best volt per cell for accurate IR reading??? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

best volt per cell for accurate IR reading???

Old 10-22-2015, 07:20 AM
  #26  
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 6,121
Default

Originally Posted by Flysohigh View Post
Have you used a 308 or higher? They show IR on load
I have the iCharger 4010 Duo, you are correct in that it does show total battery IR during charging but that's no use as far as IR measurement goes. If you want to measure IR do it using the special IR measurement function which as i explained should be done on a rested battery. that will give you IR for each cell rather than just the whole battery.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 07:28 AM
  #27  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,434
Default

Forgive me for this "Flysohigh" .... but you really seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill on this.

The iR shown by a typical charger is representative at best and really is only an indication of state. As said by myself and others ... you use these results as indication of battery change - not absolutes. You also need to do the checks at same state of packs.

The total iR of a pack is about as much use as an Icemaker to an Eskimo ... because as said - its the individual cell iR that counts.

Can I ask why the so deep involvement in this iR matter ? You seem so determined on it ...

Believe me I am not trying to be rude or unhelpful ... just honestly interested in your side of this.

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 06:37 PM
  #28  
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 6,121
Default

They say that a picture paints a thousand words, so maybe a video paints a million?

Anyway, heres a video of how to check I.R. with an iCharger Duo:
JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 06:43 PM
  #29  
Flysohigh
electrified
Thread Starter
 
Flysohigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 257
Default

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Forgive me for this "Flysohigh" .... but you really seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill on this.

The iR shown by a typical charger is representative at best and really is only an indication of state. As said by myself and others ... you use these results as indication of battery change - not absolutes. You also need to do the checks at same state of packs.

The total iR of a pack is about as much use as an Icemaker to an Eskimo ... because as said - its the individual cell iR that counts.

Can I ask why the so deep involvement in this iR matter ? You seem so determined on it ...

Believe me I am not trying to be rude or unhelpful ... just honestly interested in your side of this.

Nigel
Just trying to understand howto know whats a good and bad pack thats all
Flysohigh is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 07:40 PM
  #30  
fhhuber
Super Contributor
 
fhhuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,786
Default

Good pack delivers the power you need... Bad pack doesn't.

I don't bother with IR testing any more.
When the pack can't handle the full throttle for 30 sec climb-out of the big EDF I move it to something with lower demand. (about 3 yr old packs when they fail this test)
Then when they can't handle the sport aerobatic models they get punctured,/destroyed/burned then trashed (Trashed AFTER they have no potential to burn).
fhhuber is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 08:22 PM
  #31  
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 6,121
Default

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
I don't bother with IR testing any more.
To be honest neither do I, at least not routinely. If I feel that a pack might have an issue I'll I.R. check it to confirm, otherwise I hardly ever bother.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 PM
  #32  
dereckbc
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,222
Default

Originally Posted by Flysohigh View Post
Just trying to understand howto know whats a good and bad pack thats all
OK now that is the right question. What you have not understood is you need a base line to compare reading to.

The only way to do that is when the batteries are new and under controlled conditions. When you get a new battery, cycle it 5 to 10 time and note capacity and Ri. At first you will get a high reading until you have a few cycles where capacity peaks and Ri is minimum. Now you have a base line for future reference. When you see capacity fading and Ri rising, you know the end is near and time for replacement.

Then after a few years experience, you will give up making those measurements becuase you physically notice performance loss when used. Instead of 7 minutes, you now get 5 minutes. Time for replacement and quit worrying about documenting Ri and capacity. But go through the motions.

Its like college. Everything you learned in college is worthless and not applicable to real world. Just gave you the tools to start learning. When you come out of school you think you know everything until you have gone to work for a weak and realize you should change your name to Dunnochit, or Coward like NoBama.
dereckbc is offline  
Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 PM
  #33  
Flysohigh
electrified
Thread Starter
 
Flysohigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 257
Default

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
OK now that is the right question. What you have not understood is you need a base line to compare reading to.

The only way to do that is when the batteries are new and under controlled conditions. When you get a new battery, cycle it 5 to 10 time and note capacity and Ri. At first you will get a high reading until you have a few cycles where capacity peaks and Ri is minimum. Now you have a base line for future reference. When you see capacity fading and Ri rising, you know the end is near and time for replacement.

Then after a few years experience, you will give up making those measurements becuase you physically notice performance loss when used. Instead of 7 minutes, you now get 5 minutes. Time for replacement and quit worrying about documenting Ri and capacity. But go through the motions.

Its like college. Everything you learned in college is worthless and not applicable to real world. Just gave you the tools to start learning. When you come out of school you think you know everything until you have gone to work for a weak and realize you should change your name to Dunnochit, or Coward like NoBama.
Jaja like that one....ok got it up until now i been using the old method"If it works dont fix it" nkw that i have a charger i can measure IR and get more of a reference but what the heck...just fly fly fly
Flysohigh is offline  
Old 10-23-2015, 12:13 AM
  #34  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,434
Default

The light doth flicker at end of tunnel !!

Go fly ... stop worrying about things that really make themselves obvious without need for 'science'.

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
xmech2k
Batteries & Chargers
9
12-06-2014 08:08 AM
kittiwat1
FMA Direct
7
12-06-2013 02:22 PM
Henry111
Batteries & Chargers
118
03-18-2011 06:27 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Quick Reply: best volt per cell for accurate IR reading???


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11162 seconds with 13 queries