First Hobby Quad - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

First Hobby Quad

Old 03-26-2016, 05:03 AM
WAMBO

Default First Hobby Quad

Need a little help. I've only flown toy-grade quads but have now bought an Arris FPV250 with CC3D. The online manual instructs me to connect and configure with OpenPilot, but I hear that's defunct. I sent email to Arris but they haven't responded yet. Don't know if they will.

So I need to do something else, but have no idea where to start. I downloaded the Chrome App Cleanflight Configuator but I need a from-scratch tutorial for someone who's never set up any sort of flight controller before.

Where can I get step by step instructions that don't assume I know anything? Because I don't.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:21 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEQY9gHb50s

try this video,i didn't watch it through but figure it's what your looking for.

open pilot had a breack down with it's administrators and they are debunk in supporting cc3d now. there is another break off group with a brand new forum out there. i will search for it later if someone else doesn't help first. i love the cc3d dc's. most of my buds have been switching over to naza and are saying its better......i haven't upgraded my cc3d's since first installing them and they fly great!!!so i'm not going to upgrade and just do tweaking when needed.

these are what i am using the cc3d's on and they have been changed a little since these photos were taken. i removed the light bar off the bottom and install mini light bars front and back which look good for LOS flying.

i hope the video helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2209.JPG (510.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-26-2016, 04:51 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by WAMBO View Post
Need a little help. I've only flown toy-grade quads but have now bought an Arris FPV250 with CC3D. The online manual instructs me to connect and configure with OpenPilot, but I hear that's defunct. I sent email to Arris but they haven't responded yet. Don't know if they will.

So I need to do something else, but have no idea where to start. I downloaded the Chrome App Cleanflight Configuator but I need a from-scratch tutorial for someone who's never set up any sort of flight controller before.

Where can I get step by step instructions that don't assume I know anything? Because I don't.
Try this web link......OpenPilot has been replaced with LibrePilot and RCG has quite a few discussions related to the application........:

http://www.librepilot.org/
Old 03-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

There is also betaflight which many 250 size fpv racers use. It has some very nice features but is not as user friendly as cleanflight.
ive used both and prefer betaflight but I recommend trying both and choosing the one you're cofortable with.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:24 AM
WAMBO

Well here's my situation: The Arris apparently still comes with Open Pilot installed on CC3D. The manual instructs you to go to OP and upgrade to the latest configuration and do a set-up. As I understand it OP is no longer supported, but in it's current form still exists and is useable. So choices:

1. Download OP and do as Arris suggests.

2. Download LibrePilot and load it, erasing OP in the process.

3. Go with another program such as Cleanflight or Betaflight.

My inclination is to not do #1 due to OP spinning down. I don't think I have enough experience to take on #3. So that leaves erasing OP and loading LP. I guess the worst that could happen is I screw it up badly, brick the CC3D and have to buy a new one. That's only a $20 risk. But before deciding, I posted this thread to see if I understand what I'm talking about, or am way off track.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:57 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by WAMBO View Post
Well here's my situation: The Arris apparently still comes with Open Pilot installed on CC3D. The manual instructs you to go to OP and upgrade to the latest configuration and do a set-up. As I understand it OP is no longer supported, but in it's current form still exists and is useable. So choices:

1. Download OP and do as Arris suggests.

2. Download LibrePilot and load it, erasing OP in the process.

3. Go with another program such as Cleanflight or Betaflight.

My inclination is to not do #1 due to OP spinning down. I don't think I have enough experience to take on #3. So that leaves erasing OP and loading LP. I guess the worst that could happen is I screw it up badly, brick the CC3D and have to buy a new one. That's only a $20 risk. But before deciding, I posted this thread to see if I understand what I'm talking about, or am way off track.
Based on what you have found to be available and currently serviced, you have pretty much summed up the "logical" options if you intend to continue to use the CC3D. That choice is entirely up to you and your frustration level capacity.

My brief and limited experience of open source operating systems for small, low budget multi-rotors (I stuck with the cheap stuff for 2yrs) led me to more reliable and a little more expensive products that were manufactured by more well established and firmware supported brands like Blade, Hubsan, Proto, Parrot.......this mainly due to the continued changes and firmware up-dates and eventual abandonment of systems like OpenFlight..........!

It's not to say that all small multi-rotor open source (share-ware) OP systems are unreliable or poorly supported (Walkera systems are a very good example of cheap and reliable/supported products)........however, keep in mind, "you get what you pay for", particularly when it comes down to the low end "simplistic" systems.

In summary, it really depends on what one's end result expectations are.......If one is inclined to just gain the simple pleasures and or experience multi-rotor flight with no serious intentions of moving up the ladder to more sophisticated and larger multi-rotors for the purpose of AV, FPV, flight competition, ect. ect ect..........then the cheapo throw-a-way models could serve the purpose without much expense. Obviously, if the reverse were the order of business, my experience has been to research the sh..t out of the available products within a set budget, fly a few demo's and purchase what has a long and positive service record and forum support history.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:03 PM
Flubber

Experience will teach you as Pizzano has written, So fly the thing already. You are only using the Open pilot GUI on your computer to change some settings on the quad. Just do it and fly it. As you gain experience you will see how easy it is to switch to a different firmware and a different GUI. There is nothing to be gained by lamenting the things you are undecided about. The Quad only cares about the gain settings and those are adjustable with every system that you list.