What happened to the DOW blue foam? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

What happened to the DOW blue foam?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Don, these tips work for me. #1 if you haven't mastered the removal of the film in large sections, just take a piece of masking tape and lay it about an inch over the part that didn't peel. Rub the tape down then lift it up. It will pull the film with it. That way you don't end up with a bunch of gouges from trying to restart those sections.

#2, I don't peel the film off at a joint. Mark where the joint is, and on the part with the film on it, take a large hat pin or tooth pick and poke some holes through the film and partially into the foam. The glue can then penetrate the film and adhere to the foam.

I've built 20 pound, 9 1/2 FOOT w/s birds this way and never had a failure, so I doubt you will with a smaller version.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:38 AM
amt

Glacier Girl:
Thanks for getting back with information so soon. I take from what you said that some times you leave the covering on the foam and just glue through the holes. If that is the case. Is there any real reason to remove the film at all? It seems the foam was stronger before I removed the film. I was looking at several build threads and saw where some people use packing tape and or bass wood instead of carbon fiber rods. I am sure that when I get one of these in the air and get to fly it, I will be flying and building more.
Thanks for the information.
Anything that you or anyone else can think of that I should know or links to read or watch will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for the quick response and great information.
Don
Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

There are different schools of thought on this. It really depends on application. Read more here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54917
Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 AM
amt

Philipa 240sx:
Thanks again for your quick and informative response.

Don
Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Don, as Philipa 240sx posted it's a matter of choice and what you are doing with the foam as to whether to leave the film on or not.

And as for the use of basswood/packing tape vs CF. Again a lot of the time it's the same thing.

Tip for ya. Poor man's CF rods. Check out the local thrift stores for umbrellas. Often they use 1/8" fiberglass rods for the tensioning rods on the fabric.

You can get several good lengths of strong rods from them, usually for a couple of bucks.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:20 PM
amt

Glacier Girl:
Thanks for the information.
Don
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

By the way, folk: cost. Try calculating the cost per unit square area of one foam source to another to see what's more effective. Around Chicagoland I can't find anything but Owens-Corning Pink insulation foam either in fan-fold or in the thicker sheets (Foamular). There are other sources for construction materials, but everything else is more expensive. All the paper-sided stuff has to be peeled to use it, the Depron and Cellfoam 88 is much more expensive, and nothing else (balsa, stick-n-tissue, yada yada) will do. So, Pink it is.