Neilo's 28" EPP Mini Apex 3D - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Neilo's 28" EPP Mini Apex 3D

Old 10-29-2005, 04:49 PM
KenS
All Thumbs

Default Neilo's 28" EPP Mini Apex 3D

Just finished the 28" 1/4 inch EPP plane Neilo sent me. All I had to do was glue the wing in place as well as the flying horizontal stab and install my radio gear.
If I rushed it probably would have taken an hour but I stretched it over 2 days setting my linkages,making sure of the CG and soldering my ESC and battery.
It came with one of his CDROM 21T I believe,which was already installed.
My son and I just came out from the back yard which is 40x30 feet as I wanted to test CG but it's pretty gusty outside.
Funny, first hand launch into the gusts dropped into a hover and I was able to hold it for about 10 seconds (I don't know any 3d yet lol).
Next we launhed it at about a 15* angle and she took off at just over 1/2 throttle and rolled right because of the wind I assume.
This plane took 6-7 launches all ending in a healthy bump on the ground with no damage. I thank the EPP design and the prop saver he included with the kit.
This will deffinetly be a calm day flier and has tons of throw and did I mention weight, there is non..it's extremely light!
I will try to get some pictures of it later on...

Last edited by KenS; 10-31-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:43 PM
KenS
All Thumbs

Talking

Update,
The wind died down at dark last night so I figured what the heck, my back yard is pretty well lit.
Man I tell you what, I am totaly hooked now on the smaller planes. They fly so much better than my larger ones or at least seem like it to me.
I actually hovered for the first time for 30 seconds, my son timed it lol.
I was able to cruise around the yard in a harrier method with the big rudder, man it was a real joy.
I even took it up about 25-30 feet and did a few loops. Not enough room to do many rolls without hitting the privacy fence or my trees,the yard is about 1/2 a basketball court if that.
I now enjoy electrics and see them in a new light. I believe I will sell off my Hacker Zoom Zoom and Super Zoom kits that are unbuilt and stay small, 28" or less.

Stoked!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:54 PM
KenS
All Thumbs

Here are some pictures of the plane I bash the crap out of and it keeps coming back for more.
This thing is 28" and extremely light and EPP with a full flying Horizontal Stab.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	apex.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	3525   Click image for larger version

Name:	apex2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	3526   Click image for larger version

Name:	apex3.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	30.3 KB