Fragile Magnetic Actuators - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Fragile Magnetic Actuators

Old 11-19-2005, 07:29 PM
alpenaflyer
alpenaflyer

Location: Alpena, Michigan--half way between equator and north pole
Default Fragile Magnetic Actuators

I purchased a Plantraco HFX900 sysem in mid August from Balsa Products. The CD that come had no instructions...had to download those from Plantraco website. Was very disappointed....nothing about installation or size--weight of aircraft. Shortly thereafter while experimenting on airframe broke leads to both actuators. Emailed Plantraco about repairs--NEVER ANSWERED.
Ordered two new actuators from Balsa Products--Tried to be more careful this time. Then I heard Bob Selman made the actuators. Contacted them and they sold me two new coils with doubled leads. Then the lead broke off the third actuator. Here I am 1 complete actuator 2 new coils--almost Thanksgiving and am scared to handle the damned things anymore.
Anyway, how do you clean the ends of the wire so you can solder connectors on?.....This wire just seems too fine.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Ken Spencer

Originally Posted by alpenaflyer View Post
This wire just seems too fine.
Hi, Alpenaflyer
I have heard this story of broken leads wires many times. Even though the actuators from Plantraco, Balsa Products, and BDS micro RC looks the same they are of different materials. Plantraco actuators and coils, I have heard are being made over seas. The wire they using seems to be very brutal and will brake after flexing just a few times. Balsa Products coils, I bereave but I am not sure are being supplied by DWE.
I have been using Bob Selman coils and actuators for more then four years now and have broken only one wire while removing it from a obsolete aircraft.
As for sodering, I know the coating on the BDS wire will burn away with the heat of the soder as you tent the wire ends.
I might suggest to you add a drop or coat of clear nail polish to the wire at the coil and out from the coil a little. This might help support the wire flexing while handling. And at least give you something to soder to if the wire does brake.
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Old 11-21-2005, 09:36 PM
alpenaflyer
alpenaflyer

Location: Alpena, Michigan--half way between equator and north pole
Default Thanks Ken

I receive your suggestions the same time I got an answer from Janell Selman--you both concur as to the enamel and solder. I like your idea of reinforcing the leads. In fact I was in the process of attempting to put a drop of RC56 glue on the last one when it broke.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE

ALPENA FLYER (Jim Dessenberg)