Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread - Page 11 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 PM
time bandit

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Yes, I get your point. I really do. But the only way to keep it going is to create content. We all appreciate and thank those who do. I do my little part here and there when I can and do have some projects planned but have been focussed on other interests lately.

One is to build a MM Tyro or Tyro 150. I'll definitely do a build thread and report here if I get going on it.
Look down the board and you will see mine. "EVA build pics, maybe they will show up!!" is the subject line. I did a bad job posting pics and it wasn't a very good build thread. I actually just meant that I was posting some build pics. I did receive a lot of good help and info from posters on this forum. In no way did I mean to imply there was nothing to be gleaned from this forum.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by Eberwein View Post
The expansion of the instant gratification society.
Parents not teaching children the skills they have (had).
Expansion of the "me me me" society.
In the 9 years or so that I have been in RC it sure seems that way. The age of BNFs has really changed our hobby and it doesn't seem like it has is in a good way. People do not help each other much anymore. It seems like it is a fight just to get people to volunteer to be MA Mentors. Club participation is down in my area (two clubs will probably be over by the end of this year that I belong to) and lets not even begin to discuss actually building an airplane anymore. No one does that now. Building a balsa kit is definitely not mainstream anymore.

Forums these days seems more about who can win arguments and harassment than it is about learning and helping each other. You can easily see the most viewed and commented threads are either off topic chit chat or people arguing with each other. And it is not just this forum it is even more so on the bigger forums like RCG and RCU.

I was involved in helping set up the balsa builders forum on RCG and you would not believe the push back we got from a few high volume posters. Sad thing is, they don't even build anything themselves. They just wanted to argue and create trouble. That's all these forums seem to be for these days and it really makes me sad.

I hope one day we can get back to sharing ideas and showing each other how to build balsa kits like we used to do. I miss those days.

Frank
Old 08-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by time bandit View Post
I already did that sort of. My point was, there doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic on this forum. Seems like it's going kaput.
That does seem like an issue here. WF certainly has changed since I started posting here. Now the majority of posts are mainly from the same people. Here is a snapshot of the last 7 days worth of statistics.

People are just not building anymore and you don't see much discussion on building balsa kits anymore.

I think 10 years or so in the future you will see a surge in "old school" building and people will realize what they were missing out on. I just hope for theirs and our sake designers and kit makes like Mountain Models will still be around.

You know on the side note of not having time for building a plane. I found that is can much more enjoyable to glue a couple of sticks together in 10 minutes and go on to something else than to rush a build and spend two or three solid says doing it. Prolong the enjoyment of building a nice kit, or even scratchbuild a balsa plane and you will see, you don't need a lot of time per day or week, you just need patience. I think that is what is holding people back. They don't have the patience to take their time. Too bad because they are missing out on a lot of fun.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Presentation1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	177101  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

One is to build a MM Tyro or Tyro 150. I'll definitely do a build thread and report here if I get going on it.
I just finished the fuselage for my second Tyro 150. Converting it to an "attack" trainer of sorts. I've always liked the old Midwest Strikemaster so will try to emulate it with a bunch of armament. If you want to add flaps to your Tyro build I can shoot pictures of my flap mod before I recover the wing. It's beyond easy to do. I built a flap wing for a second Tyro 100 too. It's exactly the same for both. The flaps are definitely not needed but are fun to play with and have no ill affect on handling when they are down. Unlike flaperons.

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
...People are just not building anymore and you don't see much discussion on building balsa kits anymore…
Please do a simple step by step "how to" build thread and show all us, who have yet to get started, just how easy and enjoyable balsa building is.

It's all about content. Anyone who can and has the time should create some. I know some of you do a lot already and all appreciate it. Content is what is needed.

My biggest problem, aside from cycling taking so much of my time, is a work space that can be permanently set aside for building. I have a plan and a beautiful 8.5' x 3' solid core door. I know where it's going. Nothing to it but to get started.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

You know on the side note of not having time for building a plane. I found that is can much more enjoyable to glue a couple of sticks together in 10 minutes and go on to something else than to rush a build and spend two or three solid says doing it. Prolong the enjoyment of building a nice kit, or even scratchbuild a balsa plane and you will see, you don't need a lot of time per day or week, you just need patience. I think that is what is holding people back. They don't have the patience to take their time. Too bad because they are missing out on a lot of fun.

Frank
Unless it was a beta build on a timeline I've never built a kit start to finish without putting it aside for a bit and working on something else. If I were to count all the partial kit builds, partial from plans builds and kits that I've cut out from plans and are close to or are ready to build it would likely get close to 20. When I get a little bored with a build or that build sparks an idea for a change on another build I put it down and go to something fresh. This way every time I go back to a build in progress it seems like something new. I don't rush builds. I savor them.

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Hi Guys, Just wondering if MM still makes the Mag pie ? went on the MM web site and they have parts for mag pie but I could not find the complete kit or if its an ARF. If you know give me a holler or I will call MM on Tues. Happy labor day to all FDNYJERY
Old 08-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

The Mag Pie is no longer made. Not sure of the exact story but the foam wing was at the root of it's demise.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:02 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

I just marvel at this thread as I go thru it, you guys build some great looking airplanes .I started a little late in life in this hobby and its the best thing that ever happened to me. I note that some people seemed dismayed at the too few posts , but I for one am learning so much about building and the hobby in general, keep up the excellent work!! FDNYJERY
Old 08-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Please do a simple step by step "how to" build thread and show all us, who have yet to get started, just how easy and enjoyable balsa building is.

It's all about content. Anyone who can and has the time should create some. I know some of you do a lot already and all appreciate it. Content is what is needed.

My biggest problem, aside from cycling taking so much of my time, is a work space that can be permanently set aside for building. I have a plan and a beautiful 8.5' x 3' solid core door. I know where it's going. Nothing to it but to get started.
Honestly the best build threads I've seen and the builder learns the most are the ones where they buy a mainstream kit, starts a thread and asks questions along the way. You brought up the Tyro series. It's a perfect first build. It doesn't come with or even need plans. PLUS it's not just a trainer. It'll provide you with all the sport performance you could ask for. There are enough Tyro builders out here that we'd all love to jump in and help with your success. HERE is the link to order yours from. (Note the video under the "images" link is of the maiden of my original Mike Molt beta build in crazy cross wind conditions. The white one in the picture is the same plane at AEF.)

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Turner thanks so much for the quick reply, I guessI will have to stick to my blue core Foamies :o)) have a great flying day!! FDNYJERY
Old 08-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Honestly the best build threads I've seen and the builder learns the most are the ones where they buy a mainstream kit, starts a thread and asks questions along the way...
Yeah, I'm working towards that.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Yeah, I'm working towards that.
If you get a Tyro PM me when you start the thread I'd love to subscribe to the build and help in any way possible.

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

I don't mean to be argumentative here but just want to point out… There is no question that people still are building. It must be so or all the kit companies and balsa supply companies would be out of business. And it may be true that some of this is at risk. The point I am trying to make to those who frequently speak out, on this type of thread, about the lack of builders is that what is needed here is content. It's fine to encourage me to get started but if you are currently a builder and want to promote building I can't think of a better way than buying one of the cheap and simple kits from MM or others and do a build thread.

I'm working towards it and will do it when I can but there are some of you out there who build and are all set up for it. So create some content. Build some simple kits. Show us the finer points. There is no doubt that people out there are building. Whats lacking here is content promoting and teaching.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Forums these days seems more about who can win arguments and harassment than it is about learning and helping each other. You can easily see the most viewed and commented threads are either off topic chit chat or people arguing with each other. And it is not just this forum it is even more so on the bigger forums like RCG and RCU.

I was involved in helping set up the balsa builders forum on RCG and you would not believe the push back we got from a few high volume posters. Sad thing is, they don't even build anything themselves. They just wanted to argue and create trouble. That's all these forums seem to be for these days and it really makes me sad.

Frank
Hard to believe the opposition you had on that one Frank and look how it is flourishing now. Even worse was how the non builders fought and won to keep from having a balsa kit section in the classifieds. For as long as I live I will not understand why people that had no interest in building kits fought so hard to keep it from us. Purely political. On the flip side of that coin I sent a PM to Don Sims here at WattFlyer and what do you know? He thought it was a great idea and created it right away. The balsa kit classifieds are HERE. It got off to a bit of a rocky start when several people saw my first post in the "new posts" ticker and didn't pay attention to the fact that it was in a brand new forum. At first they thought I was shooting up Ambroid or something until they saw my post made sense for the forum that it's in. A little tension at first but it's all good. At least we now have the balsa kit classified forum that RC Groups refused us. Now you have a place to buy or sell a BALSA kit and not have it get lost in all the ARF "kit" posts.

Many thanks to Don Sims. You ROCK!

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

If you get a Tyro PM me when you start the thread I'd love to subscribe to the build and help in any way possible.

Joe
Thanks for that, Joe.

I have a few kits already. I have a couple MidWest and a Goldberg. I am tempted to just start with a Tyro though.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Hard to believe the opposition you had on that one Frank and look how it is flourishing now. Even worse was how the non builders fought and won to keep from having a balsa kit section in the classifieds...
Is there a thread about that?
Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I'm working towards it and will do it when I can but there are some of you out there who build and are all set up for it. So create some content. Build some simple kits. Show us the finer points. There is no doubt that people out there are building. Whats lacking here is content promoting and teaching.
Go HERE and see if this cute little bugger interests you. I did the most in depth build documentation I've ever done when building this Tom-E-Boy 150. I've been saving it for posting after I have a successful maiden flight but since I've never had an unsuccessful Mountain Models kit maiden I'll post it up with confidence that it'll fly perfectly. Be forewarned that there are so many pictures and so much commentary on such an easy to build kit that it will take longer to read the build thread than it will to build the kit and have it in the air. It will also take me a LONG time to get it all sorted out and posted up in a single thread. I have family coming in so it may not be this weekend.

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Is there a thread about that?
It's in my post above but the full link is http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=260.

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Go HERE and see if this cute little bugger interests you.
While that looks like a good place to start I definitely want to build something with ailerons.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

My newest Tyro 150 is done except for covering so there is little left to document that would help you with a new build. Starting another new build right now and trying to document it all just isn't going to happen for me. A few weeks ago I could have covered at least the Tyro 150 fuselage build. The only thing I can offer is help with your build at this time.

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

My newest Tyro 150 is done except for covering so there is little left to document that would help you with a new build. Starting another new build right now and trying to document it all just isn't going to happen for me. A few weeks ago I could have covered at least the Tyro 150 fuselage build. The only thing I can offer is help with your build at this time.

Joe
I appreciate that and I wasn't directing that comment solely at you. It was intended for all members here. It is unfortunately a small group here that continue to produce content. That's what needs to be expanded.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

OK. How about the ultimate easy build all balsa kit? Based on the best parkflyer ever kitted, the MM SwitchBack. The MM Dandy Sport. It has ailerons but nothing to complicate the build like a canopy or a tail wheel. I have a NIP Dandy fuselage kit. If you want to do a Dandy build I'll order up a wing kit and do a build WITH you. It's going to take commitment from you to get the kit and start the thread though. The absolute last thing I need is yet another completed plane but I'll do it to help you get started.

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Yeah, that would be a great one too. And something I could fly in my back yard.

Setting up a building space is my big obstacle right now. I have a plan in the works for that but it will take some time.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 03:24 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default EVA!

And now back to why I really like Mountain Models!

EVA! Three planes in one!

I've had an EVA with the Sport and Bipe wings for about 4 or 5 years. This spring (or was it last fall...) I had a bad crash and trashed the fuselage. How to fix ?? Buy the EVA 3D!

This is the best, most "Verstital" park flyer there is! (IMO) Now that I have all three wing sets, it's like having three totally different planes. One fuselage/motor/ESC/RX with three different wings! This is an easy to build plane that will not let you down! This plane will build up lighter than any ARF, and it simple flies better.

EVA Sport: A great 1st aileron/sport plane. Absolutely no bad habits, easy to build and easier to fly. It almost soars with this big flat bottom wing.

EVA Bipe: A sporty, fun aerobatic small biplane. Great fun and nothing like the sport. Two symmetrical wings!

EVA 3D: A Wooo Hooo blast! Probably not really a true 3D plane, but a whole lot of fun to fly. One short, fat symmetrical wing with huge ailerons, can you say roll!

Thanks Brian for the hours of fun these have brought me! This is still my run to the park down the street when ever I have a spare hour plane!

Steve

ps. Yes this is a shameless plug for Mountain Models, but I really do endorse this plane (along with the others I've built.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1889.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	177115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1893.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	177116   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1885.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	177117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1887.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	177118  

Quick Reply: Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14859 seconds with 19 queries