L-39 Albatros from Hobbyking - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

L-39 Albatros from Hobbyking

Old 05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Catalina

Default L-39 Albatros from Hobbyking

Hi, Want to progress to an electric Ducted fan jet and found this one on the HK website.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Jet_Plug-n-Fly

Has anybody got this one from HK? What i want to know is is it actually quality? I cant afford the big brand planes. Or what else do you guys recommend?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
sinker49

Default Quality?

Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
Hi, Want to progress to an electric Ducted fan jet and found this one on the HK website.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Jet_Plug-n-Fly

Has anybody got this one from HK? What i want to know is is it actually quality? I cant afford the big brand planes. Or what else do you guys recommend?
It seems to have issues with The Fan /Motor selection.I would see if it would be feaseable to upgrade those or consider another plane IMHO
Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Catalina

Originally Posted by sinker49 View Post
It seems to have issues with The Fan /Motor selection.I would see if it would be feaseable to upgrade those or consider another plane IMHO
Yeah, I saw that too, but other people said they had no issues at all. Maybe people going at 100% throttle the whole time has overheating problems. I am open for anything better at about the same price range.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 PM
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

As much as you'd be spending on that plane along with shipping, might be a good idea to go with the tried and true Phase 3 EF-16...

http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...mnumber=107312
Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Catalina

Well, I purchased one anyway and will see how it goes. Most people seem happy with the hobbyking version of the l-39. Would like to hear from somebody who owns one.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Catalina

Well, I purchased one anyway and will see how it goes. Most people seem happy with the hobbyking version of the l-39. Would like to hear from somebody who owns one.
Well, flew the L-39 the other day and it was fantastic. Good and bad points below:

Good:
Quality build and parts (hinges etc, magnets on canopy)
Flys great
Enough power on stock brushless setup.
Servo's seem good.
Well packed from hobbyking.

Bad:
Brittle foam
No cog in manual

I added the larger 1750 battery. I also added 2 big wood screws at the back to try and balance it but it was still way too nose heavy. Have now moved battery 2 inches back (had to cut away lots of foam) and will let you know if this improves things.

Long ground roll on take off I am assuming due to the small wing span. It is my first jet after all.
All in all very happy. I also put larger diam wheels on for grass takeoffs which worked well.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 AM
babylon5

A friend purchase the L-39 kit . Comes with a China made cheapo 4.8KV motor and a cheapo 40amps ESC and a 64mm EDF
During the maiden ,used a very good new 2200mah 3S 30C lipo, less than 30 second motor cut in mid flight.
Plane landed . Further test show the current suck by this setup is 52amps.

Just and advice check out the current with a higher capacity lipo like at least a 3200mah or higher and a 60 amps ESC before deciding what lipo capacity and ESC to be used.

Our conclusion is that the 4.8KV motor is not suitable for 3S lipo setup.
It is a serious mismatch between motor and fan loading ...and I doubt very much the motor can handle 40amps let alone 50 over amps.

Better to change to a better fan & ESC unit combo or request a lower KV motor(3.9-4.3Kv). On motor use out runner.

Most China made inrunner run hot on the 64mm EDF and I have burn up a few of them.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 AM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Yup 4800Kv is way too high, but I dont think the original FMS L39 came with this motor, could be HC got old stock or odd stock being cleared, it happened with HC and RC-Lander, Lander offloaded all the 3900Kv fans and ARF kits to HC to get rid of them as the dealers wouldnt touch them.

I have supplied quite a few GWS fans for the FMS 64mm jets including the L39, we run our ERC2445 inrunner in them, 680g thrust on 3 cells at around 25A and over a kilo of thrust on 4 cells at 36-40A.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Catalina

Originally Posted by babylon5 View Post
A friend purchase the L-39 kit . Comes with a China made cheapo 4.8KV motor and a cheapo 40amps ESC and a 64mm EDF
During the maiden ,used a very good new 2200mah 3S 30C lipo, less than 30 second motor cut in mid flight.
Plane landed . Further test show the current suck by this setup is 52amps.

Just and advice check out the current with a higher capacity lipo like at least a 3200mah or higher and a 60 amps ESC before deciding what lipo capacity and ESC to be used.

Our conclusion is that the 4.8KV motor is not suitable for 3S lipo setup.
It is a serious mismatch between motor and fan loading ...and I doubt very much the motor can handle 40amps let alone 50 over amps.

Better to change to a better fan & ESC unit combo or request a lower KV motor(3.9-4.3Kv). On motor use out runner.

Most China made inrunner run hot on the 64mm EDF and I have burn up a few of them.

Cheers
Well thats totally different to my setup. Mine came with a 64mm same as you, a 30A ESC, and when I put watt meter at full stick it only reached 26 Amps or so. Motor goes well but is not overly powerful.
Did you also get yours from hobbyking or from somewhere else?
Also with that much bigger battery, you would have had more of an issue with cog than me.
What upgraded motor/fan kits are other people putting on theirs?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM
babylon5

Well thats totally different to my setup. Mine came with a 64mm same as you, a 30A ESC, and when I put watt meter at full stick it only reached 26 Amps or so. Motor goes well but is not overly powerful.
Did you also get yours from hobbyking or from somewhere else?
Also with that much bigger battery, you would have had more of an issue with cog than me.
What upgraded motor/fan kits are other people putting on theirs?
I think the difference is in the motor KV.
3.9KV to 4Kv will give you around 26Amps on a typical 5blade 64mm EDF.

cheers
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
babylon5

Originally Posted by ExtremeRC View Post
Yup 4800Kv is way too high, but I dont think the original FMS L39 came with this motor, could be HC got old stock or odd stock being cleared, it happened with HC and RC-Lander, Lander offloaded all the 3900Kv fans and ARF kits to HC to get rid of them as the dealers wouldnt touch them.

I have supplied quite a few GWS fans for the FMS 64mm jets including the L39, we run our ERC2445 inrunner in them, 680g thrust on 3 cells at around 25A and over a kilo of thrust on 4 cells at 36-40A.

Hi Extreme RC, I have check your website with regards to the GWS EDF testing.
Sorry for being skeptical .... i have my doubt with regard to the GWS 64mm 6blade fan ability to survive running over 40,000rpm let alone 49,200rpm in the 4cells setup.
Are you sure the blade can withstand indefinite period of time with that high rpm? I had a fair of broken 64mm EDF from GWS running a lot lower than the 49,200rpm.

Are the blade any different .I bought the 64mm GWS EDF about a year ago.
Just hope you can clear my doubt.

Cheers