Hi, want to find the best cheapie camera for plane - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Hi, want to find the best cheapie camera for plane

Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Catalina

Default Hi, want to find the best cheapie camera for plane

Hi,
Want to start recording video from my planes. At the start I want to just find a nice cheap camera that has on board memory so I can just velco the camera under a wing etc and download to a PC when I get home.
As I am just starting I would like to know if anybody has found a good one.
All Im after is good frame rates and sound.

I was looking at this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=11867

Cheap but is it just crap? I would rather pay a bit more for a good picture but it has to be resonably easy to use/download.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

For what you want it is probably your best bet.

Hillbille
Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Here is a link to "hat cam" footage I shot with a keychain cam.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_W24l9AuQ0[/media]

It is a video of a CMP C-160 Transall I was maidening. The thread link is here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55127

Just in case you want to see the whole post.

Hillbille
Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Here is an "onboard" video shot of me flying my Superfly. The camera was stuck to the very front point of the Superfly via velcro and then launched. There is no dampning of the camera nor is the sound muffled. It is what it is.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gh9OBJIjwQ[/media]

The beginning is kinda goofy as I started the cam FIRST and then connected and control checked pre launch! LOL!! Bear with it and you'll see what video from this cam is like from a fairly good flying plane!!

Chellie should love it!! Original "Delta" Superfly!!

Hillbille
Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
Here is an "onboard" video shot of me flying my Superfly. The camera was stuck to the very front point of the Superfly via velcro and then launched. There is no dampning of the camera nor is the sound muffled. It is what it is.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gh9OBJIjwQ[/media]

The beginning is kinda goofy as I started the cam FIRST and then connected and control checked pre launch! LOL!! Bear with it and you'll see what video from this cam is like from a fairly good flying plane!!

Chellie should love it!! Original "Delta" Superfly!!

Hillbille
Hi Hillbilly That camera does a great job for you, I bought the 2nd version of the superfly, i think the first original version was much better, I like your flying field Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 PM
wbuttry

well chep isnt gonna give you a good vid at all alot of people use high dollar cams and alot of those suck you want a video cam with a good size lens a big optical sensor catalina also a cam cannot focus good looking into infinty it has got to be able to focus quick on like the ground and clouds alot of cheap cams dont focus at all they are set on one distance and then you cant see nothing past that if you wanna a good cam look for a post from power and read his post and watch his vids he got the rite equipment i just use a flip ultra and as you can tell it is not good for some scenes in my vids go to my post a beautiful day for flying and see what im talking about
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

It all depends on what you want and the lifting capabilities of your plane.
I started with a FlyCamOne2. Fairly simple to use it shoots in 640x480 video but has a feeble built in battery.
Then I bought a very cheap (<$10 delivered!) and light (0.6oz) 'key fob' cam. Despite is small size it shoots the same 640x480 video has good sound and the battery will run for over 30 minutes.
Of course it is not professional quality but it is so small and light it can be put on virtually any plane. This was taken from a tiny 20" 3.5oz plane.Note you loose a bit of quality after being processed by YouTube.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:55 AM
booterspaw
HawkSky Lover

How do you get your video onto a DVD so you can watch it on TV ? I can watch mine on the computer, but not the TV.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by booterspaw View Post
How do you get your video onto a DVD so you can watch it on TV ? I can watch mine on the computer, but not the TV.
Unfortuanetly, it's not cheap. I use the Sony Movie Studio HD Platinum that cost some $99 at Office Depot, with a $30 rebate. This works very well, and also allows you to use a microphone to add voice, or add music or what ever.

This software allows you to put video clips from your digital camera, and mix them with stills from your digital camera, and a lot of other stuff onto a DVD that will play on any DVD player. It provides auto fades between photos and video clips.

I did my sons wedding with it, and also put together a DVD of modeling in general, including building a balsa model, giant scale rocket launches, all sorts of model airplane videos at our club and so on.

Also used Cyberlink Powerdirector that worked OK.

I first tried Microsofts movie stuff with Windows 7, but was not impressed.

As for camera's I also used a tiny "Key Fob" camera purchased on the internet. It put out better video than a $100 video camera that weighs in at 19 ounces! Bought it through a guy in wattflyer that was importing and selling them. Don't know if he still is though.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 PM
aap

I have been very happy with the #11 Key chain camera I got on Ebay for $39.95. The #11 is HD 720P and the latest and greatest of the key chain cameras. My test flight.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61tHJKa8W6Y[/media]
Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Catalina

Wow, this one looks good guys:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17200