is what i was talking about

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
sam94

thanks chellie...

is it possible for me to use a 480 brushed motor, if i use this motor will i need a big prop on it.

Would it all create more electricity if i used a smaller motor and a big prp so the prop turns easier and more freely.
only on my 480 motor it kinda clunks as it turns, would it make more sense to buy a new motor that turns really freely..

Any recomendations on what motor and what prop and how much electricity it would produce...

thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sam94 View Post
thanks chellie...

is it possible for me to use a 480 brushed motor, if i use this motor will i need a big prop on it.

Would it all create more electricity if i used a smaller motor and a big prp so the prop turns easier and more freely.
only on my 480 motor it kinda clunks as it turns, would it make more sense to buy a new motor that turns really freely..

Any recomendations on what motor and what prop and how much electricity it would produce...

thanks
Hi Sam brush motors are real cheap, and you can even use a prop from those garden wind mills that they sell to chase birds away check e bay, and you can find everything you need, lets work on this together, and you better Share your School A+ with Me Just kidding, but i will work with you to make it happen
Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 AM
sam94

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Sam brush motors are real cheap, and you can even use a prop from those garden wind mills that they sell to chase birds away check e bay, and you can find everything you need, lets work on this together, and you better Share your School A+ with Me Just kidding, but i will work with you to make it happen
Thank you very much chellie, your always a great help.

ok, then where should we start...

im thinking about starting with a good motor size???, any ideas what sized motor i should use???

Brushed motor yes...?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sam94 View Post
Thank you very much chellie, your always a great help.

ok, then where should we start...

im thinking about starting with a good motor size???, any ideas what sized motor i should use???

Brushed motor yes...?
where are you located at Sam , that will help in looking for parts, i am in the USA in So Calif.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:22 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

a 400 or 480 brush motor will work great, I am on a dial up connection right now, i am in the process of moving, so bear with me I am really slow

OK Here is a 400 size motor from BP hobbies, also check wattflyers selling pages

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...00&pid=U798343

amd found some windmill blades too, 17" and 12" your choice

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINDMILL-BLADES-...item4ceb2e4fac

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINDMILL-BLADES-...item4ceb42e16b

you will need to get a collet to attach the motor to the windmill blade with,

Last edited by CHELLIE; 10-18-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

ok this motor from bp hobbies has a 2.3mm shaft dia. so we need to find a collet with a 2.3mm hole

Click on image for larger or alternate view. Motor: EM400 Motor Weight: 80.2 g / 2.83 oz Shaft Size: 2.3 x 13.8 mm Motor Size: 27.7 x 37.8 mm Voltage: 7.2V No Load Current: 1.3A No Load RPM: 19200 Stall Torque: >1172 g-cm Stall Current: <32A Motor Class: 380 / 400
Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Think GEEK Sam

I found a collet to attach the blades to the motor with, what do you think so far Sam, will it work

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...03&pid=V748000

I got kicked off line , I hate dial up
Old 10-18-2009, 10:58 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I think I gave you enough to work with right now, this generator will make about 6 to 12 volts depending on how much wind you have in your area, and how much pitch you give to the windmill blades, it looks like you can adjust the pitch on the e bay windmill blades, I tried to get the lowest cost on parts for you, I was 15 too once lets see that was about 6 years ago, yes that right, and that makes me 21 Now, well it sure sounds good to me Hope that helps so far, Take care, I need to get my beauty sleep, Chellie
Old 10-20-2009, 04:35 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

One of these caused my first bad bicycle injury (10 years old). It slipped down into the spokes and flipped the bike over the front wheel. I ended up in the hospital with a concussion. Thanks for the memories
Old 10-20-2009, 05:17 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dbcisco View Post

One of these caused my first bad bicycle injury (10 years old). It slipped down into the spokes and flipped the bike over the front wheel. I ended up in the hospital with a concussion. Thanks for the memories
Thats why your so smart now, it took a bumb on the head to get you going Just Kidding it worked for me, i was riding a friend on the handel bars on my bike, that silly person decided to stick there foot in the spokes behind the front fork, my bike flipped too, good thing I hit my head, or i might have gotten Hurt Take care, Chellie
Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

I was glad I hit the ground with something I wasn't using.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

From what I've read you will need to modify you motor/alternator. It usually about the winding's . It would be really fiddley on a small motor.
Most of the DIY jobs have the magnet mounted on the spindle and the windings on a fixed plate.
www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.shtml is a good site to go too. It should have a cheap simple wind generator to build.
The bike generator would need alot of wind to get it turning!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:42 AM
43851E
Pulso Dealer

Hi Sam,

Do you know how an electromagnet works? It's a piece of iron with a battery connected to a coil of wire, it's just a nail with about a hundred turns of wire around it. Try building one. Just connect the two wires to the battery and see what happens to a paperclip. See the picture?

Now that you have discovered Electromagnetism, the next step is to try fooling around with some brushed DC motors. I like to connect their wires together, to see how turning one of them with my finger, then turns the other, and their only connected with the wires! Now lets find out why. Remember how the electromagnet worked? Imagine that next to a normal magnet, crazy hugh? Did you know that if you switch the wires around on the electromagnet it will change poles? North to south right? Switch the wires back and the electromagnet goes back from South to north. This switching is called changing polarity. If you carefully position a magnet on a smooth table, you could make it spin away or toward the electromagnet. The same goes when you hold the magnet still with your finger, you can feel it push the electromagnet around too. This is very important later. So far by doing this, you have made a simple motor, but it only turns one half way around. Are you fast enough to switch the wires back and forth on the electromagnet to keep the magnet spinning? Maybe with another electromagnet on the other side would help. Getting complex? Not really. Read on Sir Sam…..

There is only one more part that we have not talked about yet, and it switches the wires for you! It's what makes a motor a motor. It's called a "commutator". See the picture? Do you also see the electromagnet next to it? When it is made like that it's called an "armature" or "rotor". It rotates around and it is the electromagnet. Imagine that just when the magnet spins and wants to stick to the end of your electromagnet, connected to that spinning electromagnet was a piece of metal that ended and another one started right next to it with a battery wire touching it would change “polarity” as it spun around. Just keep thinking about how the electromagnet acted upon the magnet. With the battery connected to the coil of wire the magnet spun away, and then when you would switch the wires around it would spin the other way. And so IF you could switch the wires back and forth as fast as the magnet wanted to spin you would have a motor. The only difference is that in almost all motors the magnets are on the outside (glued to the inside of a can) and the electromagnet is the part on the inside, the one that spins.

So the rotor or armature is in fact only an electromagnet (with wires), and the wires get connected to the battery by rubbing on the commutator. Remember, you could feel the magnet pushing the electromagnet away and to the magnet, and then pulling towards it (remember the commutator is switching the electromagnets wires back and forth) That’s what keeps the rotor rotating! Switching the polarity of fields of magnetism back and forth.

Motors and generators are the same thing. Spin a motor and it gives electricity. Give a motor electricity and it spins. Take one apart sometime and see for yourself. I believe there are a few folks on this post Sam that would be willing to send you some motors to help you understand how they work, and I am one of them. Did you know that an old CD drive has many motors inside, some of them we make RC airplanes with!
Good luck Sam. I recommend you work with Chellie. She's a Pro and knows her stuff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	electromagnet.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	111985   Click image for larger version

Name:	FussyBrush-10.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	111986  
Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Rhea7

I need to build a small a wind generator from a cycle dynamo for my school science-fair project to illustrate the working of a wind-electric car. Please guide.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:49 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Just stick a propeller (as large as possible) onto your dyno and connect the output wires end to a suitable rated battery or lightbulb, or whatever you want to power.

Mount it like shown in post #10 and there you have a wind powered generator.

Dont expect to get much power out, but you will get some. To get decent power you would need a very large prop and some gearing mechanism to spin the dyno much faster than the speed of the prop.

A wind powered electric car will only work if you use the wind to charge up the battery while the car is parked. Even with a quite efficient generator you would need to leave the car stationary and charging up from the generator for very many hours or even days to drive for just a few minutes.
Using a wind generator that is powered off the 'wind' produced as the car drives along wont work at all. The power absorbed by the drag of the generator will always be more than the power produced by the generator itself... This is basic physics i.e 'first law of thermodynamics' or 'conservation of energy'.. You cant get more energy out than you put in....

Steve

Quick Reply: Making a wind turbine???

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15932 seconds with 18 queries