First time with Heli...need advice plz - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

First time with Heli...need advice plz

Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 PM
jonvall

Default First time with Heli...need advice plz

I've been lurking around here for about a month...reading....checking the place out. I think it's a great place and it seems as if everyone is eager to help us nubs. So with that....on to the subject of this post.

Ok...so I bought a HB King 2....knowing it was probably a bit much for me but I think, with careful steps, I'll be able to master this thing.

My question was, because the manual seems to suck, do I tighten down the main rotor blades before I fly? Also what about the tail blades?

I also saw something about the gyro, a light, and automated calibration. Is the light I'm looking for on the gyro and is steady red good?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Welcome To Wattflyer jonvall!
I don't have a HBK so I can only answer part of your question. The main rotor blades need to be fairly tight but still able to be moved with your hand. The tail rotor blades should be snug but loose enough so they can flop around but not wiggle side to side.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Bob M
Continually Learning

I hate to disaggree with Brnyrbbl, but the tail rotor blades should be left pretty sloppy. If you try to tighten them up the blade holders will break.

Be sure to turn on your transmitter FIRST then plug in the battery on the heli. The red light on the gyro will blink rapidly and then turn solid red. That tells you the gyro is "locked" and ready to fly.

Look for RADD's instructions for beginers. http://www.dream-models.com/eco He will get you on your way to your first hover.

Also, watch the tail rotor belt. Some of us have had problems with the belt dropping off the little guide rollers just behind the drive pulley on the main mast. If this happens, it's an easy fix by adding a couple of small washer between the frame and the roller.

Welcome to the club!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:35 PM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Originally Posted by brnyrbbl View Post
Welcome To Wattflyer jonvall!
I don't have a HBK so I can only answer part of your question. The main rotor blades need to be fairly tight but still able to be moved with your hand. The tail rotor blades should be snug but loose enough so they can flop around but not wiggle side to side.
Sorry Bob.. read it again. That's what I said
If they are left to loose the hole can elongate and then the pitch control gets sloppy. Snug as in not able to move side to side but still able to rotate on their own. The blades should drop from a horizontal position with power off and the rotaional force will cause them to extend under power.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Bob M
Continually Learning

The tail rotor on the HBK has no tetter hinge so the blades are left loose enough to "flap". It is kind of a poor design, because like you say it will cause the holes to wear. You can see in the pic how the holders are cut away to allow the "flap"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tail rotor.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	38394  
Old 08-18-2007, 12:33 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
The tail rotor on the HBK has no tetter hinge so the blades are left loose enough to "flap". It is kind of a poor design, because like you say it will cause the holes to wear. You can see in the pic how the holders are cut away to allow the "flap"
what's the advantage in flapping? besides revenue generated by the replacement parts...
Old 08-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Bob M
Continually Learning

One blade will always create more lift than the other at different points in the rotation. The best example is the amount of lift created by the advancing main rotor blade as opposed to the retreating one. Suppose that your rotor blades were rotating at 100 MPH and you were going ahead at 25 MPH. The advancing blade would have an air speed of 125 MPH, and the retreating one wolud have an airspeed of 75 MPH. The Adv. blade will have more lift than the ret. one. If there were no hinge the entire helicopter would rock left to right twice every revolution of the blades (2 blade system) The vibration would tear the ship apart. This was one of the biggest obstacles encountered by eary helicopter designers. Igor Sikorsky was the first to figure this out.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:07 AM
brnyrbbl