This is worse than the ones that come with chargers! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

This is worse than the ones that come with chargers!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Default This is worse than the ones that come with chargers!

My new Jeti Advance Pro ESC came in the mail today and I took out the instruction manual to see what the differences were between it and the brushed ESC I put in my Easy Star.

Can anyone here direct me to a good "Brushless ESC's For Dummies" page? I am totally lost!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

They only work with brushless motors, for a start.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

A brushed ESC has two wires for the motor and a brushless has three wires. What is it you are trying to understand?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Here ya go FlyWheel, hope this helps

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...te/faqesc/Page
Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 AM
FlyWheel

It's the programming procedure that has me boggled - setting the cut off voltage, brake, type of battery, insignifigant stuff like that...
Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Insomniac

Well, I can't speak for that ESC in particular, you generally turn the model on with the throttle stick at max, to enter programming mode on most ESCs. Then you've gotta listen to the number of beeps specified in the manual to get to a particular option, and lower the throttle stick to zero... then listen for the number of beeps that corresponds to a certain setting, and raise the throttle again. Play around with it and you'll get the idea, but take the prop off in case you accidently exit programming mode!

Also, the ESC generally uses the motor itself as a rudimentry speaker, so you have to connect one if you're going to program it via the beeps.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

What he said. Hopefully the instructions make sense now. Some ESCs only allow you to program one thing (soft/hard; brake on/off) and some allow you to set up a ton of stuff, but it's just a process of following the beeps and moving the sticks.

If you mess up, you can always start over.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
offtom
Megans Servant

For when you get tired of trying to figure out which set of beeps is for what purpose.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jeti_adva...ogram_card.htm

The aviation modelers version of "ESC programming for dummies."
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Insomniac

Yeah, programming cards are brilliant. I mean, programming with the beeps is quite easy, but a lapse in concentration can make you mess up and have to start over. I love my Turnigy card, and that one for your esc should work just as well.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:02 PM
FlyWheel

Thanks, when the motor comes in I'll try what y'all said, or else order the programming card (is it a worthwhile investment?). It's probably quite simple, it's just the instructions are worded (translated) so bad.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Pretty straight forward programming once you get the hang of it, a lot of esc's use the same style.

#1 Power up the tx, throttle up to full.

#2 Esc plugged into your rx,(add a flight pack too if your esc doesn't have a bec) Plug in flight battery. Also motor has to be connected, as that's where the tones come from.

#3 Esc/motor after 5 seconds will emit 4 beeps, confirming it is in programming mode.

#4 Esc will now play a constant loop of beeps. Beep, beep beep, beep beep beep, and so on to around 5 sets. Each one is the first step to a certain programming option.
Like beep is for motor brake on/off, beep beep for cell count, beep beep beep for cut off, etc. Note this is just for example, see you instructions for what is what.

#5 When you know which of those beeps you need, we'll use beep=brake, soon as you hear the first beep, move the throttle stick down to mid point. This puts you into the brake mode programming part. Again with the beeps. You'll get multiple beeps for brake settings. And they keep repeating until you pick one. Like beep for on, beep beep for off. Pick the one you want and soon as you hear the correct beep sequence, move the stick back up to full throttle. Normally you'll get a confirmation tone that it has been set.

#6 After that, the esc goes right back to the original set of programming option beeps.
Again brake, cell count, cut off, etc. Beep, beep beep, beep beep beep, etc.
If you wish to change something else now that you set the brake, just wait for the correct set of beeps, and move the stick to mid throttle to go into it's sub menu for that item.

If/when you are done programming, move the throttle stick to off. The esc will come out of programming and should then arm.

I did a quick search on the Jeti, looks like very basic changes only with using the tx method. And they show two programming cards, one allows a little bit more additional programming, and the second one will let you access everything.

A tip, with garbled instructions. Find the main menu list and write it down. List beep= x, beep beep= xx, etc.
Below that list out your sub menus for each. Beep one in main menu has beep =x in sub menu, beep beep=xx, and so on.

Get the esc into programing and read your menu instead of trying to read the garbled version.

Here's a great video on how to stick program a Turnigy esc, should give you a better idea of what you need to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj7yLk41kwY

Last edited by Glacier Girl; 03-04-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM
FlyWheel

OK, not that makes it a lot more clear more clear, thanks GG!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

The programming via sticks, when you've never done it, and with the gibberish that claims to be instructions can be very daunting at first. It can be done-I've done it.
Having done it a few times---I'll never, EVER, do it again. It sucks.
Get a program card or a PC based ESC. Don't look back.
I won't buy the stick program type anymore. Boycott 'em out of existence I say.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:47 PM
FlyWheel

Question about the programming card: Is this something that connects with the ESC? Or to my PC? Connects the ESC to the PC?

From what I hear the card is not only easier but gives me mre options. Well, I know it give more options the instructions were clear on that, at least (it is a seperate purchase, after all ).

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2011, 03:33 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

The esc servo lead plugs into the programmer card. Plug the pack into the esc.

If the esc doesn't have a built in bec, you plug an rx pack into the second set of pins on the programming card, they are marked, one for esc, the other for aux battery.

Dependent on the style card used, there are two styles.

On one you have a column of settings, with a row of lights beside each one. Above the lights is the options for each. When plugged in, one light will light in each row to show you the current settings. At the bottom, are several buttons used to navigate to what ever setting you wish to change, and to select the new option.

Once set, unplug all and you are good to go.

Second type uses jumpers on the card to change settings. Move the jumpers to the settings you want, plug in the esc and power it up. Power down and you are done.

This is the type Jeti uses.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

JETI Programming card

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jeti_adva...ogram_card.htm

Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 AM
FlyWheel

Hobby Lobby is where I ordered it from, Chellie. That's also where the motor, mount and ESC were bought.

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl 10:33 PM 04-02-2011
The esc servo lead plugs into the programmer card. Plug the pack into the esc.
"Servo lead"? You mean the receiver lead right? I hope so because there are no servo leads that I know of on the ESC, just two for the battery, three for the motor and the three wire/prong plug for the receiver.
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl
If the esc doesn't have a built in bec, you plug an rx pack into the second set of pins on the programming card, they are marked, one for esc, the other for aux battery.
The Jeti Advance 12 does have a built in BEC, I made sure of that! I wish it had a motor arming switch too, but alas, no (the Jeti brushed ESC in my EZ* does, I wonder why this one doesnt?).
Dependent on the style card used, there are two styles.

On one you have a column of settings, with a row of lights beside each one. Above the lights is the options for each. When plugged in, one light will light in each row to show you the current settings. At the bottom, are several buttons used to navigate to what ever setting you wish to change, and to select the new option.
Once set, unplug all and you are good to go.

Second type uses jumpers on the card to change settings. Move the jumpers to the settings you want, plug in the esc and power it up.

Power down and you are done.
The picture on the H-L page that I ordered from looks like the second type you described, with the jumpers. But the picture is to small to tell for sure, and the specs don't say either way, so they may have used the same picture for both. I'll know when it gets here. Thanks for the heads up and directions for both, I don't even need to see the cards to understand how to work them (have you ever though of a career in instruction writing? )
This is the type Jeti uses.
Thanks GG. I feel a great and unnecessarily complex weight has been lifted.

Now, does anyone know if/how I can make it play Those Magnificent Men (And Their Flying Machines on power up?

Posted via Mobile Device