The 70"WS Telefoam - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

The 70"WS Telefoam

Old 09-19-2006, 03:00 PM
midoco
slombat!

Talking The 70"WS Telefoam

Hello all,

I completed my Telefoam the other day and wanted to show it off. I started with Telemaster 40 plans, a bunch of depron and an idea. My goal was a sub-40 ounce "40 sized" foamy.

It is built pretty much like a balsa trainer. It has a 6mm depron spar with 6mm ribs... about half as many as the plans called for. The wing is sheeted with 3mm depron. There is no leading edge or trailing edge support except for the sheeting. I left off the goofy wingtips, but I reserve the right to add them on later. This is why the wing is a few inches shorter than the plans called for. The two wing servos are placed pretty far out so that I can add flaps later on if I feel like it, but the flaperons work extremely well.

The fuse is made out of 3mm with 6mm formers (2 less than stock). There are 6mm doublers on the sides from the wing saddle forward. I did this to add strength and weight. I new I was going to be tail heavy. The lifting stab consists of a 6mm bottom and spar with 3mm rolled over the top and sanded. The vertical stab and all control surfaces are 6mm. All control surfaces were over-sized due to the low speeds expected, and my own preferences. I'm also using some home made carbon fiber landing gear.

Here is a list of the equipment:
E-Flite S-75 servos
crummy old JR Rx
MicroDAN 2510-3D motor - http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...products_id=19
11X7 GWS HD prop
Dualsky 18A ESC - http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catal...or-p-1890.html
Dualsky 3s1p 1000 lipo http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catal...ry-p-1954.html I love these batteries!

Keep in mind that the Telemaster 40 weighs 96 ounces and a wing loading of 16oz/square foot. My all up weight came out to 32 ounces with a wing loading of 5oz/square foot!

With right at 1:1 thrust to weight lets just say climbing is not a problem, and she is so stable it's just stupid. Loops, rolls and inverted flight are not a problem. Just cruising around 6' off the ground at low speed is a blast. It doesn't look right having a plane that big fly that slow. And when the flaperons are dropped a bit the tail kicks up and she just crawls through the air. It's one of those planes that's so slow it looks fake. The Telefoam lands so pretty flights never seem to end. Every time I land I have to go back up to do it again... soooo pretty.

Almost forgot... It has lights too. 4 red LED's in the left wingtip, 4 greens in the right. 6 blue ones in the horiz stab and 3 white ones in the front of the fuse. These run off a single 340mah cell. I also have two pots in the fuse to allow me to adjust the brightness of the wing and fuse. If you made it this far thanks for taking the time and I hope you enjoyed the pics.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tfl.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	16970   Click image for larger version

Name:	tfr.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	16971  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Very nice midoco! Would love to see video of it in flight.

Tom
Old 09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Warden

Default Tele

Very nice! Looks like an excellent construction job! Very nice work.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:01 PM
midoco
slombat!

Thanks guys! I don't know if I will be taking any video, but if I do I will post it.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM
midoco
slombat!

Cool more telefoam pics

Took a few more last night after I added some stickers and the wing struts. These give it a little more scale too.

Name:	tfi1.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	17033   Click image for larger version

Name:	tfi2.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	17034   Click image for larger version

Name:	tfi3.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	17035  
Old 09-23-2006, 02:24 PM
[email protected]

what a pretty looking tele.
good idea...great plane work from.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Absolutely gorgeous foamy. You've got my brain working now! I too would love to see it in the air. Good work!

Bob
Old 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
midoco
slombat!

Default Telefoam flight pics

Thanks!

I got a lot of flight time this weekend at a local fly in. It was fairly windy (mostly 10-15+) but the TF did surprisingly well. Vertical take offs and landings were a hoot! Backwards flight was not a problem... even negative speed landings. The tail wheel was basically useless and will probably be removed soon. She flew well inverted and believe it or not would do a little knife edge although it was descending slightly. Below are some pics taken my a friend of mine. I also got some flight video that I should be able to post in a few days. Now I'm thinking about some more big, light planes... anyone have plans for a 60 sized Stearman

Name:	Telefoam.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	17340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telefoaminv.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	17341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telefoamke.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	17342  
Old 09-28-2006, 05:31 PM
midoco
slombat!

Default Telefoam video

I got a video, but it was in windy/turbulent conditions. Sorry for the video quality... bad setting on the camera caused the washed out images.

http://www.michaelconnally.com/images/tf468.wmv
Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Hello midoco,
I can't stop watching the video or thinking of the possibilities. That is just an awesome plane you have built. As BobbyDog said "You have my brain working now!" Is there any wing flex that you've noticed or any other bad tendacies? I can't stop imagining it landing in reverse. Please, Tell us more.
Thanks,
Slowjohn
Old 09-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Warden

Default Telefoam

Wow! Great video of a great flying plane. That plane should be kitted!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Tore Loodin

Default Where did the cat go?

Originally Posted by midoco View Post
Took a few more last night after I added some stickers and the wing struts. These give it a little more scale too.
The cat was very beautiful. What is its name and where did it go in pic 2?
I have six cats and they strive to stay on all <pics I take.

Name:	Engine test in the box.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	17524   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7260941.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	17525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Coronet inspected by red cat.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	17526   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260553 . En förtida födelsedagspresent  med katt 2005-05-26 17-36-55.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	17527  
Old 09-29-2006, 02:15 PM
midoco
slombat!

Talking

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
Hello midoco,
I can't stop watching the video or thinking of the possibilities. That is just an awesome plane you have built. As BobbyDog said "You have my brain working now!" Is there any wing flex that you've noticed or any other bad tendacies? I can't stop imagining it landing in reverse. Please, Tell us more.
Thanks,
Slowjohn
Thanks! There was some wing flex the few times I flew it before I added the wing struts, but not anymore. I'm careful on outside maneuvers though. The wing is very stiff as far as twisting goes... the full sheeting does wonders. It was built as a one crasher. If I had built the aft portion of the fuse to take crashes it would be really tail heavy and very difficult to balance. As it is I'm going to remove the tail wheel since it's rarely on the ground anyway and replace it with a skid. This should allow me to remove some lead from the nose, and I hope to shed 2-3 ounces. Once I get some good air I will dial in the CG a bit more... I think I'm a little nose heavy. I will probably take some more pics with details when I get a chance.

"The cat was very beautiful. What is its name and where did it go in pic 2?
I have six cats and they strive to stay on all <pics I take."

Her name is Turtle. She's a bit skittish and moved when I spun the Telefoam around in front of her to get the bottom side. We have 5 cats and two ferrets.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:20 PM
midoco
slombat!

Forget to add. No bad tendencies at all. A little right rudder is required with the flaperons down, but it might have just been the wind. I have differential aileron set up and a bit of rudder mixed in with ailerons, but it really isn't needed.

I'm really surprised that I'm getting about 20 min flight times even in a fair amount of wind on my Dualsky 1000's.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

midoco
For some reason I wasn't getting notified of the new post on this thread. If I hadn't of come back looking for answers I'd never of known. Did you balance in the same place as the original? I'm starting a Depron build of my own after seeing yours and then the video. I've been wanting to do a build something along these lines so I started it today. As soon as I get all the parts cut out I'll try and post some pics. I also noticed your located in Texas also. Cool!. I'm down on the middle Gulf Coast.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
midoco
slombat!

Default Telefoam CG

John,

I'm up near DFW. Are you going to the BEST (New Waverly) meet this weekend?

Since I increased the ailerons it would have moved my CG anyway so I just used the TLAR method. This thing is so big and light I could probably fly it at 50% MAC anyway.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

I'm afraid not. Travel for me is an extreme luxury. Living on SSI disability and with 2 teen girls at home and in school is very restricting. 90% of what I build is from scratch so I can participate in this hobby. It's a great way to help occupy my time also. I wasn't even ready for a forced early retirement due to health reasons at 48. I almost didn't get that chance either. In Jan. 2004 the docs told the wife I only had maybe 12 hrs. left in me. I went down very quick. Lost 105 lbs. in 7 months time and was hospitalized 13 times in 9 months. "But I'm Doing Much Better Now"

That's the same method I use and then go from there if needed. The plane I decided to try this method on looks to have the wing spar about an inch to far forward to me. It's 3/4" in front of the CG so I think I'll move it back or maybe add a secondary spar further towards the TE. The plane I'm building or at least cutting out the parts for at the moment is a 3/4 sized "NotForSale". I've wanted to build this one for a while and was going to build it full sized from traditional methods but I've got to try this Depron build with it. Just what I needed, Another build project going on with the 4 or 5 I'm working on already. Get bored or hung up on one, just lay it to the side and pick up another one.

John
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 PM
43851E
Pulso Dealer

Default A great video Michael

Here is a great vid taken when I met Michael. As you can see in HD, this plane is what I concluded was a "crime"! Good work man. Click the "watch on youtube" for best enjoyment.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4RVNaWj7n4&feature=plcp[/media]