Ripmax Supermarine Spit Build Thread - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Ripmax Supermarine Spit Build Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 AM
fezz
Spit Junkie

Default Ripmax Supermarine Spit Build Thread

(carried from PZ Spit thread)
my thoughts so far:

WS 48"
3.2# (51 oz.)

brushless AXI 2820/10 or E-flite (i want an excellent motor?)
60-80A ESC (Jeti w/ programming card) (or is 45A enough - Jeti 40 plus)
TP 3S 4000 LiPo
10X6 folder? 8X4? (i want minimal torque roll on launch)

TX: DX6
RX: 1/2 mile (what is the best?)
i want high quality servos
plane has brass? clevis connectors - what am i using for conn. rods (CF or metal?)

i still haven't cross-referenced any of the specs.

Last edited by fezz; 02-28-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 AM
fezz
Spit Junkie

can anyone confirm that the ripmax wing is already built?

the instructions say to remove the ailerons so you can glue them in along with the torqur rods - but it looks completed already.

i'm a total noob.

Last edited by fezz; 03-01-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:14 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

I don't know anything about this plane but I don't think any ARF's come with the wing finished. (except maybe Alfas). You will probably have to pull the ailerons free and glue in the torque rod set-up and then put the ailerons back in with glued hinges.

As far as the shaft goes, You only have to reverse a motor shaft if your motor is designed to mount on the opposite end than the plane is made for. For example, if your motor has the mount screws on the back (opposite end from the shaft), then your motor is meant to be mounted in front of a firewall (generally). If the mount screws and shaft are on the same end of the motor then it is probably meant to be mounted behind a firewall. At least some motors let you loosen the set screws and push the shaft out the other end to reverse the mount capabilites. Some even come with prop shaft adapters made so you can mount the motor on either end without having to push the shaft through. But this is all theory for you now.

I built a very poorly designed Cessna 182 as my first build and second plane. Took me about 6 weeks I think. And I asked at least 2 million questions along the way.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:01 AM
thunder1

Here's a review:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620608
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 AM
fezz
Spit Junkie

Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
yes, thanks - i forgot about that review.

the E-Flite motor used in the review is rear mount and a 2nd firewall was glued-in (can all 4-mounting screws be reached for future removal?)

i'm looking at a Himax HC3522, 990 Kv, 400W, 59oz. of thrust.
comes with assortment of mounting hardware and prop adapter.
it mounts directly behind the firewall (AXI mounts same way too) - i think this will be easiest.

Last edited by fezz; 03-02-2007 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 AM
fezz
Spit Junkie

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
I don't know anything about this plane but I don't think any ARF's come with the wing finished. (except maybe Alfas). You will probably have to pull the ailerons free and glue in the torque rod set-up and then put the ailerons back in with glued hinges.
yes, confirmed in the artcile
Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 AM
fezz
Spit Junkie

i ordered the Himax combo pkg. from MPI

Himax HC3522, 990 Kv
Phoenix-45 ESC
APC 11x7E prop
Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Originally Posted by fezz View Post
can anyone confirm that the ripmax wing is already built?
Wing comes complete.... 1 piece. Just CA the ailerons, add your servo and your pretty much done.

For my money the Nitromodels plane is a better buy. The cowl is more scale, the motor mount is stronger and it comes with a fixed gear.

2820/10 on 2 3S 2100 makes 430+W

Its a very nice flying plane.

Tommy D
Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
fezz
Spit Junkie

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
Wing comes complete.... 1 piece. Just CA the ailerons, add your servo and your pretty much done.Tommy D
just CA in-place, as-is?
i dont have to remove the ailerons to glue-in the end of the torque rods?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:30 AM
kahloq

I would suggest you do remove the ailerons to add CA at the holes where the torque rod goes into the aileron. Also, its best to remove it to check to make sure you have equal amount of hinge on the wing and aileron and then CA the hinges to the aileron..let dry...then install on the wing.

Even though you already ordered a motor(which is a decent motor) any E-flite outrunner motor can have the shaft reversed. I have the E-flite Power 15 in my Ripmax Spit.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:20 PM
fezz
Spit Junkie

Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
I would suggest you do remove the ailerons to add CA at the holes where the torque rod goes into the aileron. Also, its best to remove it to check to make sure you have equal amount of hinge on the wing and aileron and then CA the hinges to the aileron..let dry...then install on the wing.

Even though you already ordered a motor(which is a decent motor) any E-flite outrunner motor can have the shaft reversed. I have the E-flite Power 15 in my Ripmax Spit.
thanks.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Southerner oop north!

i ordered the Himax combo pkg. from MPI

Himax HC3522, 990 Kv
Phoenix-45 ESC
APC 11x7E prop

990 kv? Are you going to run a 4s lipo?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:53 AM
fezz
Spit Junkie

3s4400
is this a problem?

himax spec for motor states 38-54A

on a 3S pack @10V the 11X7 prop is drawing 38A ?

Last edited by fezz; 03-04-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:47 AM
kahloq

3s4400
is this a problem?

himax spec for motor states 38-54A

on a 3S pack @10V the 11X7 prop is drawing 38A ?
Your fine Fezz. 990kv is perfectly fine on 3s. In fact, my E-flite Power 15 is rated at 1100kv and runs on 3s. Most normal outrunners range between 800-1200 for kv on 3s Higher then that and you start head scratching. Lower then 800 and you start needing 4cell, but not at 990.
The PDF file for your motor specifically states 11.1v 3cell lipo or 10 cell nimh battery, so you do NOT want to run it on 4cell lipo. Efficient opperating current is 15-38amps so with you running at 38amps your just fine
Old 03-04-2007, 02:43 PM
fezz
Spit Junkie

Your fine Fezz. 990kv is perfectly fine on 3s. In fact, my E-flite Power 15 is rated at 1100kv and runs on 3s. Most normal outrunners range between 800-1200 for kv on 3s Higher then that and you start head scratching. Lower then 800 and you start needing 4cell, but not at 990.
The PDF file for your motor specifically states 11.1v 3cell lipo or 10 cell nimh battery, so you do NOT want to run it on 4cell lipo. Efficient opperating current is 15-38amps so with you running at 38amps your just fine
thanks. i'm moving forward collecting all the parts i need. i've been practicing my soldering too, waiting for connectors to come in.

next big decision is the radio - everyone says go with DX6. i was concerned with range and receiver reception - but this seems not to be an issue. everyone likes their DX6.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:24 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

just CA in-place, as-is?
i dont have to remove the ailerons to glue-in the end of the torque rods?
My Apoligies as that was an oversite. CA on the hinges, roughen up the rods and use epoxy on them.

FWIW I flew mine on a Standard Hitec Radio and had a lot of trouble with glitches at my club field. I have switched to DX6 and never looked back. If your that concerned with the "stated" range then I suggest you purchase a DX7. I do think, however thats overkill.

Good Luck.

Tommy D
Old 03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
fezz
Spit Junkie

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
If your that concerned with the "stated" range then I suggest you purchase a DX7. I do think, however thats overkill.

Good Luck.

Tommy D
i haven't been able to find an actual "stated range," other than some review that said it was ground tested at one-mile.

i cant see flying much beyond 300 - 500 yards. I suspect this is within the realm of "park flyer" and what the system was designed to accommodate.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 AM
fezz
Spit Junkie

i've been searching and reading about motor mounting on the ripmax and it looks like mounting to the existing firewall requires reinforcement.
i'm looking for a method and not finding much.

edit: looks like ply or fiberglass - i'll have to evaluate my condition with motor in hand.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:15 AM
kahloq

i've been searching and reading about motor mounting on the ripmax and it looks like mounting to the existing firewall requires reinforcement.
i'm looking for a method and not finding much.

edit: looks like ply or fiberglass - i'll have to evaluate my condition with motor in hand.
Not really. The firewall is fine. Some ppl have added FG to add extra strength and some others simply put some popsicle sticks on the sides. On mine, I put on some extra epoxy on the glue joints to be safe and gave it a once over with some fiberglass tape.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:07 AM
fezz
Spit Junkie

Not really. The firewall is fine. Some ppl have added FG to add extra strength and some others simply put some popsicle sticks on the sides. On mine, I put on some extra epoxy on the glue joints to be safe and gave it a once over with some fiberglass tape.
i was thinking this too. re-glue the joints and reinforce with some fiberglass tape. i saw the popsicle stick side reinf. too.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
fezz
Spit Junkie

i'll be working on the wings and mounting the motor this weekend.
the plane instructions say to use only 2 screws to mount the motor. is this enough?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
SCC

Bump for the Ripmax thread.

I have had so much fun with the parkzone Spit i thought it would be great to go for something a little bigger. The Ripmax Spit fits the bill perfectly.
It's going to have a 2820/10 axi motor and HS81 servos and it will be powered by a 2200mah lipo, i may have to go to 3700 depending on my flight times.
I'm hoping to start putting it together in a couple of weeks, but i couldn't resist dry fitting it together for some pics. ;D

Battery compartment................................Looking inside the fuse

Fiberglass cowl.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

that is a good looking plane indeed, do you play on hand launching that bird or will you go with wheels?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:04 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

If you check the thread on RC Groups you will find a lot of good info on this model.

As a FWI I doubt you will get the model to balance with anything less then the 3000 MA+ pack. On mine I use 2 TP2100 3S connected in P.

For basics I would do what you have to to streghten that mount. It was made for the power a speed 600 makes NOT the 400W+ we run through these models. That Axi on 3S is going to work nice in this model.

Also give some though to modding the wing for dual aileron servos. Or at the very least make sure you have some mechanical aileron diff built into the model.

Keith Sparks also makes a real nice scale looking cowl for this one.

Have Fun.

Tommy D

http://tommydsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 12-02-2007, 10:11 AM
SCC

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
that is a good looking plane indeed, do you play on hand launching that bird or will you go with wheels?
DH.
I will probably stick to hand launching. If i added wheels they would have to be retracts, so you could keep the beautiful lines of the Spit whilst in the air and thats just too complicated for me. It would be easier for me to go for one of the Hyperion models.

Tommy.
I was wondering why a lot of people were using 3ooo+ set ups.
I have some 1800 Flightpowers that i could put in P.

On the subject of ailerons. I think i will run with the single servo to start with and then upgrade later. In the mean time can you elaborate on the mechanical diff.

Do you have link for the Keith sparks cowling?

Cheers
Paul

Quick Reply: Ripmax Supermarine Spit Build Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13418 seconds with 9 queries