VTOL depron JET - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

VTOL depron JET

Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
MarkAntony

Default VTOL depron JET

Have you ever wanted to fly your fun-jet in a place with no landing room for a safe landing? For exemple on a very high mountain with a beautiful vista, or from a bridge? My idea was to build a light jet with common 6mm depron with KF-4 airfoil. So you say? where's the breakthrough?

Well, said jet would have 4 micromotors in the middle acting like a quad.
I will use 4 10gr HK motors, with 3-bladed 5x3 props in the center. They will be controlled with a special quadrocopter board.

There will be a 5th motor, much larger Microdan 2505 2810kv (40 grams) and capable of 300W to propel it to 80-90is mph for fun flying.
all in all there will be only 100grams of extra weight from the motors, controllerboard and 4 6A speed controls.
I will loose a bit of lift in the center, but I should still have plenty left from the outboard wings.

This is the drawing and some of the pieces ready for cnc cutting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vtol7.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	142115   Click image for larger version

Name:	vtol8.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	142116  
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
MarkAntony

the middle layer of the plane has been cut out .
On to cutting fiberglass motor mounts.

Name:	VertiJet.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	142183  
Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Insomniac

Looks very interesting. I'm curious as to how the stationary quad-copter props will affect the flight when flying forward. Keep us updated!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Looks very interesting, and I look forward to your progress.

I'm working on something VTO as well. But landing will be normal, unless you count a hard pull up and plop down as a "normal" landing. I call it the Starviper.

I will stand on it's tail for lift off, and uses a single 2212-6 2200kv motor for propulsion.

Name:	Nico Hobbies Starviper Build Pics 001.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	142221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nico Hobbies Starviper Build Pics 002.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	142222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nico Hobbies Starviper Build Pics 003.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	142223  
Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 AM
MarkAntony

interesting design of yours too...

This is the progress of my Jump-Jet (or Verti-Jet??).

Name:	VertiJet4.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	142224   Click image for larger version

Name:	VertiJet5.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	142225   Click image for larger version

Name:	VertiJet6.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	142226  
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by MarkAntony View Post
interesting design of yours too...

This is the progress of my Jump-Jet (or Verti-Jet??).
Very interesting I Like it Hope it turns out well for you, Take care, Chellie
Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
MarkAntony

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Very interesting I Like it Hope it turns out well for you, Take care, Chellie

Thank you for your words of appreciation , the fun is also in the designing and learning process. It's all for fun and leasure-time.

Tony.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Great project.

I guess it will be challenge, what with all the extra airframe and hardware compared to a standard quadrocopter, to keep the model's weight light enough, so that the four fans can lift it in hover mode. And if that can be achieved still have a large enough battery for reasonable flight time. Modern batteries and brushless motors make stuff possible that would have been a pipe dream not so long ago.

I'm very curious as to how you will control it. There will be two separate flight modes.. One when it's flying like any normal plane where you will be controlling throttle to the pusher motor and you will have the other channels operating ailerons/elevators, just like a normal plane.. Then you need to seamlessly transition into hovering flight where all the controls carry out entirely different functions Other than having two totally independent transmitters/receivers systems, each dedicated to one flight mode, then I cant even imagine how you will do it I'm sure you have something clever in mind... You might have to grow a couple of extra thumbs

Steve
Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
MarkAntony

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Great project.

I guess it will be challenge, what with all the extra airframe and hardware compared to a standard quadrocopter, to keep the model's weight light enough, so that the four fans can lift it in hover mode. And if that can be achieved still have a large enough battery for reasonable flight time. Modern batteries and brushless motors make stuff possible that would have been a pipe dream not so long ago.

I'm very curious as to how you will control it. There will be two separate flight modes.. One when it's flying like any normal plane where you will be controlling throttle to the pusher motor and you will have the other channels operating ailerons/elevators, just like a normal plane.. Then you need to seamlessly transition into hovering flight where all the controls carry out entirely different functions Other than having two totally independent transmitters/receivers systems, each dedicated to one flight mode, then I cant even imagine how you will do it I'm sure you have something clever in mind... You might have to grow a couple of extra thumbs

Steve
Actually I will use a controller board for the quad, which lets me use channels 1-4 to control: ch1: left-right cyclic, ch2: Fwd-Aft cyclic, ch3: throttle, ch4: yaw.

If you notice I have used a regular elevator instead of elevons mixing to avoid ch2 signals when operating the aileron /left-right cyclic.

This way I can mix ch1-ch6 for flaperon for the 2 ailerons, and use a y splitter on ch1 & ch2, so the ailerons and the quad controls will be working just fine at the same time I control che quadrocopter, all I have to pay attention to is to trim the ailerons mechanically to be matching the quad's trims, otherwise upon transition I will have to trim every time the quad or the plane.

I will use ch5 rotary pot for the pusher engine throttle.

It would be nice to modify the radio with an extra throttle stick so I could play with them at the same time with my left hand.

I will have to look at the Futaba 9cap manual to see if I can do elevon mixing and still mix ch2 to ch7 or ch6 and then plug the quad controller board to this mixed channel instead of ch2.
That way I would save the elevator servo and linkage.

P.S. it looks like it can be done. So I will try that , mixing elevator and flaps and I can just plug the controller board ch2 input into the slave flap channel.
This can also be trimmed using the offset function.
Throttle can be mixed with needle valve mixing function that would allow curves so I could set a curve like this: 20% of the pusher motor throttle does nothing to the quad's throttle, 40% lowers the quad's throttle by 20%, 60% lowers it by 50% , 80% lowers it 100%, 100% keeps it lowered by 100%.

This way I can raise the pusher's throttle slowly, going to full in 4-5 seconds, and the quad will turn off, then I have all my time to lower the master throttle stick while flying the wing.

To land, turn the pusher off and glide the plane in, before stalling, quickly bring the master stick to 50-60% (hovering level).

Last edited by MarkAntony; 01-23-2011 at 03:20 PM.