What plane for this motor? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

What plane for this motor?

Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 AM
Catalina

Default What plane for this motor?

This time its the other way round. Bought a motor for my new TB-20 but it is too big. I want to use this motor in a plane of some description. I am having troubles finding what I want.
Things that are a must are:
  1. It has to be a park flyer, foamy is preference.
  2. Weight of plane to be around 600g to 1000g.
  3. has to run on 3s lipo.
  4. has to be under $100
I already have a 40A speed controller for it as well.

This is the motor:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=3885

This is one plane I am thinking about:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7214

I am open for any suggestion. It is a sweet motor and I would love to use it on the correct model.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
This time its the other way round. Bought a motor for my new TB-20 but it is too big. I want to use this motor in a plane of some description. I am having troubles finding what I want.
Things that are a must are:
  1. It has to be a park flyer, foamy is preference.
  2. Weight of plane to be around 600g to 1000g.
  3. has to run on 3s lipo.
  4. has to be under $100
I already have a 40A speed controller for it as well.

This is the motor:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=3885

This is one plane I am thinking about:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7214

I am open for any suggestion. It is a sweet motor and I would love to use it on the correct model.
That motor you listed will be perfect for the Hellcat you also listed,
look at the information on the motor page to give you a idea of the prop and liop to use, Take care, Chellie

Looks like a 8X6 prop will work great on that motor with about 350 Watts

More static WOT data (taken at 10 secs with UH 2200 20-30c 3 cell lipo & 40 amp ESC) for APC thin electric props
6 x 4 14.5 amps 160 watts
7 x 5 24 amps 252 watts
7 x 6 27 amps 278 watts
8 x 4 29 amps 297 watts
8 x 6 35 amps 350 watts

Here you are some data measured with Eagle-Tree e-logger:

7x4, lipo 3S, 27.8A, 294Watts
8x6, lipo 3S, 34.8A, 347Watts

Mikko Viinikainen (%) 6 thumbs up!This is great motor to my 750g hellcat. very powerful and good guality
Old 09-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Catalina

Thanks Chellie,
I usually have the plane first then look for an appropriate motor. This is certainly the biggest motor I have purchased to date. Its more fun looking for the correct plane to go with it.
Have you flown any of the old warbirds like this one? I hear they get a bit of torque roll when used with the larger props. They just look fantastic too. The spitfire etc are too light I think for this motor. The hellcat just scraps through on weight.
Thanks again. I hope those prowlers arent giving you any grief again. I was reading about that the other day.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:08 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

that motor works good on a funjet on 4s 1500mah-1800mah with a apc 6x5.5e prop, around 110mph...

SK
Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks Chellie,
I usually have the plane first then look for an appropriate motor. This is certainly the biggest motor I have purchased to date. Its more fun looking for the correct plane to go with it.
Have you flown any of the old warbirds like this one? I hear they get a bit of torque roll when used with the larger props. They just look fantastic too. The spitfire etc are too light I think for this motor. The hellcat just scraps through on weight.
Thanks again. I hope those prowlers arent giving you any grief again. I was reading about that the other day.
the prowlers came back 3 nights in a row, the first time they Laced some raw meat and fed it to my 2 big dogs to neutralize them, the dogs threw up the meat later that morning and are fine now, thats the part that really makes me mad, I had to add another motion light on the side of my house where there is a side garage door, I think they were trying to get into my garage then maybe the house, I have a 300 gallon tank of emergency water up against the small door, so it cant be opened thats 8lb X 300 gallons = 2400LBs of water I put that E Water Tank there just for that Reason.

The war birds are a bit touchy i have had a mustang and corsair and yea they like to torque roll to the left, what I do is use a big finish nail, and stick it into the right wing to make the right side wing a little heavier, the extra weight off sets the torque, and the plane flies great, i did that with my funjet too, it really helped to remove the torque roll, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Catalina

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
that motor works good on a funjet on 4s 1500mah-1800mah with a apc 6x5.5e prop, around 110mph...

SK
Yeah, that looks good. Multiplex planes are excellent. Already have a minimag and twinstar 2. Did the motor bolt straight up with no hassels or was there a bit of mucking around to make it fit. Also it it too heavy for this plane?
I would only stick to 3 cell lipo on this plane. Should I go for a bigger prop. i.e 7x6 on the 3 cell.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Yeah, that looks good. Multiplex planes are excellent. Already have a minimag and twinstar 2. Did the motor bolt straight up with no hassels or was there a bit of mucking around to make it fit. Also it it too heavy for this plane?
I would only stick to 3 cell lipo on this plane. Should I go for a bigger prop. i.e 7x6 on the 3 cell.
Yes, it would need a bigger prop, although I'd hate to handlaunch a pusher with such a big prop...

the mount bolted up fine, but it needed a slight carving inside to make sure the motor wires never touch the bell...

with the 4cell setup, it's very light...

SK
Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Catalina

Yes, it would need a bigger prop, although I'd hate to handlaunch a pusher with such a big prop...

the mount bolted up fine, but it needed a slight carving inside to make sure the motor wires never touch the bell...

with the 4cell setup, it's very light...

SK
Question for you, how do you land this plane on its belly without snapping the prop? Surely the prop will hit the ground when belly landed.
Do you need a special pusher prop? Or will a normal prop surfice?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:37 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Question for you, how do you land this plane on its belly without snapping the prop? Surely the prop will hit the ground when belly landed.
Do you need a special pusher prop? Or will a normal prop surfice?
normal prop is fine, (numbers on prop face front of plane)

Just slow it down and glide it in, cut power just before landing...

SK
Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Catalina

normal prop is fine, (numbers on prop face front of plane)

Just slow it down and glide it in, cut power just before landing...

SK
Well I think you have convinced me. The funjet it is. My first flying wing. I saw the funjey ultra as well. Not going to pay the extra for that. Also the twin jet, but I think this is discontinued.
I will run that motor with a 7x6 prop and 40A ESC and Rhino 3S 1750 bat. Hopefully this will give it enough power. Is there a danger of handlaunching this plane with my sized prop do you think?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:45 AM
Catalina

Havent bought anything yet. Do you think the motor will go with 7x6 prop on this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10519

Love the EPP unbreakable quotes.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Havent bought anything yet. Do you think the motor will go with 7x6 prop on this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10519

Love the EPP unbreakable quotes.
on a 3cell and a 8x6 you should be fine... it's a 3d ish plane so you generally want more power than nessicary...

the 1100kv version of that motor might have been more appropiate due to wanting a larger prop...

SK
Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Catalina

on a 3cell and a 8x6 you should be fine... it's a 3d ish plane so you generally want more power than nessicary...

the 1100kv version of that motor might have been more appropiate due to wanting a larger prop...

SK
Thanks steve, I am not interested in 3d flying but am I right in thinking that this plane will still be ok to fly aerobatically? Have never purchased anything like it before.
Will the 1100kv option on a bigger prop fly the same as my motor with a smaller prop? I am after some speed and just generally good flying characteristics.
In general, i dont want to buy another motor, just want to use the one i already have due to money reasons.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Thanks steve, I am not interested in 3d flying but am I right in thinking that this plane will still be ok to fly aerobatically? Have never purchased anything like it before.
Will the 1100kv option on a bigger prop fly the same as my motor with a smaller prop? I am after some speed and just generally good flying characteristics.
In general, i dont want to buy another motor, just want to use the one i already have due to money reasons.
Hi
Looks like a nice aircraft
Do enjoy
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNMyHxkQk4w&feature=channel[/media]
Take care
Hank
Old 10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

yes, with the smaller prop it should be very aerobatic... I'm sure you'll like it...

SK
Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Catalina

yes, with the smaller prop it should be very aerobatic... I'm sure you'll like it...

SK
Thanks ministeve? what happened to big steve?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Thanks ministeve? what happened to big steve?
hehe... they told me it was a family friendy board... and I'm supposed to leave him in my pants... LOL

SK