Quad V-Tail Boom Angle ? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Quad V-Tail Boom Angle ?

Old 12-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Paul80

Default Quad V-Tail Boom Angle ?

Hi all

I am about to start building a Quad V-Tail and wanted to quickly check something.

I assume the front booms should be the standard 120 deg but what about the back booms, what angle should they be set at..

Also I understand the front booms should be shorter than the back booms, if so how much shorter.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul
Old 12-24-2015, 04:55 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Its not about getting boom lengths or angles right... its about getting the motor shafts positioned correctly.

You can get a Hula Hoop, position the motors (of appropriate size) evenly on the ring then run a light frame to hold the battery and electronics in the center... Simple quad.

All of the motors should be angled the same small amount toward center... or all perpendicular to the plane of that hoop/frame.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

We have a guy in the Olympia WA area that makes a V tail quad, it is HIGHLY aerobatic.
If you search for V-tail quad in Google pictures you will find 100's of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
V-Tail quad.jpg (195.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Flubber

to try to answer your question instead of just posting nonsense. Most v tails use angles of 45 degrees like the lynx motion quad. I have seen ones that use 30 degrees. I would think (but could be wrong) that you could use a variety of angles but you would have to make changes to the flight controller's programming or gains to be flyable.

As for making the front arms shorter, to me that increases the lever length of the tail motors making them more effective. If the center of gravity is aligned with the flight controller then the arms can be the same length and the COG just set forward.

When I am making an asymmetrical multirotor I draw a circle of the desired size(eg 450mm) on big sheet of paper or poster stock. I want my motors to fall on the circle. First I divide the circle in half then start laying out the motors with the shortest arms.

Now I am doing this to try to keep the arms out of the camera field so I have an idea of where my gimbal will mount. Try the circle lay out method and see if it helps.

I hope this answered some of your questions. Have a great holiday
Old 12-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Like Terry said, it largely depends on the controller you're using and what angles on the 'V' and the booms that it is expecting or can work with.

One reason for the different boom lengths is that when you angle the rear motors, they have less vertical thrust, so the boom length needs to be changed so that the thrust from the front and rear motors is more balanced. Less thrust needs a longer boom for the same total lift.

In short, all of these things - boom length, boom angles, motor angles, controller position on the frame and which controller you are using - all need to work together.

On the other hand, if your controller has a V-tail setting, then the exact angles and lengths can be fudged a little. Its just that the quad will fly better the closer you have everything to optimum.

You need to look up the specs on your exact controller and the exact version of the software it has on it, to see what it is expecting for boom angles, boom lengths and motor angles.