Oh god...what have I done? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Oh god...what have I done?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Duckman999

Default Oh god...what have I done?

Ok, so a few days ago I flew a copter for the first time.... a few hours later after getting cocky I wrecked it

Posted a short story in the beginner section, but thought this would go better here.

I've been an airplane guy for a long time, and avid glider pilot (RC and full size). Never did a heli, was scared of em'.

Wife bought me a Walkera 60 for Xmas, and I'm hooked. So while ordering some replacement parts today from xheli..... I ended up springing for a Exi500 carbon as well. I'm a "tinkerer" kind of guy, so setting up/building one of these appeals just as much as flying one. I figure I can buy what I need over the next few weeks for the 500, and learn more on the W60 in the mean time. When I informed my wife of the new purchase, she looked a bit stunned, and then muttered..."what have I done".

First thing I'd like to get is a good battery charger. Last time I messed with electrics was back when team associated had came out with a 10l pan car, NiCad's, etc...

Suggestions?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
UBHSTRY
eltiT resU motsuC

What kind of battery set up are you going to use? What kind of cost considerations are you looking at?

Xheli has some nice chargers, I have and use the Thunder AC6. There are several out that are the same basic charger, and I have heard all good things about the others. Especially for the money. Its 55 bucks. BUT, you may have to charge from a battery or power supply if you are running some mongo batteries. The ac supply in it is only good for about 5 amps.

If you got the money, there a several high end chargers....that ironically dont offer a whole lot more, but they can charge at a higher rate.

I must be from you time frame...LOL Had the Novak esc and Tekin 50AMP peak to smoke those cells before racing. All in my 10L. Remember Tamiya run for fun....?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Duckman999

I need to study up on the current crop of batteries and see what I'll use/run. I don't see myself going with anything larger than a 500 on a heli, but could potentially need more battery than that for a hotliner/sailplane.

$55 isn't bad... Did the hobby get CHEAPER while I was away?

I'm not understanding charging from a power supply....are you saying the charger will draw more than 15amps (from a normal household socket?)
Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Since Your going to be flying that 500 heli eventually, I would suggest makeing sure your charger will do at least 3-5amps on 6cell lipo... otherwise it will get really annoying when you charge those 500 packs in 1.5hrs... (I know, I still do it...)

here's a good choice for a higher amp one.... I believe the max is 5amps on 6cell (good for trex600)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...7523&aff=12415

If you want a cheaper charger that will do everything, this one is good, however it's max charge is 2.2amps on 6cell, 4.2amps on 3cell, etc...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...7523&aff=12415

also, this is the battery I'm currently running in my trex500..
Very inexpensive and pretty decent...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9181&Product_Name=Turnig y_2650mAh_6S_20C_Lipo_Pack&aff=12415

If you have a little extra cash to spend, you can go with these packs, they will be a little better
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...Pack&aff=12415

Here's a video of my trex500 so you can get an idea of the power with that pack... (scorpion 1600kv motor 13t pinion) 100 flat throttle curve

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/7859814[/media]

SK
Old 12-31-2009, 03:52 AM
UBHSTRY
eltiT resU motsuC

This hobby has gotten SICK cheap compared to that time frame. Geez, I remember, i was just a kid, but worked at the local hobby shop in town, and man, the Magnum Jr PCM 1024, IRC, was about $350. Gee, check out an airitronics RDS 8000, WAY more radio than people give it credit for. You read all over the net you cant level the swash with it. Um, YES YOU can can. I got one, fully computerized and programable, One Hundered And Fifty Bucks.....WOW.
I am not much good on the high end chargers, I fly mostly the 450 and some nitro.
I put my last bird in the air for 110 dollars, though that doesnt include the Rx. Back then it was a multi thousand dollar, or wait, it couldnt be done yet...LOL

Nice videos
Old 12-31-2009, 04:01 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Hitech hs82's or 225mg's seem to be the norm for cheaper servos for a 500 collective, and a futaba 9257 is also a norm for the tail....

SK
Old 12-31-2009, 04:19 AM
Duckman999

I just sent my old JR X347 off to Radio South to be checked over/new battery (internal and Tx), so I've got the radio covered. No longer needing to buy a new radio rig, I ought to have the 500 ready to fly sooner than I thought. Of course, I'd like to get at least passable with the walkera60 before I go tearing up another one...

I think for what I want to do, it'll work fine. I used to be one of those techno dudes that had to have the latest gadget, etc. I just wanna fly now....save money on radio, but more toys

You guys thinkgreat planes G5 is a decent sim for practicing heli stuff? I'm bored with the planes....
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Duckman999 View Post

You guys thinkgreat planes G5 is a decent sim for practicing heli stuff? I'm bored with the planes....
Its a pretty good tool if you use it as one... I do see people getting bored real quick with it if they are "just flying around in circles" ...lol

SK
Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 AM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Originally Posted by Duckman999 View Post

I think G5 is a video game. I see far more favorable reviews for Phoenix as far as realistic heli flight. Why not use a sim as a tool, as it's meant to be and go with something free like FMS. Then spend money on your heli, not a sim. Realflight is like Windows, as soon as you get the latest, all your hardware is too old/slow and you have to buy the latest hardware just to run it.

Of course, if you already have the latest gaming computer and want the G5 for the game aspect, then go for it.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:57 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post
I think G5 is a video game. I see far more favorable reviews for Phoenix as far as realistic heli flight. Why not use a sim as a tool, as it's meant to be and go with something free like FMS. Then spend money on your heli, not a sim. Realflight is like Windows, as soon as you get the latest, all your hardware is too old/slow and you have to buy the latest hardware just to run it.

Of course, if you already have the latest gaming computer and want the G5 for the game aspect, then go for it.
Realflight seems to need too many system resources to run decently, its pretty buggy really... you can have a very high end system and it still be jerky, where as a good program (from a design standpoint) like Aerofly runs on pretty much anything... and looks pretty much the same....

Aerofly (pro deluxe) is pretty good, some heli's feel too easy, some feel too goofy... (I think it's just the setup on them) the planes feel ok...

FSone is crappy, however it's prob the best I've seen at recreating the bounce in foamy's... (wings bend and flex) and those prob fly more realistic....

Realflight (besides the jerking on some systems) feels ok, still a little too easy for some heli's... Seems like the blades don't "flex" any... so they don't feel as real as they could... but for heli's they still feel the best of the three I've tried...

I haven't tryied phoenix yet, so I don't know how it does...

Haven't tried XTR either

sims tried (realfight 4.5, Aeroflyprodelux, Fsone) I would assume the newer versions of each of those programs may be better, I would actually like to test the Newer Aerofly 5....

Sim's are best used as a tool... otherwise they are a waste of money... flying in circles and trying out different planes/heli's will loose its "fun factor" after about 10-20 minutes....

SK
Old 12-31-2009, 06:18 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

From Video's I've seen, Phoenix seems to be the most impressive on heli's... it seems to handle things like auto's fairly correctly, and having blades rps change a little on some manuvers.... I may have to get my hands on a copy...

it's alot cheaper than RF if you only want to use your current tx...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=RTM2500

SK
Old 01-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Old Sloppy

I have RealFlight 4.5 and I am quite pleased.
No, it is not a "video game" the video quality is impressive.
You can turn it "down" if you have an older slow computer and it will run just fine.
I have an old/slow computer in my basement that runs RF 4.5.

You can turn it "up" if you have the latest powerhouse computer, graphics are stunning & the frame rate is over 100 fps(way over).
I have a newer powerhouse in my bedroom that runs RF 4.5

Tower Hobbies offers five "add on packs" free to download any time you want. (yes, all five of them)

I haven't tried any other flight sims, but I can't imagine them getting close to RF 4.5 (you get what you pay for)
Harry