Need Some Advice Getting Back In - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Need Some Advice Getting Back In

Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 AM
monsterman

Question Need Some Advice Getting Back In

Ok guys I have flown rc aircraft since I was 12 I am now 30! I took a break from Heli's about a year or so ago, sold off my Raptor's etc.. I want to get back in but I think I will stick with Electrics this go around at least for now. I have really enjoyed my On road and Off Road Electric cars, trucks and the use of Lipo's..

So now I am stuck in choosing a Heli.. What should I go with??

I kinda put them in a list order of what "I think I should go with or start with"

1- Align Trex 250
2- Align Trex 450 "Which Version"
3- E Flite Blade CP Pro
4- E Flite Blade 400

I've been back in the air the last 2 weeks I picked up a E Flite MSR and I am loving it! My buddy let me fly his Align 450 and I really like how she felt! The thing flies like its on rails!

So before I go and dump tons of cash into something when I should of gotten something else could you guys point me in the right direct.. I'd like to just basically go to Heliproz or somewhere such as that and buy a combo deal but I want to pick my radio I am leaning towards Futaba but I kinda like the Spektrum DX6i..

So for you seasoned veterans out there who have been flying the birds listed above you tell me which one I should go with.. If you have some suggestions for Radio Gear, Motors, Servos, Batteries, etc please post up! Feel free to make a list and spend my cash!!!

Thanks guys!
Old 12-23-2009, 04:46 AM
monsterman

Ok no one eh.. You guys are tough!!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

You'll find that wattflyer is more relaxed than RCGroups although you may not get as fast as response as rcgroups on wattflyer you also won't get 5 incorrect responses before the first useful one.

Since you listed that this isn't your first RC I'll assume that your more or lease a seasoned pilot and are able to make all the heli adjustments yourself and also pick all the parts yourself. To that end the T-Rex 450 series seems a natural way to go as it allows for much larger selection.

If you don't already have a descent radio the blade 400 is a good deal as well.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Insomniac

Also, you don't neccessarily have to get an align branded 450... there are quite a few different clones of the TREX 450, with parts interchangeable with the align model. A couple to take a look at are the CopterX and the HK450. These are much cheaper than the 'real' TREX and you can always upgrade key parts to the genuine align parts.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 PM
zeta30
Team Mulikow

The larger heli you get, the easier it will be to control, so I would stay away from the Micro sized ones, 250 and smaller, for now.

Like Insomniac said there are plenty of good TRex clones out there than are a fraction of the cost and nearly as good if not as good as the Align brand. Plus they are 100% compatible with the TRex so when you break parts you can just go to your LHS and buy the Align replacement parts.

I have a CopterX 450 SE and really like it. I think CopterX was one of the first ones to clone the TRex.

The money you save on the clone you can buy a decent simulator as well which is a great tool if you use it properly.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Old Sloppy

What rapter did you own? 30/60/90 ?

If you jump down in size, you are in for a suprise.......
They don't fly the same,
Is this really what you want?

Harry

P.S. I bought a Trex CF 600e and I chose well.....I am pleased.
A buddy of mine has a 500 heli, it is kind of too small...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 PM
UBHSTRY
eltiT resU motsuC

What kind of money are looking to spend? You can put a pretty decent bird in the air for about $150 bucks, give or take. Of course, you can go so so soooooo much higher. If you go with align, chances are you will have more than that in just the birdy itself.

My personally suggestion is the Xhel EXI 450. I think they are great quality heli for the cash. I have 3 of them, and a Trex.
Nothing wrong with a blade 400, I have flown several. But, for that kind of money outlay, you can really put a nice bird in the air, thats NOT a blade 400.

Since you are not new to the hobby itself, I really wouldnt suggest getting a bird that is ready to fly. You can put one together that is much nicer, for less money.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 PM
UBHSTRY
eltiT resU motsuC

Originally Posted by Old Sloppy View Post

They don't fly the same,

Harry

P.S. I bought a Trex CF 600e and I chose well.....I am pleased.
A buddy of mine has a 500 heli, it is kind of too small...
Just as a side note, I like the 450 size. A 500 is too big for me. I like to be able to fly in my parking lot....lol
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 AM
Old Sloppy

[QUOTE=UBHSTRY;676944You can put a pretty decent bird in the air for about $150 bucks,
Nothing wrong with a blade 400, [/QUOTE]

Please explain these comments.

Harry
Old 12-31-2009, 03:58 AM
UBHSTRY
eltiT resU motsuC

Please explain these comments.

Harry
Plastic EXI 450 $37.00

3 Dynam DY-1007 9g on cyclic $3 and some change a piece.

1 EXI D113F Digital Servo on tail $9.00

Alpha 400 $18.00

Exceed 35 Amp ESC $18.00

Detrum Gy48V $20.00

$111.00 Bucks a bird.

Exceed transmitter and rx, 2.4, programable. Cheap, but WORK VERY WELL. Pain in the butt because you must use a computer to program them, and they look cheap, but work very well. 44 dollars.

So, thats 154 bucks, give or take. Yes, you need a battery and charger.

Is this what you were looking for?

This is the set up I have on 3 Exi's. Though I dont use an exceed tx. I have the RDS 8000 on 1, and a 6exh on 2 of them. I Have the exceed and used it, but it is a pain the butt, but for the money, its hard to beat.

A buddy bought a blade 400, I was the only one who ever got to fly it, because he never could quite get the hang of it. But, it was not a bad chopper for someone who needs or wants something RTF. I personally learned on a blade CP.....so i guess everything seems big to me...LOL
Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 AM
66tbird
Classic dirty proto-typer

Figured I'd take a break from RCG and relax here a while. It's been a while.

Another vote here on the EXI. The ease of working on the 450 over the 250 is night and day.

The ability to see to 450 at 70 feet is is also better than the 250. I have both, bought both used on the cheap and each have minor issues.

Mainly the 250 needs good attention in the tail mechanics and a good gyro/servo to stop wag. (I use a 2100t/DS11). It can also be built in a 2s config, which is nibble enough for mild 3D

The 450 needed the Chinese tail mod to improve servo longevity. Other than that its personal pref on motor performance and its associated parts. I run a 2221-8 on pro3D 335mm blades.

Both can be set to mild or wild, but the 250 on 3S can be a knat on crack if needed.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

They don't fly the same,
That's what I was thinking too... a 500 or 600 would be a nice way to start. They are a bit more expensive, but you get so much more, it's hard to explain - the 500 size is where it starts getting fun.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 AM
darylm44

Several guys in our club are flying Trek clones from Hobbycity. They claim they fly just like the Treks at less than half the cost.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:45 AM
UBHSTRY
eltiT resU motsuC

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
Several guys in our club are flying Trek clones from Hobbycity. They claim they fly just like the Treks at less than half the cost.

My EXI's Do! I have honestly had less trouble with them, then any of my align birds.