Support your LHS - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Support your LHS

Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Kat
Pyromaniac

Exclamation Support your LHS

I started this thread because to many local hobby shops are going out of business, cause people buy online. At least that is just what happened here. I walked in and asked why they were going out of business, and he said with a little nervous laugh and smile and said " To many people just don't wan't to leave their house and support us and just buy online". Go out and support your LHS Now, cause next time you try, it may be gone. Only there can you get tips on building and flying, ETC.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 PM
egens1

They need to price match. Our LHS at Little Rock, AR price match with Horizon Hobby. The only thing I did not like is they always carry high dollar products. I never saw a LHS with Tower Pro motor. I am sure most of us here are money tight. LHS need to sell some cheaper stuff too.

I usually buy motors/battery from online store and replacement parts like motor shaft, hinges, props from LHS.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:02 PM
JediFlyer

I love to support the LHS...I also factor in shipping with the cost of what I am looking at...most of the time...its about the same to purchase it from the LHS if I factor that in...However, if it is so overpriced I kind of am forced to buy it online...

LHS need to attempt to stay inline with pricing and they would be OK. Our LHS also does something that I think keeps them going...they setup a day at the park on Sundays...TONS of folks show up and he gets plenty of people sent his way. They bring out airplanes, cars and boats sometimes to show off.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Kat
Pyromaniac

My LHS ordered from horizon, but flew each plane and gave tips, and nothing was that expensive.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:03 AM
dotyj

I don't have a LHS. I have to drive south or north several towns to get to one.

The hobby shop in Vancouver, WA has a horrible and small selection, as does the one in Jantzen Beach, but the Jantzen Beach hobby shop in Portland, OR has more spare parts.

The service is sometimes weak as well. Last weekend I was asking the guy behind the counter about putting a steerable nose gear assembly on my Cessna 182. He said it would be too heavy to fly and walked away!

If Woodland, WA had an r/c hobby store I would support it as much as possible. I already do this with the local music store. I've purchased a couple of guitars, a keyboard stand, and a ukulele from there.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Frodo

I spend a lot of money at my LHS. They have a good selection and will order anything you want. The prices are the same and sometimes lower then Hobby Lobby. And best of all it is only five minutes from my house!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Kat
Pyromaniac

Mine was 3 towns over, but I was a good customer.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dotyj View Post
I don't have a LHS. I have to drive south or north several towns to get to one.

The hobby shop in Vancouver, WA has a horrible and small selection, as does the one in Jantzen Beach, but the Jantzen Beach hobby shop in Portland, OR has more spare parts.

The service is sometimes weak as well. Last weekend I was asking the guy behind the counter about putting a steerable nose gear assembly on my Cessna 182. He said it would be too heavy to fly and walked away!

If Woodland, WA had an r/c hobby store I would support it as much as possible. I already do this with the local music store. I've purchased a couple of guitars, a keyboard stand, and a ukulele from there.
Hi Dotyj I like to support my LHS too, but a lot of times, they are just sales people , and dont have much experiance or knowlage to answer your questions, that gets a little flustrating, but oh well, they try there are lite weight steerable landing gear available for you 182, you just have to look around the web or make your own, you might be able to use a steerable tail wheel, and convert it to a steerable nose landing gear, you will have to be a little creative, take care, Chellie

Old 07-29-2007, 02:37 AM
bsoder

I support my LHS when my LHS supports me... if they have cruddy stock, never have what I am looking for, have crap for balsa and carbon fiber, etc, they can go out of business as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:07 AM
mpotter187

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Dotyj I like to support my LHS too, but a lot of times, they are just sales people , and dont have much experiance or knowlage to answer your questions, that gets a little flustrating, but oh well, they try there are lite weight steerable landing gear available for you 182, you just have to look around the web or make your own, you might be able to use a steerable tail wheel, and convert it to a steerable nose landing gear, you will have to be a little creative, take care, Chellie

Agreed I find myself answering more questions in regards to electric planes then they do. I have explained to a customer and the staff how the amp ratings on ESCs work. I do buy allot of my connectors and other small hardware from them just because their prices on things like connectors and servo extensions are lower then anywhere else and always for small hardware since its much easier to look at the stuff and figure out what I need. Just wish they had more selection of electric airplane stuff, they don't carry any prop adapters and a limited supply of props usually never the size I need.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

So what we're saying is that the LHS should support the people who pay their living. We don't owe them anything, it's more the other way round.

But never forget that these guys are in business to make a living. I have one great LHS (who also runs a major electric flight online business from the shop) but another fairly local one has gone over entirely to cars and trains because they're who he can make some money out of. He reckons aeromodellers are too obsessed with pennies and would come in the shop for advice and to paw over all his new kits etc. then buy online to save a couple of percent on the prices. The slightly odd thing is that the owner of that shop still flies planes....he just doesn't stock them any more .

Steve
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I think the LHS's are missing the boat with the "cheap build" foam planes.

They can be a bit lazy when looking around for places to buy thier stock. They pay higher prices for this, and therefore have to charge high prices.

Up until recently, to build an airplane, it was a long and difficult process. You had to buy a balsa kit, CA, kicker, epoxy, covering, the tools for covering, and this was all before you got to the electronics, and the gas motor, and such accessories.

Now, with blucor, and depron, the can be as quick as a simple 1 hour profile. That's counting installing the electronics.

They are still concentrating on buying the kits, and ARFs that they were used to. Money spent and lost on items with little mark up value. I think the money in these shops is in selling foam, and then the guts of the planes. Servos, motors, speed controls, batteries, and good chargers, these are the things that seem to me, to be in limited supply and selection.

The shop I like to go to sells the little BP motors, which are cheap, and fun for small planes. I tried suggesting it to another shop, that is easier for me to get to, because it is "close" to my office. He wants nothing to do with them. If it doesn't come from the big name distributer houses, he doesn't want to try dealing with them.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:22 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

There are a couple of really good posts in here:

"So what we're saying is that the LHS should support the people who pay their living. We don't owe them anything, it's more the other way round."

"I support my LHS when my LHS supports me... if they have cruddy stock, never have what I am looking for, have crap for balsa and carbon fiber, etc, they can go out of business as far as I'm concerned."

I'm trying to support my LHS, but it's hard because I've got about a 30% chance of them having what I want (or what i NEED) when I need it.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:51 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Yesterday was a prime example of what I find.....My wife was going to be in the area of one of my "local hobby shops" (with local meaning within 50 miles). I called to see if they had what I needed. "Nope, sorry, we don't have it but we can order it" was their response. Well, I already had things I was going to order from Tower, so I just added to my list, and will wait a few days.

It's funny, too. Both these shops are the same Big-Name chain hobby stores, yet the one farthest away is the one that has the most stuff. Frustrating sometimes.......
Old 07-29-2007, 07:07 PM
bsoder

I had this discussion with a friend the other day. If I were to open a hobby shop, 90% of my stock would probably be ARF/RTF, since that's the volume. The other 10% would consist of the stuff my dedicated customers - that's us, boys and girls, the people who come BACK - want.

When Fred comes in and says, "Hey Brian, you guys are out of 3/16"x4"x36" balsa sheet." - I'D ORDER MORE. Better yet, I'd keep track and order more BEFORE I ran out.

Even more than that - when Fred says, "I heard about this new product, X - I ordered one, here it is, what do you think?" and it's good stuff, I'd look into carrying that too, not just give him the "oh that's nice" spiel.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:28 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Smile

Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
I had this discussion with a friend the other day. If I were to open a hobby shop, 90% of my stock would probably be ARF/RTF, since that's the volume. The other 10% would consist of the stuff my dedicated customers - that's us, boys and girls, the people who come BACK - want.

When Fred comes in and says, "Hey Brian, you guys are out of 3/16"x4"x36" balsa sheet." - I'D ORDER MORE. Better yet, I'd keep track and order more BEFORE I ran out.

Even more than that - when Fred says, "I heard about this new product, X - I ordered one, here it is, what do you think?" and it's good stuff, I'd look into carrying that too, not just give him the "oh that's nice" spiel.
Can you come open a shop in my city? Please?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by bsoder View Post

What am I being blamed for now?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 PM
bsoder

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
What am I being blamed for now?
Pooflinging.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Army Dad

Most of you guys are lucky we dont have a LHS here the closest is a two hour round trip, so I use the online shops. If i had an LHs I'd support it big time.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Lhs

Technically I have 3 that are within easy driving distance. All three, the owners have chips on their shoulders and huge ego problems, they plain flat out don't listen to their customers.

I tell them, this is what I buy, can you please keep it in stock, they reply, well we had that once and it didn't sell, and I'm going, well, it will now.....

I don't mind a reasonable mark up for convienence, but when I get misled, or out right lied to, I tend to do my research and most of my ordering online. I don't want a fricken arf or rtf, they should know me by now, I don't arf or rtf, yet they keep trying to push me that direction, that and of course, insist I get into flying nitro.....

2 dead eflight 450's later bought from two LHS's, I bring them in so they can contact the manufacturer, get me the parts I need to rebuild them, I tell them I'm willing to pay for shipping to and fro and purchase the parts from them and they look at me with a blank face going, well, you have to send them back to the manufactur yourself with the receipts for support. I'm going, why am I dealing locally if I still have to handle my own support, it would take a week, if not a month just to find the receipt, I have many? I only buy inexpensive towerpro and similar motors online now, otherwise I'd still be in brushed land no thanks to them. They are reduced to odds and ends for the most part these days.

LHS's in general really need to get their act together, stock what sells, ditch the rest and know about what you are selling in the first place, it's that simple. They have so much potential, people are constantly just walking in off the street to oogle over everything and rarely just leave without making some kind of a purchase. They must run it like a business, not a hobby.

I like the latest excuse, "well I have overhead", I'm going, no you don't, you have junk you happen to get the highest profit margins on, it's a volume game kids, not a gouging one. When I can by a christal online for $2.00, and they charge $15.00, when I can get a servo for $3.00 and they charge $16.00, I'm a little insulted in the process having paid the premium from them in the past, especially when I point them to my online supplier, tell them to keep this stuff in stock and make small mark up and I'll go locally to avoid the wait, yet they don't listen.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 PM
IvanHood

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
Technically I have 3 that are within easy driving distance. All three, the owners have chips on their shoulders and huge ego problems, they plain flat out don't listen to their customers.

I tell them, this is what I buy, can you please keep it in stock, they reply, well we had that once and it didn't sell, and I'm going, well, it will now.....

I don't mind a reasonable mark up for convienence, but when I get misled, or out right lied to, I tend to do my research and most of my ordering online. I don't want a fricken arf or rtf, they should know me by now, I don't arf or rtf, yet they keep trying to push me that direction, that and of course, insist I get into flying nitro.....

2 dead eflight 450's later bought from two LHS's, I bring them in so they can contact the manufacturer, get me the parts I need to rebuild them, I tell them I'm willing to pay for shipping to and fro and purchase the parts from them and they look at me with a blank face going, well, you have to send them back to the manufactur yourself with the receipts for support. I'm going, why am I dealing locally if I still have to handle my own support, it would take a week, if not a month just to find the receipt, I have many? I only buy inexpensive towerpro and similar motors online now, otherwise I'd still be in brushed land no thanks to them. They are reduced to odds and ends for the most part these days.

LHS's in general really need to get their act together, stock what sells, ditch the rest and know about what you are selling in the first place, it's that simple. They have so much potential, people are constantly just walking in off the street to oogle over everything and rarely just leave without making some kind of a purchase. They must run it like a business, not a hobby.

I like the latest excuse, "well I have overhead", I'm going, no you don't, you have junk you happen to get the highest profit margins on, it's a volume game kids, not a gouging one. When I can by a christal online for $2.00, and they charge $15.00, when I can get a servo for $3.00 and they charge $16.00, I'm a little insulted in the process having paid the premium from them in the past, especially when I point them to my online supplier, tell them to keep this stuff in stock and make small mark up and I'll go locally to avoid the wait, yet they don't listen.

I'd probably have an 'ego problem' and be hard of hearing too if you walked into my store of any kind and started telling me what to sell, who to buy from, and what to charge. They're probably pefectly content with you sending your business to the mail order people.

I don't deny that some of your complaints are legit, but if you know so much, why aren't you king **** of the hobby industry?

Its really simple. Either support your LHS, with their problems, or don't. Either they'll be around when you need something small and fast, or they won't. The USA is filled with older people who can tell you anecdotes about the egomaniacal, hard of hearing shop keepers who they used to buy their ordinary consumer goods from. Walmart, et al came along and did away with them...hows the service at Walmart lately? Everything you...demand? But, its cheap.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I support mine... every chance I get. I am glad I have one to support as well.

The net is great most of the time but when you need something now, and I mean now, the net can't help that.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:38 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by IvanHood View Post
I'd probably have an 'ego problem' and be hard of hearing too if you walked into my store of any kind and started telling me what to sell, who to buy from, and what to charge. They're probably pefectly content with you sending your business to the mail order people.

I don't deny that some of your complaints are legit, but if you know so much, why aren't you king **** of the hobby industry?

Its really simple. Either support your LHS, with their problems, or don't. Either they'll be around when you need something small and fast, or they won't. The USA is filled with older people who can tell you anecdotes about the egomaniacal, hard of hearing shop keepers who they used to buy their ordinary consumer goods from. Walmart, et al came along and did away with them...hows the service at Walmart lately? Everything you...demand? But, its cheap.

Oh geez, now we are gonna start bashing Walmart again??
Old 07-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

IvanHood, Nope, you have me all wrong, I began this hobby with the LHS as the place to go for advice and to shop at exclusively, asking them for advice on everything and following it, only to find their advice is "buy this, we make more money off of you", when they should have said, well, start out with a slowstick and here's some advice upon how to fly it. Nope, it's well, it's your first heli, get the blade CP, it's all we have in stock, we in fact have a truckload in stock, it's better then the cx because you can do more with it and it will be a good first heli...... Then, after spending 2-300 in replacment parts from them, I'm going, what was I thinking, they just want to sell me parts.....

I get my first radio from them, futaba 4yf, they insist I get the super-submicro receiver option with it only to find, you cannot get any servo leads for it anywhere since they are not standardized, it's a nice dust collector these days, again, horrible advice and they knew I didn't know anything about that end..... I come back and get a microjet, same radio, they are happy to sell it without asking what my flight skill level, knowing full well, 3 months earlier I was in there to get my first radio, so noob city, not reccomended. I then come back, this time to get a zagi, but one of their new employees, one that partially knows what he's talking about, asks if I have a radio with mixing since it's going to be necessary, I tell him no, so he sais, you must get a new radio before you can fly that plane and I reply, don't they make an external mixing module? He insists adamently that it doesn't exist and points to a 200.00 radio saying this is the mandatory option....... I leave without the plane knowing it's going to cost too much to include the radio... I have two cheap external mixers now guys, still use the same radio, it's working just fine for me....

To expand, I've brought in the picoz, way before it became popular, let one of their employees have some stick time on it, he loved it, the owner insisted that he'd never carry it, 9 months later, there they are, a huge stack of havvoc's, and I'm going, you are a little late, it's already reached market saturation. Same with an arf I brought in, I get nothing but compliments with it on the field, yet they insist they'd never stock it, yet here it is in March issue of model airplane news a year later and now everybody wants one. You see, I don't make demands, I only lead a horse to water, unfortunately, they lose out not listening to friendly requests.

I also observe what's in stock and what's not, if they can't manage to keep something stocked due to it's popularity, wouldn't you think they'd carry a larger volume of that item, it makes sense doesn't it? Then there is that "well we can order it" mentality, that was fine before the WWW, but get with the times, if you are going to make someone wait, they are likely not going to order it from you since they can do it themselves. Simple stuff like servo's, receivers, control horns, props, stuff that you'd expect to get at a hobby shop, they can't keep in stock, but that tired prefabbed set up that nobody want's they manage to have plenty of. I'd think it would be logical if they'd up their inventory on the former and unload the latter.

What urks me, when I did make requests to have them order something and I'll wait, they never notify me, so by the time I get in there, they tell me they are out of stock for that item..

I don't shop at Wallmart, I don't like to buy junk, but at the same time, I have a budget, and it's not to be supporting someone that cannot effectively run their business, it's not my fault they are inepth. You as a shop owner "I suspect you are", must heed my advice here or you will go the way of the dodo, you must earn your customers respect and loyalty, not the other way around. It's your job to make the client happy, again, not the other way around, it'a a privelage to have them frequent your establishment and the service you are providing must cater to their needs.

I've spent a ton of money at both places, so it's not like I don't put my money where my mouth is, I always leave both places making some kind of a purchase.

I will eventually start my own hobby shop, when I do, look out, it's going to happen in a big way, and yeah, we can retain the old school mentality with local old timers giving advice, we can also maintain an edge by keeping up with the trends and what's cutting edge so when you walk in the doors, you don't need to wander away to another place, or go online for your shopping. Right now is an exciting time to own a hobby shop, this field has vastly expanded to a much larger population, all you have to do is keep up with it and you are set.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:50 AM
bsoder

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
when you need something now, and I mean now, the net can't help that.
Neither can my LHS if they don't and won't carry what I ask for - and I DO tell them.

Quick Reply: Support your LHS

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16314 seconds with 12 queries