Turnigy 9x Transmitter flaperon set up HELP - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Turnigy 9x Transmitter flaperon set up HELP

Old 11-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Catalina

Default Turnigy 9x Transmitter flaperon set up HELP

Hi, there have been thousands and thousands of these units sold around the world so I am hoping sombody can help me with my set up problem.

I am trying to set up flaperons on some of my aircraft. I have successfully set up the two independant servos to operate the indivialdual ailerons but can not get the correct settings for flap control. Worked out how to assign it to switch. In aux-ch, set Ch 6 to Thro hold.
This sets Top left switch.

Basically I want a switch to switch between no flaps (normal aileron control), and flaps down for landing (not sure what percentage of flaps I need here but it will be trial and error, using 50% at the moment).

At the moment I have gotten as far as getting the switch set to operate flaps but my problem is that at the moment all I have is in one position of the switch the flaps are up at 50%, then in the other position of the switch, flaps down 50%.
I cant seem to get flaps OFF at one position of the switch, then flaps down 50% at the other position of the switch which is what I am after. Settings are as follows in the flaperons menu:

AIL1: -100 -100
AIL2: -100 -100
FLP 1: -50
FLP 2: +50

If anybody can give me some help it would be great.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Not familiar with that Tx, Cat. Is the programming similar to either JR or Futaba?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Catalina

Sorry, I have no idea about those two. I think I need help from somebody who owns this model or the other versions like FlySky, Turnigy, Imax, Eurgle. They all have the same firmware.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 AM
TbigD

What happens if you set flap 1 from -50 to 0 ?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM
mesh

Try post #15 in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151590
I seem to remember that's how I got it working, but I don't have that model memory any longer, so I can't check it.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... as OP knows - I've been working on this question for days now and we have been corresponding to try and fix ..

The only way I can get Flaperon to have Flaps 0 - 50% - 100% without going negative ( that's UP as spoilers ) is to halve the settings on Flaperons ... make all -50, +50 respectively.

You then set servos as centred as normal with arms as usual BUT with the Flaps control fully one way ... so in effect physically NOT electronically you are making flap control only go to 0. It means that you will have to sort aileron surface movement by control rods and where clevis is in the horn ...

But now you will have Flaps knob ... front left going from 0 through to max deflection and still have 1/2 servo travel left to allow aileron action either way without hitting stops in servos ....

Does that make sense ?

Sorry - no luck with getting the Idle 1 / Idle 2 switch to do it ... pity !
Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Catalina

Originally Posted by mesh View Post
Try post #15 in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151590
I seem to remember that's how I got it working, but I don't have that model memory any longer, so I can't check it.
Thanks Mesh,
OK, here is what I have found in another forum. I have tried it and it works fine. Read as follows:

Flaperons as such do NOT work using the flaperon function, however, it dose make the ailerons work on CH1 & 6 which it is ment to do.
What we have done is use the AileronDifferential on Ch1 & 7 & set up as follows.

Here is what I found.
To make a simple FLAPERONS for a two servo wing use the following.
AILDIFF
STATE ACT
AIL1 000 -000
AIL2 -100 -100

AIRBREAKE
AIRBREABE SW (OFF)
STATE ACT
AIL1 050
AIL2 -050
FLAP 050

I/we have found that the F.Mode switch workes to switch in the flaperons.

This is now what I am using for flaperons. Looks like the flaperon function is not quite good enough. But this mod works well. Now to fly and test with flaps for the first time.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

AILDIFF
STATE ACT
AIL1 000 -000
AIL2 -100 -100

AIRBREAKE
AIRBREABE SW (OFF)
STATE ACT
AIL1 050
AIL2 -050
FLAP 050
Fails on mine to give proper working ... but if you change settings to :

AILDIFF
STATE ACT
AIL1 50 50
AIL2 -50 -50

AIRBREAKE
AIRBREABE SW (OFF)
STATE ACT
AIL1 050
AIL2 -050
FLAP 050

Then it does .. but still you have the 3 position F switch only giving full flap at mid switch position.

I've made a youtube vid of the designed factory way of doing it ... after long hours at it - only way I see it can be done based on factory default to the rotary knob front left ( Pit Trim ) ...

I'm hoping to put together various items of programming / auxiliary on this radio in video form .. a sort of How to Series ...

I also feel the solution of airbrake / aileron differential is a cheat-around instead of being a correct method.

I prefer the left front knob actually as I fly Mode 2, with both primary controls on right stick ( elevator / aileron ) ... so having flap control on left means I can lift left hand to operate without losing control of model ... plus the control if you set it as I show - gives fully proportional Flap control from normal zero setting to full down. I feel a sudden full flap only solution is not ideal. Watch a full size airliner come in ( when you're a passenger .. ) the pilot winds out his flaps in stages as his speed and descent changes ...

I had a P51 ( Royal Kit ) back in 80's ... I soon changed from bang bang flaps to proportional .. I had balloning of model when deployed due to the sudden increase in lift ! Changing to proportional slider control on my JR Propo made it much better and controlled.