Suggested plane for 11 yr old boy for xmas - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Suggested plane for 11 yr old boy for xmas

Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 AM
RCairplane.pilot

for a lil'kid id vote for a airhogs or at the most a slow stick or better yet "both"
Old 12-11-2007, 07:26 PM
knuckles34
its only a finger son

My bid would be an easystar. large wing area likes to climb, thermals nice, Very few parts to replace( for when the worst happens ), and best of all it is super durable. A little spray glue and tape and you literally have to fly this plane to death. I like to add a little CF to the sides to keep it strait. You can get the whole setup for less than $ 200.00 .
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Easystar is a nice choice too, with a pusher prop that makes it harder to break on landings.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Default EasyStar vs. Super Cub???

Originally Posted by knuckles34;
My bid would be an easystar. large wing area likes to climb, thermals nice, Very few parts to replace( for when the worst happens ), and best of all it is super durable. A little spray glue and tape and you literally have to fly this plane to death. I like to add a little CF to the sides to keep it strait. You can get the whole setup for less than $ 200.00 .
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Easystar is a nice choice too, with a pusher prop that makes it harder to break on landings.

I, too, have considered the EasyStar, but it's listed as an ARF (Almost Ready to Fly), meaning it requires more assembly than an RTF Super Cub. The total package of an assembled EasyStar (RTF version) is more expensive than the Super Cub, and I'm not sure the quality, including flying, is any better for the money. I agree, however, it would be a good consideration.

The same strengthening tips could be applied to the Super Cub. I have read of more out-of-control crashes, like sudden unexplained dives, with the EasyStar. Could just be an operator thing, but I'd sure be leary of the price of replacement. The boy can almost have two Super Cubs for the price of one EasyStar. ( www.diversionhobbies.com )

If I was his mom, I know which one I would choose.

-- Stanta
Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I really picture the assembly of the easystar to be minimal.

here, let me see if I can find a build thread...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Dude, it might be worth it to go with the ES over the SC for the sole reason, the parts are somewhat reusable in future projects. (somewhat being, that the brushed motor and ESC will likely end up being set aside and never used)

when you're done with the cub, if it gets smashed up, you just throw the parts away...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...asy+star+build

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...r+build+thread

http://www.ccbarnstormers.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=104

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350408

http://www.ccbarnstormers.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=104
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I flew one of the Easystars once... I never could get it to turn right... It turned left just fine. But it just didn't want to go to the right at all. We fiddeld with the setup for a while and never did get it right.

After it landed on the roof of the church we gave up on it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

lol, yeah, been there

i wonder what would have caused it?

wrong angle on the motor?

too large a prop?

bad balance on the wings?

twisted tail?

someone must have the answer. I have run into this with planes I built myself, and it was often an issue with CG
Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I really don't know waht it was... It was fairly early on in my flying days so I wasn't too sure what to look for back then.

All I know was after that day I did not like them.

Oh and it wasn't my plane, I was trying to help another newbie... one of those one newbie to another kind of days...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

ohhh, those were the days...

had one last week
Old 12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
knuckles34
its only a finger son

Originally Posted by Stan-the-Man View Post

I, too, have considered the EasyStar, but it's listed as an ARF (Almost Ready to Fly), meaning it requires more assembly than an RTF Super Cub. The total package of an assembled EasyStar (RTF version) is more expensive than the Super Cub, and I'm not sure the quality, including flying, is any better for the money. I agree, however, it would be a good consideration.

The same strengthening tips could be applied to the Super Cub. I have read of more out-of-control crashes, like sudden unexplained dives, with the EasyStar. Could just be an operator thing, but I'd sure be leary of the price of replacement. The boy can almost have two Super Cubs for the price of one EasyStar. ( www.diversionhobbies.com )

If I was his mom, I know which one I would choose.

-- Stanta
The ES has several build options. ARF RTF and in pieces. The foam is elapor similar to EPP. As far as spare parts go, ya really got ta munch her up bad to need em. They are still Easy and relatively inexpensive. Control surface issues hmm... I've never had a prob. Always check servos for range of movement and all. I would still go Easy Star. If ya need a spare tail feather set drop a line I keep a few parts around.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

For an 11 year old, I would stick with the Supercub.

for an older pilot, it's a 50/50 split. with the cub, it's ready to go once you've charged the battery.

the ES has more room to grow with it.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Insomniac

I say supercub. While it may not have reusable gear, from everything I've read it is such a fun plane (especially with stuff like the drop module) that people still fly them even once they have better planes.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 AM
knuckles34
its only a finger son

Originally Posted by Lynn39 View Post
Hello,

My son wants an electric plane for xmas. Which sounds good to me, he usually wants video games. We don't have any experience with flying at all. We went into local Hobbyshop, they suggested Hobbyzone Firebird Fantom and Firebird Freedom. What do you think about these planes for someone with no experience? I have read a few posts and I see that their is alot of recommendations for the Air Hogs Aero Ace for beginners. The problem with that is I think my son would be disappointed after seeing the bigger planes, that the AA looks like a little kids toy. I should have come here first!

My son did play with their flight sim for quite awhile, They thought he did great with that, me not so good:o

Any suggestions? Thanks..
Lynn I reckon no matter what you get your boy, just remind him to have fun with it and remember an RC plane is a big boy toy and can cause big time pain when mishandled. The folks here are diverse and full of helpful hints, and patient with new fliers. Awesome group at WF have enjoyed my short time here.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Default Amen, Brother!

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I flew one of the Easystars once... I never could get it to turn right... It turned left just fine. But it just didn't want to go to the right at all. We fiddeld with the setup for a while and never did get it right.

After it landed on the roof of the church we gave up on it.

Thanks, Bill. This is what I'm talking about...

Obviously, this is not the first report I've heard about this sort of thing with the ES, which was the reason for my reply.

There seems to be a rivalry of quality of production between the ES and Super Cub.

You made some good points, Monk, but I keep certain parts to all planes I reorder rather than trash them. I'm sure you're referring to the more costly and sophisticated parts. Let's face it, both models can get beaten to a pulp after awhile, especially if I'm flying!

Had to bug you, Monk.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Stan-the-Man View Post

Thanks, Bill. This is what I'm talking about...

Obviously, this is not the first report I've heard about this sort of thing with the ES, which was the reason for my reply.
I am willing to bet, some of the troubles with the easystar vs supercub, is that the supercub is ready out of the box, and the problematic ES's might have been assembled. Few people blame themselves when starting in rc. they want to learn on their own, but when it doesn't work out, it's the planes fault.

Even Bill. He said it himself. There could have been something wrong with the balance of the plane, but at the time, he didn't know enough, to know what to check for.

Now, I haven't flown the ES, or the Cub, but I have spoken with people who have flown both. I have seen both flown at the field. I have seen someone absolutely green at flying, take the cub and have a great day with it. Although at first they had issues, because it needed a little balance adjustment, and they needed a couple tips. So, I have no emotional investment in either. I will say, the cub would be by far the easiest to be successful with.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Thumbs up What? You're sounding like a rational thinker!

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
I am willing to bet, some of the troubles with the easystar vs supercub, is that the supercub is ready out of the box, and the problematic ES's might have been assembled. Few people blame themselves when starting in rc. they want to learn on their own, but when it doesn't work out, it's the planes fault.

Even Bill. He said it himself. There could have been something wrong with the balance of the plane, but at the time, he didn't know enough, to know what to check for.

Now, I haven't flown the ES, or the Cub, but I have spoken with people who have flown both. I have seen both flown at the field. I have seen someone absolutely green at flying, take the cub and have a great day with it. Although at first they had issues, because it needed a little balance adjustment, and they needed a couple tips. So, I have no emotional investment in either. I will say, the cub would be by far the easiest to be successful with.

Excellent points. The debate will go on... but the sales figures really tell the story. Also note the number of replies to AEAJR's thread "Tell Me About Your Super Cub".

I may be repeating this... but there's an old Texas saying, "Buy Texas beef; 10,000 wolves can't be wrong."

That says it all about the Super Cub. It's the top selling beginner plane for a reason.

Thanks, again, for your observation and rationale.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:41 AM
CRITTERRANCH
CRITTERRANCH

Default My Humble Opinion

I Bought A Super Cub For My 12 Yr. Old Grandson. Hobbyzone Sells For 160.00 With An Extra Battery. I Also Gave Him A Book On Flying Basics To Read As Well As Making Sure He Understood The Manual And Cd That Come With The Cub. He Has Flown A Couple Dozen Times, At Least, With No Crashes. The Plane Is Great!!! Also With The Add-ons, Like Drop Module, A Lot Is Added To The Flying Experience.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:46 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

welcome critterranch. yeah, hobbyzone really did a good job on this plane.

my only complaint is it is so proprietary. they used the 5 wire servos instead of the industry standard 3 wire ones.

i would love to see them come out with the SuperCub4, what would be a 4 channel, brushless plane
Old 12-13-2007, 12:50 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by CRITTERRANCH View Post
I Bought A Super Cub For My 12 Yr. Old Grandson. Hobbyzone Sells For 160.00 With An Extra Battery. I Also Gave Him A Book On Flying Basics To Read As Well As Making Sure He Understood The Manual And Cd That Come With The Cub. He Has Flown A Couple Dozen Times, At Least, With No Crashes. The Plane Is Great!!! Also With The Add-ons, Like Drop Module, A Lot Is Added To The Flying Experience.

Hey Critter Welcome to WF!

Good for you getting the grandson involved in this great hobby. And obviously doing it the right way! Kudos to you
Old 12-13-2007, 03:53 AM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Thumbs up Ah, ha!!!! "The Plot Thickens..."

Originally Posted by CRITTERRANCH View Post

Thank you, thank you, thank you... for your testimony. There are those of us who knew this would likely be the case, however, your posting further strengthens the Super Cub debating team who claim the SC to be the best beginner plane!

We offer you three cheers! (...And your grandson three cheers for not crashing. )

We also wish you both continued success.

P.S. www.diversehobbies.com is sending me a new Super Cub for under $120.00, delivered. They claim they will not be undersold. However, it does not include an extra battery.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:54 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Makes me almost want to get one for the hangar just to let new folks give it a shot...
Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

It is a great plane Bill.

Like I have said, I have seen completely green people take this plane up with success.

My favorite, was this pair of couples at Hodge's one weekend. They bought the cub, and the guys were trying to fly it.

they were having marginal luck.

they let the wife try it

she flew it until the battery was dead, and deadstick landed it beautifully

talk about a pair of bruised egos...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Leo L

Fred,

Instead of lobbying for a SuperCub4, let's ask Horizon Hobby to produce a SuperDecathlon2. Make it the same size and of the same material as the SuperCub, but include standard electronics, 4-channel, outrunner and LiPo. And LEAVE OUT the ACT!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

let them make both, it's not MY money...

Quick Reply: Suggested plane for 11 yr old boy for xmas

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09861 seconds with 10 queries